Change font size   Print view

Squid Lid vs Full Hooded Suit for Winter

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Squid Lid vs Full Hooded Suit for Winter

Postby 2tone » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:53 am

Hello Ladies and Gents. Any thoughts on what you prefer? I’ve always gone with hooded winter suits but found that it now hurts my neck… Being in my 50s, I can no longer keep doing what I do without my body screaming at me in pain. I got a new wetsuit, wore it once in Jan and now I’m out for 2 months and counting. I’ve you have used squid lids before, please let me know of any tips for brand, comfort and fit, etc.. Thanks.
2tone
Mermaided

Re: Squid Lid vs Full Hooded Suit for Winter

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:22 pm

Unfortunately built in hoods work way better for warmth but I hear you on the lack of flexibility and neck strain. I have a squid lid and it doesn't do much. I find a rash vest with an attached thinner hood is the next best thing to a full on hooded steamer and more flexible in the neck. I use them to convert 4/3s to warmer suits when needed.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby BOX » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm

I’m an adult learner without the decades of gear experience that others have, so feel free to take this testimonial with a grain of salt/drop of saltwater…

I wear a 2mm Billabong squid lid and I like it. I wear it year-round, but in theory, I could feasibly get away with wearing one wetsuit all year and choosing to put on the hood/lid when I want/need it, vs. having to buy multiple suits and/or having the hood flapping behind me on warmer summer days. I don’t have a huge budget for gear, so this helps out.

I’m a perpetually cold person in and out of the water. I’m freezing right now sitting in my office. I wear a 5/4 with boots and gloves all year round even on the warmer days. I can’t compare to the warmth of a fully hooded suit, but I don't recall having any issues with warmth beyond the initial full head dunk in the water. It’s certainly warmer than going with nothing, IMO, and definitely helps with the wind. I don’t think that little bill is blocking much sun, though.

It has been ripped off my head a few times in rough wipeouts, though. It’s a rare occurrence considering the amount of times I spectacularly wipeout each session, but it does happen. Once I thought I had lost it for good but it apparently floats. Or at least it surfaced a few feet away from me that day and I was luckily able to grab it before it washed away. Other than that, only good experiences. Best of luck in your decision.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:00 pm

Tried one when I lived in Nor Cal with a little warmer water and air temps. Water is warmer up there in BC compared to OR but colder air maybe. Mine worked but never got on with it to well. Can be hard to find hoodless 5mill bit I've seen them. Concur with CD. Hoodie rash guard option may be a good compromise? At 50 you gotta start thinking about warmer waters for sure. :lol: 8)
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby 2tone » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:08 am

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, the Rev and I now have a 5 year plan to spend winters somewhere warmer. I've put my new (only worn once) hooded 6/5/4 up for sale. It is hard to find a hoodless suit that is thicker than a 4/3. I don't think I'd survive out there in a 4/3 in the winter. I wear my hood even in the spring and fall here. I'm 52 and been suffering from this neck thing on and off since 2017. We moved here to surf and it appears we will have to move again at some point as we age... We got well over a decade from this place so I guess that is pretty good... and no, Oregon isn't any warmer. I'm a little concerned that the rash guard with hood would still pull on the neck. Oh well, I don't think I'm gonna be surfing anytime soon anyways so I got some time to think about it and hopefully more to try different options. Now I finally really understand why the older folks spend winters in Mexico...
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:08 pm

https://www.needessentialsusa.com/collections/womens-wetsuits/products/womens-5-4-thermal-chest-zip-wetsuit

Hoodless 5/4 for you 2tone.

I'm backing the Needs Essentials. I think Howly has had some good success with them also.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Doc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:09 pm

Baja Sur in a 3 mil hoodless fullsuit was very toasty.
Mostly just wore it to protect my fish-belly white Oregon winter skin,
Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:38 pm

Doc wrote:Baja Sur in a 3 mil hoodless fullsuit was very toasty.
Mostly just wore it to protect my fish-belly white Oregon winter skin,
Doc

So all we get is a wetsuit report? Lefts or Rights? Beachies or Points? Hopefully the later. Mrs Doc like it?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:31 am

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:39 am

Needs Essentials finally got their shipment in. I have a 3/2 on the way for Baja, CA and Gower.
Chanel Derrière

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf