Change font size   Print view

Vax Sessions

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Vax Sessions

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:27 pm

It's easy to make fun of the midlength/egg until you ride one and experience the flow. Mine tends to cavitate on steeper waves, so not my first choice for critical situations... but, man, does it go in more laid back HH/OH surf. A blast on the backhand as well 8)

My domestic tranquility was interrupted by a few days of decent windswell. Packed up three boards for the occasion and surfed my brains out. Not exactly dialed in, but got a taste of sensation each board offered-- the 5th gear of the 6' quad fish, responsiveness of the ol' 6'4 utility sb, casual trim of the 9'3 lb along backlit walls. Friday was easy going, WH rights ripe for some cross steppin'. Surfed two popular spots solo Sat. am/pm; arvo was practically empty even though the swell was building and wind was low -- a few familiar chargers out, which always helps reinforce the decision to take the swim. Conversely, the boys of summer had me feeling old during my last session early Sunday morning, but I outlasted them in that stinging cold water so I have that going for me. Paddle out was brutal at times and clean up sets were frequent, but that made the tweeners all the more rewarding when everything lined up. A welcome relief from summer fluff and valley dust. It'll do!
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 am

Tell me more about that Egg ML! My old surf homey from gradeschool is hyping the CI Mid as a magic stick, I am def considering a move in that direction.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 am

Yah its basically a similar outline and design to the CI Mid. Art at North Pacific has refined his traditional speed egg template and is making something similar for a fair bit cheaper and no bro-brah-bro-down bottle necks during the glassing process doing only his own shapes in house. Turn around was about 5 weeks and mine is custom a 2+4 giving it a quad option, but a few of them showed up on the racks at at Gorge around the same time.

I've always had 7'ish eggy funboard in the quiver, but they were 90's early 2G's relics I inherited from friends. The last one yellowed and pretty dead flex wise. Although it was nicely foiled it seemed to have a rocker profile of a big guy shortboard, what my friend used this board for before he threw in the towel and quit surfing. Anyways the board just did not catch waves well considering the volume and although it was fairly response and could hack a lip, it required a bit of input to get down the line and just didn't have the built in glide, which is the 1st thing I noticed with the new board.

New stick appears to have a little chinne in the nose and just up front, which is new to me and perhaps a bit of a speed maker. At 2 7/8 thick its easily the thickest board I own and prob would of asked for 2 1/2 but I left all that up to Art sans length which I set at 7'1". Although thick, its nicely foiled as I requested and domed making for a real nice rail that is not chunky at all. Tail is refined and thinned, another request I made giving it that magic of the top and responsiveness. I do not like thick chunky tails in any of my boards. Rocker wise I believe its continuous yet mellow and bottom goes from flat entry to mellow single with a V starting 6" to 8"s in front of the side bites. Being able to duckdive this board was another consideration, and I envisioned less foam honestly, but the board is just in that realm.

Anyways I think the design incorporates important attributes that were not present in my previous fun boards. Attributes from longboards, like the chinned rails to modern foil and bottom contours. 1st sesh had some swell yet was still summery with a weak push. this beach usually has punch to it and it did on the inside, but was nice to have the extra foam to get into the outside peaks where the other guy on a SB or CI fish beard was having issues. We will see how it goes down at Sands. I'm dreaming of soul arches and long drawn out gut back in front of the frothy snakey boys of summer.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Excellent Ted Talk, Major -- the tech specs are on point. I'm very interested in how your board goes as a quad. Keep us posted.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Full disclosure- I have never come across the descriptor "little chinne" color me curios!
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 pm

Surfboard Rail 101. Sometimes referred to as beveled.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:09 am

As FLAT as it gets. AKA Pancakes! Take that Boys of Summer :lol: Glad I have other hobbies.

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am

Thanks ML, that was enlightening.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:21 pm

GF wanted to go to a beach yesterday for her birthday, so snuck in a summer slummer while we were there. Barely surfable-- 1-2' combo swell ripped to shreds by afternoon north winds. Caught a few that barely resembled surfing and called it good. Water remains frosty. Tourists in full effect. It is what it is.
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:29 pm

BYE BYE JULY. U SUK!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:05 pm

E37CF9BF-557A-473C-AE9B-E80391BD3367.jpeg
E37CF9BF-557A-473C-AE9B-E80391BD3367.jpeg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 17145 times

What a drag.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Chanel Derrière » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:01 am

Did a big loop of our fine state's NW corner. Hit a three skateparks. No one riding at all except in Astoria which was hosting a pretty wild BMX comp. Pretty rad to watch. Fueled up on a Cornish Pasty and went south to pick up a repaired board (failed air to fin box bust) and luckily tried to put the fin in only to find the repair guy hadn't set it properly so I couldn't get it in... Just great...

Anyway, Had a back up board with me and found some glassy waves at HT sundown with the occasional set that actually resembled real surf. You know where. Sunday Evening. Cold. Aching like mofo today. Need to take a skate break.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby smithgrind » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:38 pm

Got an early squirrelly session in yesterday. Paddled out at spot N
with glassy short period wind swell popping up peaks here and there.
Nothing really frothy to report. Got a handful of decent rides on my seldom
ridden LB but I just as well could have been on a shortboard. Waves were kinda dumpy
and stacked up on the inside but you could thread the needle and link sections into the shallow white
water. Not the best scenario for nose rides and trimming but at least the wind was laying off and there
was just the two of us out.
Back home by 11am and stayed salty the rest of the day. Maintenance and short respite from the val...
I'll take it.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:12 pm

looks thumpy today at pc
Tex

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf