Change font size   Print view

Vax Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Vax Sessions

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Oh I saw that guy all right-- didn't catch the skills warranting a multi cam set up, but he might have dual angles of me picking off several waves that he missed.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:20 pm

that is effing hilarious Howly, maybe gave him a little vid tutorial he can review at home lol!!!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:07 pm

Not so sure anyone should mimic my subpar surfing, but happy to help if it means more waves for me.

Major Lazer wrote: On Saturday a pod of Orcas came through!! Always a rare treat!

You see them at Otter Slops? Might've caught a glance a little south of there the week prior. Really calm day, dorsal fin popped up-- figured it was harbor porpoise, but then didn't see it again so thought maybe I was tripping out on a cormorant or something. A few days later, same spot ramped up with some disorganized H-OH windswell. Through the melee, out to see I saw a big ol' creature pop up, lunge, and submerge. Definitely not a cormorant. Again assumed it was a porpoise, but orca would make more sense since it didn't fully exit water and seemed of similar size.

Been a lot of killa whale sightings this spring from Depoe Bay to Seaside. Wild times!

https://www.beachconnection.net/news/or ... 052421.php
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Yah. Devils Punchbowl from the beach. They were out towards the point and came in a little ways before b lining it to the actual Otter Rock. Anyone up at the viewpoint must of had an amazing view. My initial spotting was one breaching, then it was fins and spouts every 4 or 5 minutes. Luckily had my binos in my surf pack.

The long tall narrow dorsal fin is pretty distinguishable from anything else out there. I don't often see porpoises along the coast. Maybe seen one or two, a handful of times. Guess they hang further offshore. Interesting article and thanks for the link! Spring is typically when the Orcas cruise the Oregon Coast, but it sounds like there have been a ton of them around this season from Seaside to Brookings. They occasionally go up the bays as well. I remember seeing some pics on iFish of them in Nehalem Bay and also heard they went into Yaquina one year and gobbled up a bunch of the seals that hang out on the Bayfront dock.

Anyways had a decent sesh early last week. Not much else to report....... June has been a slow one for me compared to the last 3 months. Getting one surf per week. Not ideal and doesn't warrant the number of boards and other gear I have, but I guess I cant complain.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm

I’ve been getting out about once a week as well, twice if I can manage it. Probably about right for the gear I have (and explains the level of skill I don’t :lol: ). Haven’t been doing write ups as most of them could be summarized as “kooky guy does kooky things.” My last couple of sessions have been pretty good, though. Wouldn’t say they were glorious, but more like “kooky guy does less kooky things.” Had a lot of fun, though, so that makes me the best surfer in the water according to random quotes on the internet and probably my mom.

A couple of sessions ago as I was taking off my gear I noticed a thumbnail-sized curved slice in the rubber on the back of my wetsuit. I have no idea how that even happened. Didn’t take any fins to the back (or to my face :lol: ) and there’s no reef to be dragged on. Sure, it could have been a fingernail gouge but this was in the rubber in the middle of my back, not a place I would normally grab while shimmying into my neoprene sausage casing. Anyway, bought some cement, fixed it myself and while the repair certainly isn’t pretty, it actually held during my last session, so I'm counting that as a win.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:31 am

BOX wrote:I’ve been getting out about once a week as well, twice if I can manage it. Probably about right for the gear I have

One or two boards and one wetsuit is all you really need. Otherwise it just gets complicated. That's all I really had for a fair amount of time I lived costal.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:12 pm

Yeah, at this point in my progression I’d ideally like to build a 3-board quiver: the mid-length egg I already have, a long board for smaller summer days, and a possibly a fish after that. I’ve got a soft-top available to me if I ever need it as well. The one wetsuit should work for me in theory, but after having to do two repair jobs in the not quite a year that I’ve had it makes me think I should start saving for a back-up…
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:05 pm

Socked in tight early this morning, so had to drive a distance for visible waves. Never seen the 101 so jam packed with car campers-- not just the usual vanlife crowd, but all manners of vehicle, outfitted or otherwise. We're talking every primary pull off, wayside, and overlook for a long while... Heat wave refugees in full effect. Nevertheless managed a string of decent low (or no) crowd sessions over the past few days. Fun swell in the water-- got a little meaty yesterday too!. Shortboard sufficed. Settled for dumpy shorepound this morning at the only game in town then pedal to the metal on an empty stretch of lane, eastbound, passing a near constant procession of daytrippers en route to cooler albeit more crowded pastures.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby harg » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:56 pm

Missed this weekend, caught a few the week before, a few more in the weeks before that, and if memory serves, it's been a pretty darn good spring! I dare say that on a number of occasions, everyone's favorite beginner spot has resembled an actual surf spot with waves that i'd describe as "good" rather than just "fun; you know, at least i was in the water". As for whether it is a beginner spot, I think it's more a spot with lots of beginners, which I find perfectly ok for the most part. Even when there's a lot of people, it rarely feels crowded. More often than not, I find myself sitting by myself or with just a couple other surfers (surfers in this case being people that can catch waves). would I rather it be completely uncrowded and peaceful, with no random people floating aimlessly halfway through a wave, of course. but i'd also rather it have a sand-bottom point on the south end, with a slabby barreling right on the north end, and a trestles like peak in the middle. sometimes though, you end up being a surfer in Oregon.
harg
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 pm

Hadn't surfed in 3 weeks to be exact. Have had my head down learning a new job, taking online classes at night to supplement the learning process, and well being a Dad to whatever degree possible given the circumstances. Went from hero status to zero status. Be careful what you wish for! Exhaustion, small windows of time, 3-5 at 8s and 9s and the prospect of ending up at Sands given the winds, have left little motivation to make the ole schlep over the range.

That said, saw the medium sized W LP pulse and light winds on the charts coinciding with the weekend before the 4th holiday, which is normally a mellow weekend so arranged a hall pass with the fam and a day off in advance. Well then there was this heat wave thing. Hit the road early, washed the road grime off with a surprisingly fun one in the fog pre swell, and trenched in deep before the valley onslaught. Spent the next few days posted up and surfing my brains out 2-3 times a day. Sessions varied, but Sat was the highlight. Pumping swell and waves with consequence combined with abnormal conditions (sunshine, high temps, and butter) throughout the day and zero cell service had me feeling like I was in West Oz, Baja, or somewhere exotic. June Juice! It was kinda surreal honestly. Beat the heat most definitely sleeping in my backpacking tent under ancient old growth by the side of crystal clear creek to the sound of an owl hooting at one of my long time secret dispersed camping spots 8) Sun was intense during the day and ended up pretty fried :oops: , mostly my eyes thou. :shock:

Ran into a few friends, meet some new ones, and enjoyed the overall friendly vibe and sparse line up. At times it was just me and my buddy trading waves. All and all pretty damn good, but in back of my head thoughts of the heat wave, the record breaking temps, and what this all means had me kinda tripping a bit :shock: Our children have BIG problems to solve :!: Regardless its was good to be back in the water breathing the salty air and always good to GTFO PDX where it seems to be one thing or the other these days!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:58 am

Where the Boys of Summer at? Awfully quiet here.

Did here there were fun waves to be had over the holiday weekend and even quiet at times, but I was no where near the ocean.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Laid low this froth of July, earning my keep domestically. Might take the old lady out for a silly surf here soon, but otherwise haven't been too inspired since the aforementioned june juice. In the meantime, fulfilling my patriotic duty by scrubbing 5lbs of spray paint & varnish off a yater spoon I scored cheap off craigs last week -- yellow and beat beneath the layers, but a rider that I do intend to ride. Worth it? We shall see...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:55 am

Ah I thought if anyone was mining Summer waves it'd be Howly. I hear ya though..... best to put in the time domestically before fall swells start.

Hoping I'll have a decent handle on my new job by fall. Looks like we will be going back to the office when the kidos start school, but I am hoping for a 3 day remote 2 in the office hybrid. And when I am in the office, only an hour w/ zero traffic for the after work eve fall glass seshies. 8) Looking forward to September sessions.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm

just got back from my wedding anniversary trip to San Diego North County. Only 3 nights so did a morning sesh at Moonlight beach. Water was 70 with consistent but only chest high rights at the south end. Heading back for a fall trip with homies to celebrate the big 50. Should be fun.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:49 pm

Nice work Tex! Moonlight is fun. I'm typically down there for a week in July attending an industry conference, but has been virtual last 2 years. Usually get a decent south and even if not, seems to always be something to ride. Love how the beachies down there have consistently good shape and are always glassy in the mornings. 70 degree water sounds so good, still hand stinging cold here.

Got out over the weekend for the little 4'-5' - 10-11 sec bump and 1st sesh on the new custom perfegg (performance egg) was an eye opener. Hype is for reals. 1st wave, 3 cruisey turns with a floater mixed in. My youngest gomita saw it and exclaimed later on the beach "Daddy that was a good wave you got more turns that I have ever seen" :lol: Love the way board paddles and just rolls into waves and more maneuverable and responsive then I was thinking it would be. 2+1 set up is drivey and pivoty off the top. Been a while since I have surfed a single. Found it hard to turn and burn on the bigger board and go late. Seemed to like time and space to get lined up and paddle in. Perhaps I need more time on this stick to dial late take offs. Also only went front side on it, so no feel for what it rides like going left. Sand bar seems good at this particular spot, yet the good ones were not totally consistent, and the current was a bit of a chore. Still only one other bloke on it, mid day, mid tide, on a mid summer Saturday. 8)
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf