Change font size   Print view

Oregon Surf Shops Past and Present

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Oregon Surf Shops Past and Present

Postby Chanel Derrière » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:39 pm

zzzzzz
Last edited by Chanel Derrière on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:11 pm

W-O-W
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:38 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:40 pm

buoyhead wrote:Raven Surf Shop in Seaside with boards built by Florida Phil.
Circa 1978. Short-lived.

Did Bill Fackrell bring it back to life in the 90's when he had that shop off of 101?
Or was that a Raven of a different feather?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:13 pm

Had never been into Pura. Passed many times back in Philomath days. Then when I started taking my girls to Otter, I noticed they'd moved there. Thought it was more or less a rental operation for a while, but one time while getting post surf scoops at the cream shop right there I found a very nice used O'Neil Mutant for my youngest on the rack outside. Went in to pay and was surprised by a nice collection of TPats and Zouvis. Also 1st time seeing the Buell suits. Spent some time at the OG Ocean Pulse location on the east side of 101 shooting the shite and grabbing goods. No other shops in Newport at that time. Knew Greg better than Tom. Greg was always on it locally and traveled a lot. Had 3 OP's during that time and got an OG RNF there my 1st into to Mahem shapes. Mind was kinda blown after 1st few surfs on that board.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Seems to be some type of shop in the the South Beach surf mecca these days? Saw a surfboard sign for it this past fall and was just thinking about it. I know there has been some development back there by the Community College. Last time I attended a seminar there my colleges and I hit a new brewery right there afterwards. Wolf Creek? Maybe its in one of those new buildings?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:00 am

Yeah, that’s South Beach Surf Shop. The owner came into my work to take care of some business and spread the word shortly after they opened last summer. I overheard him saying that he used to coach the USA surf team and had moved up here to set up shop. Looked him up, saw that he was indeed connected to the USA surf team and figured I should stop by sometime. So one afternoon when I had some extra time I stopped in on my way home from work.

I thought the place was kind of hard to find. It’s tucked back in the Aquarium Village with a bunch of other little shops. I was expecting a store like Ossie’s, Ocean Pulse, etc., where I could just kind of browse and maybe pick up a bar of wax but it more resembled a big storage unit. Now, I was there only a few weeks after they opened so things may have changed, but basically it was a wide space with a roll-up storefront and racks of boards along the sides. There was a glass counter with fins and other accoutrements in it as well. Did not see any neoprene.

There was a decent amount of boards there at the time, but other than a few big wave guns they were mostly shortboards. I didn’t see any logs which is kind of what I was interested in checking out. The guy had me pegged as a kook right off the bat. I walked up and right away he asked me if I wanted to learn how to surf (yes, god yes, so badly…). He was offering a 2-hour lesson for $80 and you get film footage of yourself included. Didn’t think that was that bad based on what other shops in the area are offering. I talked to him for about two minutes about lessons until he turned and left me while I was mid-sentence to talk about boards with another couple who had walked in. I guess he figured I was a low-value customer. Since I took the break as an opportunity to head out without even buying that stick of wax, I guess he was right.

He seemed like a nice guy, though, and if you aren’t a kook like me and can actually hold a conversation about different shapes of HPSBs, then it might be a good place to stop in. Didn’t seem like the kind of place you’d swing by to just browse for t-shirts, stickers, or other touristy things like that, though. YMMV.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 am

zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:32 pm

Btw you're not exactly a kook-- I think you just need to surf more

Thanks, Howly. I agree with you. Well, the second part at least... :lol:

I typically hit up Ossie's for things like wax and repair materials. I've gone through Cleanline for pretty much all of my wetsuit/boots/gloves/leash orders. I'm a sucker for free Starbursts I guess.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:40 pm

Oh one of those guys...... hopefully a few shitey winters will scare him away. I'll be surprised if the market really goes down from here TBH and now that SB is pretty much on PDX crowd levels well, if you build it they will come :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm

totally forgot about the free starbursts lol....remember getting those in a number of shipments from them over the years.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby smithgrind » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:22 pm

Anybody check Safari in LC? Never been.
One time I was checking boards at Mike Jipp's shop after a surf and I leaned over to
scope the bottom contours of board I had on the stands. Post Nasal released a heavy
puddle and watched the hydrodynamics as it ran off the tail. Jipp wasn't pleased :?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 am

Yeah. Been there forever as with the owner. He was surfing PC back in the 70s and 80s. Tony originally opened shop in Manzo then moved to the LC. I believe he was the 1st OR shop to have Merrick's and is still well stocked with them today. All and all small core shop with quality gear and no fluff IMO.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf