Change font size   Print view

Spring 2022 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Spring 2022 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:29 am

Spring already? 2022? WTF? I seem to remember 2008 being a good one. According to ye ole surf calendar going on 2 and half weeks no surfy now. Solstice a few days ago and Spring Break in full effect. How's it been? Whos been scoring?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Spring 2022 Surf Log

Postby Tex » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Got back last night from our Spring Break trip up North.
It turned on really nice Friday morning. The rivermouth rights were dialing in and neighbors were taking pics of me on the biggest set that generated should to head high waves edging into the cove. Snapped a leash and had to paddle all the way back to the cabin. New leash, long board, grabbed 8-10 really nice walls. Saturday morning it turned on again a bit further west. We paddled into knee to waist high waves and just rode them as far as we could. Plenty of fun in between fishing and kayaking and monster fire pits. 4 days out of PDX all in all, came back super chilled out and exhausted from all the adventuring.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:37 pm

Sounds rad and any time away from PDX is well a good time IMO. Well maybe not if your in Kansas or some place like that. :lol: Saw the res is finally a go!

Got the feet back in the wax exactly 3 weeks to the day after a mid month lull. Went from the flat warm aqua blue Gulf of Mexico to the cold green Pacific we all know well within a few days. Surfed the last 3 days posted up in a thumping beachie zone I haven't had a chance to surf in a bit. Sessions were mostly maintenance and swell had a bit of that spring funk a lunk to it, but conditions were pretty good with little to no wind for the most part. A lot of paddling, duck diving, drops, and occasional corners to be had. Packed a few close out chubs on Sunday. Wind came up yesterday afternoon so checked out a spot with blockage and a nice channel after work. Definitely the most lined up and ripable waves I saw, but a pack of fairly mellow locals getting their after work waves had the tight take off pretty well locked demonstrating the mastery of a bouncy weird take off that was making me look like a total kook on the chances I had. Not my 1st time surfing this wave by any means and has never been a fave despite being a righthander, but was working quite well. Ended up being another frustrating one I cant blame on my board choice, although I think the mid would of been the call and helped me get into some of the wide swingers that were challenging to catch on my fish.

Shifty beachies again on my lunch break today. Buddy let me surf his RNF 96 twin+trailer he's been ripping on since he got it last spring. 1st time on a twin as far as I can remember. 1st wave back side banana peeled on the bottom turn board sliding right out. :roll: Felt good on the rights though, very drivey even more so than a quad from what I could tell. Never really got a good opportunity to top turn, but had a few gutbacks. Not the best waves to test it out TBH. Hopefully he will let me ride it on a better day.

All and all didn't rack up a ton of decent waves last 3 days, but had some punch and good practice and maintenance for upcoming surf trip. March sessions locally were a bit of a head trip making me wonder if my age is starting to hinder my abilities. Sessions have had an element of trickiness to them, so probably a combo of both. Was all time to start the month off in HI and was able to nab some good ones. Perhaps more motivation to hit the gym and pool harder? That does it for me for March....... looks like plenty of swell for early April. Hopefully conditions cooperate, but early Spring can be hit or miss in that dept.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:09 am

March has been largely a bust for me, surf-wise, however, got a few sessions in recently at Tex's fave locale. Arrived at negative low and waited out a churning shorebreak manifested by the tidal exchange. Eventually settled down on the deep end and surfed some heavers with a few other guys. Dumpy and lumpy-- had opted for my bonzer egg which was surprisingly nimble on the drop, but tended to skip out on bumps. Got a few thrills, but it was pretty much a point and shoot session. A splitting headache crept up and I powered through as long as I could, but eventually it sent me in. Literally seasick?

Much cleaner and more user friendly the following morning; tide was high and crowd thick. A few choice sets came through that offered some lines, but for the most part crumbly closeouts amidst gutless, gaspy wind waves. Meh. Found myself grumpy about the situation, so bailed to clear my head and change my fins on the meh-dlength. Second sesh was much more my speed-- a peak hidden in plain sight that was picking up the LP SW for some cagey drops and a quick turn. Nothing too exciting, but surfed by myself among the bounty of nature for an hour.5, catching wave after wave after wave... Maintenance sessions overall; good to get out, but far from scoring.

Tex-- always stoked when you get to your happy place. Sounds worth the gas $$$

Major-- you're ripping and running this year. Good for you getting your travel on post-lockdown.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:28 am

It's April and the SofJD is FIRING. My buddy is working from the cabin this week and sending me INSANE picks of perfect head high point bombs.
Tex

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:35 am

1649258607753.JPEG
1649258607753.JPEG (316.69 KiB) Viewed 8727 times

if ONLY I knew how to post effing pics to the OSP.
Tex

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:41 am

1649253228808 (2).JPEG
1649253228808 (2).JPEG (223.1 KiB) Viewed 8727 times
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:13 am

I saw that forecast! Classic Nor Wester. "When its a snow, Its a go" Stayed much closer to home and road the white wave yesterday. Love the classic cold late season April dumps! Crowds are gone and a lot more bang for the buck compared to recent surf sessions. One of my better days of the season, which has been hit or miss for powder days. Slashed all my favorite features and wind lips. Fun day well worth calling in sick for :mrgreen:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:07 am

this was the day before....
1649169385277.JPEG
1649169385277.JPEG (384.95 KiB) Viewed 8714 times
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:56 am

Cold waist deep pies to warm (air) CH to HH glass at a spot that almost never peels when I check it within a few days........ Cray Yo! Now more white wave out da back jack :P :wink: 8) #keeporegonweatherweird
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:12 am

Still managing the weekly go out. No complete skunk missions this Spring but not much to write home about. Did manage my best backhand cutty in a longtime yesterday. Backhand on the 6'2" twin, nice rebound off the white. I'm sure I was pretty poo man but great sensation of the twin carrying speed through the whole turn. Just about worth the cost of petrol. Still need to wax up the freshie...
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:34 am

Kept it simple with a twofer at a basic. Pretty much every spot I saw along the way was glassy goodness, but the rot had overtaken me mentally, physically, spiritually so didn't want to push myself too hard. No big deal because the spot was practically empty despite buttery perfection and intermittent HH/slight OH sets. Opted for my 6'6 step up and was duly rewarded. Lefts were the ticket and I navigated them well enough, but stuffed the drops on the better waves. Inspiration to get back into my "self care" routine that was disrupted by daylight savings :evil: By the time the after work crowd arrived, suck tide/wind shift was limiting options and I was fully satiated, so just tucked into closeouts by myself on a less appealing bar.

Surfed it completely alone the next morning.. at least for ten minutes or so. Caught my wave of the day in that sparse amount of time and continued to clean up while the other folks out sat too deep. Swell had dropped, but still shoulder high on average with a few walled up HH sets coming through. Tide dropped quickly while the lineup did the opposite, but 2+ hours yielded a solid wave count on the mid. Moved the WL power fin slightly forward and felt much more graceful to me. Bailed when closeouts became the norm. Was hoping for a second session after and checked a few other spots, but wasn't exactly inspired. Given the current forecast, I probably should've seized the day, but left quite happy with what I got.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:50 am

Any snow on the beach? Heard a couple bro's chatting about surf spots in short lift line yest. My buddy turned to me and said "the best thing about snowboarding vs surfin in OR, is you know your gonna score on a powder day" True dat. White room vortex was ridiculous yesterday. Deepest day in over a year. Road last 2 days, resting body today, and back at it tomorrow which may likely be my last pow days of my 40's? Unless this April winter keeps kicking like Bruce Lee. Cheehoo!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:44 pm

What happened? Went flakskis broskis. How cold is the water rn? Didn't miss it this week..... 4 of the best days snowboarding inna long time. Looks like a couple solid bumps to end the month. Hopefully conditions cooperate.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:51 pm

Had briefly considered a dawn patrol this morning but opted out due to how freaking cold it was when I woke up. It was still only about 34 degrees a couple of hours later when I left for work. Had to scrape ice off of the car windows. Water looked super flat on the drive in. I need more water time for sure, but I don't know if it would have been worth it.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf