Change font size   Print view

Vax Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Vax Sessions

Postby Tex » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Also, sorry for spot naming, i guess I am not convinced that between the 6 of us, we have much to worry about on this board.
Happy to hear debates for not naming spots on a fully outdated message board.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby INTERN » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm

As someone here trying to decode posts to find spots, even after some research I still get stuck on a few. And for how much I really get out from the valley, I'm probably going to SS anyway.

Got a house on the bluff in Oceanside for wife's bday, so gonna make Oct the month to get back on board...
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Leftover storm surf. Not great, but will do. Vibe was good yesterday! Helps when there's only 3 people in the water. Eventually, more showed up including one young person who started with the tactics. Annoying, but fair. While paddling back out after a left, got a front row seat watching him pig dog a beautiful backlit wall-- no tube but lip was feathering over him and i could see the pure elation on his face as he raced past. It was very humanizing and i gave him credit where it was due. Good surfing. I liked the rights better though.

Unfortunately, my bestowing of good will came to an abrupt halt this morning when I got brained by a midlength. Was racing a right (a different one) going around a section where someone was paddling back out. As the wave crumbled, her board popped through the whitewash and domed me. Session ender. Waited on the beach and when she eventually got out, said hi and mansplained that it's unacceptable to be careless with your board. I'm not into regulating, but if someone's 6'8 makes contact with my skull why should they go home glowing about a picture perfect almost autumn surf adventure? Same rules apply for me too. Sheesh roll:
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 pm

Tex wrote:Also, sorry for spot naming, i guess I am not convinced that between the 6 of us, we have much to worry about on this board.
Happy to hear debates for not naming spots on a fully outdated message board.

You're a mod now, Tex. Gotta hold you to a higher standard.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:26 am

Howly, are you all good? Any concussion? I had my rail hit me square in the ear and ruptured my ear drum at a heaving spot in Coos Bay a few years back, I thought my ear was bleeding, just fluid draining out.

Where was your sesh?
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:35 am

Bump on the head but otherwise fine-- thanks for asking. Her board clotheslined me and knocked me off the wave, but fortunately I didn't catch the rail. I did catch her surfboard though and despite her seeing me on the inside holding the damn thing, she just paddled away after i pushed it back to her. Didn't apologize, didn't ask if I'm ok-- no tact despite what could've been a very bad situation. Just to be clear, she was an adult and somewhat capable at surfing an open faced wave. I'm not just going around scolding kooks and children and women for no reason.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:19 pm

Weird, maybe she didn't know it had clotheslined you....must have been a pretty long leash too right?
Tex

Postby smithgrind » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:14 pm

Howly Wolf wrote:Bump on the head but otherwise fine-- thanks for asking. Her board clotheslined me and knocked me off the wave, but fortunately I didn't catch the rail. I did catch her surfboard though and despite her seeing me on the inside holding the damn thing, she just paddled away after i pushed it back to her. Didn't apologize, didn't ask if I'm ok-- no tact despite what could've been a very bad situation. Just to be clear, she was an adult and somewhat capable at surfing an open faced wave. I'm not just going around scolding kooks and children and women for no reason.

Sounds like something I've seen on kookslams IG account.
I wouldn't have been so diplomatic about it. There would certainly be a convo
before I would give the board back.
Glad to hear you weren't too damaged by the bailed board.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Probably should have addressed it in the water, but either way the lesson was learned. I'm just glad there still exist places for solitude, one of which I surfed today. It was alright-- required near-constant paddling to stay in position, but a few gems were mined. The lefts might've been better than the rights, but either way paid off if you worked for it.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Posted up for the later half of the week, last week and managed one quality fall like session that offered some juice and ample opportunity to put it on a rail on the Ghost. In fact it was more about stalling it out, eyeing the lip, and timing out top turns compared to the racing of closeouts as of late. Fun pockety surf and some long ones 8) Weather was all time Thur and Fri, the later being uber user friendly and got the wifey and youngest gromitta out on my lunch break. Shorites was an absolute mad house when we drove by on our way home Sat mid day. Cars parked on the shoulder a mile north. I guess the September Sessions "are a vibe" now. :roll:
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby buoyhead » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:14 pm

Last Friday was nice. 80 degrees, offshore winds all day, just myself and 3 good friends. And one unwelcome guest to spoil the party. When friend A, about 30 yards away says in a voice much too reserved and calm then the situation warranted, said, “Hey, it’s a shark”. And it was. It crossed in front of him, about 10 yards away, disappeared, then cruised by to his side about 5 feet away. We all made it to shore (high tide, it wasn’t far to go). Spent the next hour looking at the nifty a frame barrels and lamenting our inability/unwillingness to indulge further. I’ve been surfing that particular place for over 40 years and that’s “only” the second time I’ve seen a shark there, last time about 15 years ago. Thinking of the old axiom “The third times the charm” and weighing my odds.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:17 pm

Nothing like a close encounter with an apex predator to show you what you're really made of. Glad you and the boys kept it cool and made it out unscathed. Respect.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:47 pm

Tis the season! Funny cause after surfing with the fam that same day at Sands went looking for Dad waves with the lack of wind and butter conditions. Had a certain spot in mind I was getting some good ones at this past spring given afternoon's tide window. Its a sharky one due to the geography and when I got eyes on it, noticed one head was out and the another paddling out. Sand bar was out a little further than I like and there were half a dozen fishing boats bobbing. Turned out so were the surfers, just sitting out like bait and no real rides of note IMO. Took a hard pass opting for a cold one and some fresh seafood elsewhere.

In recent news ended Sept on a fall winterish note and started Oct with more of the usual late summer early fall stuff. Cant say September was anything I'll remember as good or will stand out. Had a few good ones at some spots I hadn't surfed in a while, but mostly a few average sessions a week. La Nina swell train seems to be coming on pretty strong. Maybe to much of a good thing....... par for the course I guess.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:14 pm

I think we are all over vax sessions, vax talk, vax this, and vax that...... I know I am so created new thread.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf