Change font size   Print view

Howly Wolf, Bonzer

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Howly Wolf, Bonzer

Postby smithgrind » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:47 am

Still looking for one?
I have one you might be interested in.
6ā€™2ā€¯ 20 something wide, 2 5/8 thick.
Speed egg.
smithgrind
somebody call my lawyer

Re: Howly Wolf, Bonzer

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Very interested-- I'm in the Box Zone at the moment, but game to check it out after the new year when I get back. I'll DM you my digits.

Stoked. Thanks SG!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed May 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Sometimes Craigslist works out.

Saw an ad for a 6'6 bonzer speed egg a few weeks back. It was up in Washington, but the exact dims I've been looking for so you know I had to go for it! Since the seller was open to trades, I offered up the 6'2 bonzer I got off smithgrind to see if that might sweeten the pot. Just so happens, they were looking for a five fin in those dims and were 100% into it. Trademark Campbell Bros. synchronicity in action! We ended up meeting on the North Coast and swapping boards-- no games, no haggles. It's seriously been more of a hassle ordering a boardbag for this stick than pulling off the interstate craigslist meet up necessary to procure it.

I've taken it out for three sessions so far-- high, low, and in between//mediocre, mackin, and just right. Fortunately, first go was in better conditions and I turned on immediately. Squirrely and speedy down the line (which I like); fun sensation of recoil in the bottom turns and release up top; wing in the tail loosens it up for some tight pivot and zippy little cutbacks. Seems best suited for a mellow roll in-- did quite a few faceplants when the waves got ledgey and steep. Doesn't seem to have the hold (or rocker) to make those drops, but that could just be me... Works well enough in wind fluff and/or light swell in high tide, but mostly just a drop in and trim scenario; not the preferred board for grovel conditions. Those were a few first impressions-- I'm looking forward to some more experience with it, but so far amped on it!

Want to give a shout out to smithgrind whose board, despite being what? a decade old? was almost immaculate. Seriously lightfooted surfing it seems. Despite the float to froth ratio being off for me, I was really impressed by what it allowed me to do in sub-optimal "test drive" conditions. Am a little sad not to get it out in more favorable conditions, but seems like it's in good hands with someone who will put it to work!

Also, after my first session with new board, my pineal gland de-calcified and now seems to be secreting DMT 24/7. Malcolm, Duncan, Bonzo aficionado, pediatricians... please advise :o
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 13, 2021 9:55 am

I sense Used Car Salesman on your resume Holly. Way to work CL.
Close outs just make me cranky
Major Lazer
foamball on the rocks please

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu May 13, 2021 11:52 am

You found me out, Major-- I am towsurfer.com

(just kidding and no disrespect to Erik-- that's literally his profession and apparently he's very good at it)
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf