Change font size   Print view

E-Foil Boards

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

E-Foil Boards

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:40 pm

So I saw an e-foil board at SS this spring and didn't really think much of it. The rider was about 200 yrds outside of the line up and basically just doing big loops. Seemed kinda boring.

Last week, my youngest brother who lives up on Orcas got to take one for a spin. Now, he has surfed with me on and off for a number of years, he definitely can hold his own but not a regular surfer, he is way more in to pickleball these days.

So he called me up and gave me the run down, starting with "it has changed my life forever". Kinda joking but at the end of the day, he is most likely going to get one....these are not cheap either, like between $7-10K.

He said, I would ride it every day on the island. it was the closest thing to flying that he has ever experienced.

I was curious about how they operate in waves, I am sure basically anything can be ridden.

Let me know if ya'll have tried them, I will prob give them a whirl next time I am on island.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: E-Foil Boards

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:34 pm

I have yet to see one in Oregon. I know there are a lot out in the Gorge thou. I guess Art is shaping a ton of em for windsurfing. Saw a women the other day here either setting up or packing up. Didn't see her actually doing it. Seems like a fun hobby in a costal area with no waves like Orcas. I bet the glide is neat feeling.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:13 am

I recall a time when I felt that SUP boarders had no business being in the line up with surfers....seemed too dangerous especially beginner SUP riders that could send their shite all over the place and risk hitting others in the water. I would also feel pretty darn nervous about an E-Foil board that got shot out from a rider who lost balance on a wave or on the way out to the line up. Anyone else here feel those worries may be unwarranted?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:18 am

TBH I don't see to many SUPs in the line ups around here. Maybe PC on the cam? Have never seen E Foilers anywhere. Seems like the reason to do it. Get away from the surfing crowds. So many empty beaches with imperfect waves for traditional surfing. But people are dumb, so who knows.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 am

I see SUPs in the line-up at the usual spots here on the central coast. Not tons, but seeing one or two out in the water on a summer's day wouldn't be unusual.

I saw an e-foil in action once. Trying to remember what beach it was on... maybe Otter? It was a while back. I didn't feel particularly threatened, but we had some good distance between us and he left shortly after I arrived. If he was buzzing in close when it was crowded maybe I'd have a different opinion. But until I have a personal reason to hate I'm remaining neutral.

NGL, I would totally try one if given the opportunity.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:52 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:53 pm

I was in Maui a few weeks ago and surfed at a spot that was crawling with standard surf foilers.
It was a bit disconcerting at first, especially when I noticed a few of them had helmets and Kevlar
vests. Hmmm, maybe I should bail on this spot?…after trading off waves with a few of them I decided
to stay. Everyone was very cool, supportive and casual. Got into a convo with an older dude who explained
the concept and techniques to me then offered up his foil if I wanted to give it a go. I declined, but it did spark
my interest as this crew was having hella fun and it was my first time seeing it done properly up close.
Turned out to be a most enlightening session.
I did see an E foiler and wind foiler at a different beach just cruising through the wind chop a good hundred yards plus
off the shore. Looked okay but I was more interested in body surfing the shore pound.
smithgrind
greystoke

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf