Change font size   Print view

Gas Prices

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Gas Prices

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:08 am

:lol: good one.

Couple factors I would take into account:

:idea: 4 cylinder with fuel injection system.
:idea: light color for when you leave your boards in the car at the office in the summer for those after work go outs when there are no waves. oh wait what office?
:idea: 4 door preferably Japanese make with fold down rear seats. this allows low key board storage up to about 7'4" IME. rack system and added thule box will kill the gas mileage vibes and blow your cover at localized or secret sand bars.
:idea: no stickers or any indication that you surf. Grandpa vibes for the win. dont want the boys of summer sniffin ya out at your super duper top secret sand bar.
:idea: soft rack for the times you wanna roll to Sharts with you 3 BFF's. in my case day trip w/ fam. note will leak during rain events. found this out the hard way during the Vets day storm last Nov.
:idea: air freshener is not a bad idea to kill pissy wetsuit smell on the long drive home. everything is tighter in a sedan esp with rear seats folded down. I'd recommend classic tree over Sex Wax variety for reasons mentioned above
:idea: pick up a Haines manual. DIY repair is not that hard on 2G model sedans
:idea: not necessary but a set of studded snow tires are helpful to grip the coast range icy roads in the winter
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:20 pm

4 door preferably Japanese make with fold down rear seats. this allows low key board storage up to about 7'4" IME

I drive a Japanese make and can confirm mine could fit the 8' foamie. It was a bit tight, though. It fits the 7'6" much better. If I go any longer, though, I think I'm going to have to spring for a soft rack.

It's not a light color, though, so the possibility of a melted waxy mess is definitely significant. However, it does eliminate the need of an air freshener when everything in the car smells like sticky bumps...
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:45 pm

For a dedicated surf rig Id recommend hard rack over soft. The leaking issue is a pain and well its pretty rainy in these parts. I don't have to use mine to often. Not to mention you don't have to drive nearly as far as we do to surf, so hard rack probably wont me much of a ding in mileage.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:35 am

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:39 pm

There you go..... Civic is good. 40 seems a little high thou. Accord has a little more room. Good luck.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:45 pm

I also might add getting a boot or kill switch especially for a Civic. Were seeing at least one car a night get stolen on the average around here right now. We are all putting boots on our front wheels now. My buddy had a gun pulled on him a few weeks ago when he came upon someone trying to steel his rig :roll: New Jack City at its finest.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:51 pm

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:18 pm

:lol: Seriously a sad situation thou.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf