Change font size   Print view

Deep Freeze Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Deep Freeze Sessions

Postby Tex » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:33 am

Yo...figured we had been doing COVID Session reports since May. This will be the Jan report log. Fingers crossed for high pressure, sunny skies pre/post mondo storm swells.

Happy New Years fellas...thank God for 2021, I think.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Deep Freeze Sessions

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:04 pm

20' for dayz yo. CA or even better deep Baja looks like the place to be. Time to shred some white wave me thinks.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:24 pm

how about a tad further north ML....always hating on the SoJDF ;)
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:24 pm

It's terrible up there I never go. Pineapple-esc storms coming in pretty warm and southerly. Seems like a gamble to me esp with the most exposed spots closed. Ill leave the novelties to Ben Gravy for now. :lol:

Gonna chase dry crystals and sunshine a ways from the coast for this banger...... :shock:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:30 pm

Oregon surf has been CANCELED!

Stay inside tourists!
https://twitter.com/JosephForecast/status/1348496762294571011?s=03 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:53 am

1st surf session of 2021 was far from a deep freeze. After exactly 16 days dry and major FOMO over California's stellar run, was pleasantly surprised by warm air and water (for Jan and OR off course). Coulda lost the gloves was overheating. Small kine golden hour sesh on the Fling flang flug. Exchanged Happy New Year with one of the Tilly Co. mayors and got into the rotation on the corner. Synced into the groove right off the bat. 3 days of endless dry kine white wave slashes in a high elevation interior range seemed to help keep timing and rail work on point, but eventually my arms gave out and surrendered to fresh armed frothers and the current that only lead to close outs up the beach. The sky turned to a purple hazy tint at dusk.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Well done ML....I have some guesses where you ended up based on some of small hints you dropped but stoked on the report of overheating in Jan lol!
Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 pm

oh and also define small a bit more please? Waist high?
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Yah WH to CH.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 pm

An average winter session is almost always better than an average summer session. Opting for a change of scenery and hoping for some above average sessions as the week progresses. The Covid sessions continue......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:18 pm

Did some Covid creedeling a found a few changes of scenery last week for the 1st time in months. Was able to post up, work, and kinda cherry pick my seshies based on conditions which were variable with some decent windows at the right tides. Thursday turned out to be funer than expected as it was kinda warbled and wonky most of the day and turned on for a few hours for some fun racey rights and sneaky lefts in the OH range on the sets. Stap-ish with quads was the call to get in early and generate speed as the rights were sectioney, but if you made them a lot of ground was covered often ending in a hole that was impossible to get back out from, so had to do the walk around a few times on those.

Friday paddled out mid am and was quite pleasant weather wise, warm sun beating down made it nice and toasty. Cant say the same about the waves thou, new swell had a fair amount of funk a lump in it and large sets were vaporizing the line up washing everyone in including at least one board from a broken leash. 3 walk arounds and managed a few sneaky two hit lefts, but ended up drinking more beers than waves ridden that day as it just deteriorated all afternoon. Finished work and decided on another change of scenery hoping a feature would filter the swells wonkyness into something more serviceable.

Up before dawn, coffee and breaky, but 1st check didn't look so good with some new binos Mom gave me for Xmas. Feet froze out in my gumboots as it was about 32 and I was watching for 15-20 min, so set up my heating system, watched hockey highlights, and got the feet nice and toasty. By mid am it had warmed up substantially, wind was a light offshore, and just a crispy and bright beaut of a morning 8) Top of the tide had turned and waves seemed to have some nice punch to them on the suck out esp when hitting the inside bar. A lot of the sets were walled, but there were really fun peaky cross ups in the mix and was able to get into a rythym away from the main pack which looked like about 20 heads and prob 50 spread out. Left corners were throwing barrels to pull into and pretty rippable rights. A couple buddies paddled out unexpectedly and one of them got a roll in on a left set wave that threw square on the inside bar. I was too deep and our other buddy had gone on a close out prior and saw the entire wave claiming best barrel he's seen in a long time. Seshed for 3 plus hours until the lower tide kinda killed it, went searching for dungies to bring home as peace offerings for the wifey, and headed back to town pretty sarfed out. :D
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 am

ML out slaying in Jan....well done brother
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Good report Howly..... sounds like you managed some sessions during the 1st half of Jan's winter doldrums. Ended the month with one throwaway and another average session for a total of 7 days in the water plus 3 days of white wave shredding, which is good for the midlife man. Throw away sesh my winter groveler could not make any sense of, which is a 1st. Pretty challenging, was tired physically, and apparently I needed a soft top. Next sesh was fun. Had an opp to sync into the corner, without to much pressure and got into a groove before the Sat am crowd filled in. Let's hope we get that week or so of Feb HP that often makes for good to epic sessions. Was supposed to be hitting Baja for a 10 dayer, but my buddy down south is flaking. May hit the road and see what I can find closer to home if we get a window worth driving for.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:12 am

So no surf on Sunday but me and the youngest kid wanted to explore around the coast. Hit PC and hiked the sand dune, watched massive walls slamming the point. Zero surfers out that day.

Checked the jetties and watched channels with big walls of water coming through, and watched extra large sea lions body surfing the pockets.

Watched storm swell blast the point between Nehalem and Arch Cape...oh and some massive new construction going up as well.

Checked Needles and watched wind swell pounding the rocks.

Ended up with lunch in front of Bills and a sack of candy for the ride home.

Now my 15 yr old wants to get an internship at Gorge Performance and work for a used Torq. We will see....
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf