Change font size   Print view

Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Not expecting to much this season with impending La Nina. Sure there will be some moments of goodness thou. Looking back at OSP data during an arduously long work meeting, 2008 seemed to be a good Fall. Conditions and sand seemed to be favorable. Perhaps I had more time on my hands PK (pre kids). Perhaps we all did. Who knows? Getting old and trying to stay stoked. Still trying to figure out how to capture all my report data over the last 15 or so years before this site finally tanks. Anyways post em if ya got em.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Surf log

Postby Tex » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:41 am

Just got back from 2 days at the coast. Talked to "Brett" who lurks on the OSP site now and again. He said he got multiple barrels at the Sands on saturday. My pal who I crashed with at Manzanita verified that Sat was proper and many youths were killing it.

We did some fishing on Sunday AM down at Wheeler, sorry for spot dropping but didnt catch anything, always tough when you can literally see the fish jumping.

Kept hoping for the swell to drop and clean up but never did, it was fun to watch guys paddling for 20 min and never make it out. There were 2 surfers WAAAAAAY outside on the north end but mostly just bobbing around.

Manzanita had some large swells rolling through at secret spots but no one out.

Ended up doing some hikes and playing pickleball on the new courts at a secret spot a touch east of SS.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Chanel Derrière » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:18 am

Chased the sun with the storm swell and rain to my rear down to the State of Jeff. Pulled up to out of hand conditions but things settled quick the next morning. Glassy first day in a usually very windy zone. Rad to scope some potential spots and spy on Southern Oregon's most notorious ER poster. I didn't barge any of his sessions but took note of his spots.

Anyway, 3 very fun sessions. Mostly alone. A few very memorable waves. Nothing epic or that big considering how big the buoys were reading. Mostly chest high or so but decent shape. One memorable right hand tube effort that I knew was going to go south very quick but the view captivated me. Full bell ringer smack down but all good. Friendly locs this time and even got commended on my solo session while another dude was hanging with his family on the beach. Best session, I pulled up and a geezer from Eugene just says "don't even look, just go." Nice to have a decision made for you even if he was a little over-ampy in his assessment. Only surfed one board. You know the one. Nice to get it fully dialed in after a couple of shocker sessions here and there. Oh and really comfortable temp water in a usually frigid zone.

Other than that didn't really speak to anyone for five days, stared at the ocean, lost and found my mind a little, didn't spend money on anything except petrol, caught a few grinds, let Spotify take me on some journeys.

Came home the long way after dipping south of the border for a respectful nod to an absent road-dog (mediocre but fun).

Otherwise, like last Autumn I don't have much faith this one is going to be that great, after we had several in a row that were pretty special...oh well...

See you in the Cove on over-sized boards, fellows.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby BOX » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:09 am

September was a bit of a bust for me. Had a lot of other things going on family-wise so only got in the water I think twice all month. So I was a bit frothing to finally get out again last night. I would like to tell you all it was a glorious return, but I pretty much got pummeled all evening. Very few other heads in the water making the paddle out. Ended up surfing with a random guy who was giving good vibes all session so that was cool. Too bad I couldn't convert any of those good vibes into good rides, but had a fun night in the water nonetheless. Thanks, random dude.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:00 pm

5 days off Chanel.... surprised you did not join your enbro south of the border 8) ? Looked good. Did you make The Ruk's rando report?

Tex can confirm youth rippage via report and clip I was sent by a hommie on Sat mid day. Per usual flurries of good ones amongst the reverb thou. While fast and closey have seen more slotage and small tubers per usual on the right ones at middle. Showed up late to the party, intentionally so, and explored another zone that just might be shaping up per rains as the season is fleeting. Just a handful of us, mostly old timers and old faces, all smiles and nice and quiet. I can also confirm some old dog rippage as well. Unfortunately though just around sun set a 3 pack paddles over and a long harried bearded hoodless guy would not shut up hooting a hollering yelling at his buddies and us as we slid into some post set ramps. Kinda killed the tranquil old timer vibe we had going.

BOX I know how it goes and glad you got out dere.

I can only hope it's not Social Securities from here on out, but the mid has been collecting dust in favor of shred sleds. Might be good to see some return on investment :?:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby bluesilver » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:33 pm

Tex wrote:Just got back from 2 days at the coast. Talked to "Brett" who lurks on the OSP site now and again. He said he got multiple barrels at the Sands on saturday. My pal who I crashed with at Manzanita verified that Sat was proper and many youths were killing it.

We did some fishing on Sunday AM down at Wheeler, sorry for spot dropping but didnt catch anything, always tough when you can literally see the fish jumping.

Kept hoping for the swell to drop and clean up but never did, it was fun to watch guys paddling for 20 min and never make it out. There were 2 surfers WAAAAAAY outside on the north end but mostly just bobbing around.

Manzanita had some large swells rolling through at secret spots but no one out.

Ended up doing some hikes and playing pickleball on the new courts at a secret spot a touch east of SS.

Nice Brother, sounds good all over.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Chanel Derrière » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Major Lazer wrote:5 days off Chanel.... surprised you did not join your enbro south of the border 8) ? Looked good. Did you make The Ruk's rando report?

:

Thought about a Baja Norte Mish but I didn't feel like standing in line at the border with thousands of people during Delta on the way back in. He has Global Entry so he's fine. Next time. I don't even follow Enbro on IG anymore so I have no idea if he scored. :lol:

I didn't make Ruk's report as I was watching him and not the other way around... maybe... :shock:

It was Blue, it was.
Chanel Derrière

Postby smithgrind » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:23 pm

I fully kooked it on Saturday and opted for Brohampton instead of the sands.
Caught a clean right with a corner to work and thought hmmm...that was kinda fun.
Got caught inside about 20 minutes later and got bounced off the bottom while
duck diving a double suck up wave. Once I made it back to the line up I checked my board
to discover my right side fin and box at a 45 degree angle. Oops, sesh is over! I hooked my
thumb back towards the beach and told Slimvest I'd see him back at the car. By the time I
navigated my way back to waist high water the shore pound had picked my pocket and the
fin and futures fin box were gone. Brand new fins...of course.

Waves were shite, btw.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 pm

You sure did...... bars have been shot in da Hamps for many dayz now. Been the word on the Doug Fir wireless and even the casual cam jockey can see that. Curse of the 15 dolla parking fee burn? Bender brohos must be bummed. Hope you got your laybacks on in the skate park thou and only one board in tow with that stacked quiver?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Formula for Brohammpton

(Small swell - wind) * HT/ SOCAM = corners - crowds.

Small period can actually be OK, HT, North BW/ SOCAM

But that season is mostly over.

Nuke da condos and maybe life beyond endless closeouts will return?
Chanel Derrière

Postby smithgrind » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Major Lazer wrote:You sure did...... bars have been shot in da Hamps for many dayz now. Been the word on the Doug Fir wireless and even the casual cam jockey can see that. Curse of the 15 dolla parking fee burn? Bender brohos must be bummed. Hope you got your laybacks on in the skate park thou and only one board in tow with that stacked quiver?

Haha. sounds like someone needs a rinse.
I've had more good days there than bad ones this year. :wink:
SoCam and Nbw doesn't show up on the cam. If you know, then you go. 8)
Haven't paid the parking pass yet but I did get creative in making space. :idea:
The skate park gate was closed to cars but you squeeze by in person. No idea why they did this :roll:
Yes, I guess I could've brought another board but sometimes it's fun to commit to one. :lol:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 am

Ah da Epicenter repopos start to trickle in :lol: :lol: :D I'll take your words for it, it's been at least 9 mos since I laid me own eyes oner...... but coasties do know the mosties and there's more than one cam my friends. A little hacking with dev tools :idea: can go a long way sometimes. Your not out of sight down there. Fairly rinsed as of recent, besties being closer to home.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:25 am

Major Lazer wrote: there's more than one cam my friends. e.

we ain't as clueless as you think, ML. some info best kept....
Chanel Derrière

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:33 am

I always pack the stap this time of year. Ya never know.........
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf