Change font size   Print view

Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Surf Log

Postby Doc » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 am

Got in to San Jose del Cabo at the end of the day on a Saturday. 6 of us and rented a mini van from Cactus. Highly recommend them, very pro. Picked us up at the gate, headed to the nearby rental office & on our way within 30 minutes.
Stopped at the supermercado for supplies...tequila, beer, some food. Of course, by the time shopping was done it was fully dark. Which, while driving the highways in Mexico in the dark is not recommended as a rule...the highways between Los Cabos and Todos Santos are pretty safe.

Still, finding the house in the dark was mildly stressful and only made one wrong turn before locating it. (Did roll through a bus stop in CSL though which garnered some "Stupid Gringo" type glances). Got up in the early am & rented a board in Cerritos. Surfed a couple hours but it was pretty closed out. Got a few waist to chest high waves and despite the 2-3 foot swell the 15 second period definitely gave the waves a little punch.

Checked a few places locally but Cerritos was the best wave given the conditions and windows I had to get out. Since we only had the one car and 6 people that wanted to do mostly non-surf stuff I only got in the water 3 more times usually for a couple hours. The point at San Pedrito never really woke up despite checking daily but looks like it could be great with a little bigger swell.

Road tripped north of Todos Santos...largely beach break. To La Paz for a city day and back. And an all day East Cape drive to test out the rental van off road capability. The East Cape area by Shipwrecks looks amazing, there was no surf but the set up is correct.

561 days to retirement...531 years after Columbus jacked it all up & 254 years from when my grandfathers left Loreto for San Diego.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Re: Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:06 pm

Nice Doc. Sounds like a fun trip!! Ah Cerritos..... way back in the mid 90s I bought myself and a girl I had just gotten smitten with (my now wife) RT tickets to Cabo for 60 bones a pop on some weird airline out of Denver. Yes 60 bones! We were snow bumming at the time and the season was done. It was early May.

Anyways stumbled on Cerritos driving north from Cabo, which was basically an empty beach at the time long before the Oregon developer built the BS hotel on the bluff. Camped and surfed there for a day or so and don't remember seeing anyone including the person who came out of the abandoned trailer park and stole a $20 bill out of the renal car we dumbly left unlocked :roll: At the time we were in the water and scared the shite out of my wife when she got caught in the channel along the headland there. Suffice to say not a good intro into surfing. After a night there we camped at San Pedrito for several and got pretty fun waves there. It was off season, but got a little west pulse that made a little Trestles like peak. Had beers at Franks Place in town and meet some interesting charters we partied with back at their place. Went back to Cabo and ended up getting Zippers pretty fun on a south. All and all a classic trip with zero planning all booked on the fly without any idea of surf forecasts.

Been back several times since, once driving from central OR coast. Cerritos is a beachie that is a go when there is not a ton of swell. San Pedrito is kind of a broken up point, not perfect but super fun when its good. My favorite spot is a legit right point closer to town. Never got the East Cape, but know of the spots. Haven't been back to Todos area since early 2000s and I know its changed a ton, but whatta ya gonna do. Warm places with waves semi close to the States are a commodity. If you cant beat em join em.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf