Change font size   Print view

Summer 2002 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Summer 2002 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:50 am

Nice. A cyclone strike mish! Heard it was good down there and Kay was pumping from SD south. Pretty steep for VC and Channel Island zones, but there were several swells in the water last week.

Does anyone around here surf Oregon anymore :lol: Septembers window of glassy conditions is quickly closing with micro summer waves. Tipple dip La Nina out the back, which has not boded well for surf the last few years IMO. Winter gonna come in like a Lion from Zion? Maybe mid week, next week.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:02 pm

I only surf in Mex, done with the pnw. As it's been said over and over by a former OSP mod.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 am

Understandable. Coasta Rica and Nica too. But why do I still see him groveling at Sharts, that last time borderline "surfable" :lol:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:49 pm

Posted up last 3 days and a frothy early fall forecast ended up pretty disappointing. :twisted: Easily the most lumpy and frumpy 4 at 14 I have ever seen. Kinda like what my middle aged divorced or single friends tell me about online dating. Pics look hot online, but in person not so much :lol: Had been watching that extra tropical cyclone that flooded parts of AK and knew we'd get a small LP out of it. In years past I have scored some all time sessions on similar early season storms. Anyways my hypothesis is a jumbly 5 at 9 in the mix and nuking NW winds out at sea bumping it up and shredding it apart? I'm no oceanographer thou.

Sessions ranged from A+ conditions and just enough swell to tease to swell and just ragged arse shape and I burned gas and trial looking around. Did see one solo tripper scoring some nice looking runners but didn't bother barging..... maybe I should of or waited it out? CD paddled out Sundy eve in a 3 mill thinking he was still in Baja, but I'm sure that he was quickly reminded he was back in Oregon sarf as the water was frio, soft top armada afloat, and waves pretty meh although great conditions. Still a shite ton of touristas out there too. Lots were pretty busy from north to south county, the 101 jammed with out of state plates, and towns packed for early week. Guess it is still Summer but out of the places I've traveled this summer (SoCal and New England) the Oregon Coast has been the busiest. Time for a Goonies reboot perhaps? Anyways until the next swell.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:52 pm

Went out last night to get some of that Bering Sea storm swell. Caught one of the best waves of my life. Minutes later I took a board to the face. It was kind of mixed bag out there.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:53 pm

Yep defiantly the type of waves you can hurt yourself easily on.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Doc » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:02 pm

I too made the short hike in to find less than ideal conditions and far more heads out than on a typical Monday.
I checked on a few of my solo paddle out spots only to find mostly a mess and enough size to make it likely frustrating.
Ecola Park is closed? Which meant that those that would have headed there opted for a slightly wider cove south.
I did find a few fun ones but lots of waves with rather abrupt results...as in unexpected and somewhat unpleasant.
Lots of drop ins followed by a single bottom turn and a quick advised exit before the closeout on the inner bar.
Things looked to be smoothing out a bit by the time I was drinking my beer on a bluff overlooking a spot.
But I got no reports of anything other than a mixed bag of soft slop with a couple sharp corners from my sources.
Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:31 pm

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:37 pm

Broke the post Baja dry spell and squeezed in a pre work surf at the sands this morning.
Caught a handful, a few being note worthy but close outs dominated the end
results despite a decent running swell pushing thru.
Swell angel? tide? between bars?...who knows? Left feeling somewhat puzzled
as to the lack of quality given the #s and almost no wind. Oh well, that's just another day
of surfing in the pnw.
Good to face the reality of a hooded 5/4, clean water, more paddling, duckdiving,
and wishing for another trip south of the border.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:00 am

You were warned.

No wind. 4' Sands Thou?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:39 pm

Snuck up to my fav spot in WA...kinda random....my 17 year old last Wednesday night was like hey, we should roll up to PA and work up there for a few days. We ended up kicking around the SoJdF for 6 days. We set up the online school/work space and hit the books and client meetings from 8-2 each weekday and then SUP'd, Kayaked, surfed each evening. In between we mowed the property with a fun sitting mower, harvested a big potatoes patch, cleaned out the garage, laid down some new roads, raced a brand new Polaris quad around, fire pits, got some hikes in and watched a ton of really old movies each night after sun down. Surf was micro, knee to waist but effing beautiful with seals playing out on our spot and warm 73 degree breezes from the west.....good times. I think I will be working remote up there at least 1 week per month through fall.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:41 am

Sounds rad Tex. Always game to meet or join ya :)

Unbelievable weather and beach day with da fam minus teenager. Surf. Good 6' swell, but mostly closely. Slightly better than last time, but tricky, tricky, trickey. Gonna be a frustrating early fall if sand doesn't improve at the beachies. Could use an early winter storm perhaps to mix things up a bit. Or maybe another roadie down the coast?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:22 am

Gave up on North Coast close outs and found some shoulders where there have not been many for some time. Even some long right hand walls if you could pick one off that Gorge Bob wasn't on.

Super busy but lots to go round. Busted out the short board, got stoked on some turns. Mostly soft waves but did find one close out tube to wake me up. Stoke level = adequate. Heard major talk of an all time session a little further south.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf