Change font size   Print view

Paddle out for Gaz

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Paddle out for Gaz

Postby wanty » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:49 pm

Long time waiting for this, but I heard there will be a paddle out for our very own legend Gaz.

From Moment Surf co insta page:
We’ve been wanting to do a celebration of life for our friend @gaz56 for the past year, but due to the restrictions on gatherings it hasn’t been possible. Now, his beloved girlfriend Robin is finally able to go home to France and we want to honor Gary before she leaves. Our plan is for this Friday, the 12th, to have a sunset paddle out here at Cape Kiwanda followed by a bonfire to tell stories and share memories of Gaz. More details to follow, but wanted to give everyone as much a heads up as possible. For now, plan to meet on the beach at 6:00pm.

Please help spread the word to anyone who you think might like to attend. Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMLrqQah1P4/
wanty
Site Admin

Re: Paddle out for Gaz

Postby bluesilver » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:37 am

Remind me how he passed? Cancer right?
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:37 am

Pretty sure it was cancer. Wish I could go....pics please if possible.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Legend and quite the regular here back in the day. So many good stories. He was always a sounding board and inspiration for me and probably others knowing the lifestyle was still a possibility having moved back to coast after an inland stint just before turning 50 and continuing to charge thereafter. Not going to be able to make it, but rest easy Gaz you LEGEND!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Didn't know Gary personally, but whenever he'd paddle over to a peak I was on, I'd get stoked because that meant I was in the right spot. Can't say that about too many people, so attended the paddle out out of respect. The occasion was festive and brought out an assembly of heroes and kooks-- if there's a spectrum between those two poles then I'm sure a few of those folks showed up too. Was perfect as a March evening can get for the occasion-- warm air and the color of spring. Flat but for a few small sets rolling through, the circle oscillating as each wave passed on their way to their inevitable conclusion as a right hand peeler off the cape. A few such peelers were surfed afterward.

All & all, organizers did a superb job and really did justice to a life well lived and Gaz's legacy of stoke.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Couldn't make it. I did have a little time to watch virtually from a cam that gave a great perspective. Hoping to paddle out a catch some for the Gaz over the next few days.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf