Change font size   Print view

RIP MSW

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

RIP MSW

Postby wanty » Fri May 19, 2023 6:56 am

Got the redirect from magicseaweed over to Surfline.
NOT IMPRESSED.
In fact, f@#K surfline . The UI stinks.

Guess I'll stick to the good ole oregonsurfcheck.com

How about yall?
Sound off.
wanty
Site Admin

Re: RIP MSW

Postby BOX » Fri May 19, 2023 9:29 am

I like surf-forecast.com. It’s free, it gives you data 12 days out, and provides a lot of good information all in one place.

The interface may look a little weird/dated at first but it’s not too bad once you get used to it. I know a lot of this information can be found on NOAA or by buoy data (which is where they source their info), but what I like especially is the “Energy” rating. Lets me know if it’s going to be super mushy or if I’m in for a beating if I try to paddle out even if the wave height doesn’t seem so bad. If I see a manageable height within a certain energy number range I can more often than not predict that it’s going to be good conditions for me. If the energy rating is way too high or way too low, I might look at another day to go out.

Again, I know a lot of folks can get better predictions than a lot of surf apps on their own just from reading NOAA or the buoy data but I don’t have those years of observation and experience yet. But I’m learning. In the meantime, the above helps.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri May 19, 2023 10:48 am

Zzz
Last edited by Major Lazer on Mon May 22, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 am

I knew the kid who built Look Surf, and agree it was super dialed for OR. His mom lived next door to us in NE PDX. He was surfing 3-5 days a week from the valley with a 2 yr old....priorities were fully aligned lol.

I remember growing up in Seattle, the Seattle Times had a bouy report, before the internet, I would read that and then bomb south if it seemed decent. Sometimes it worked out, other times it didnt.

Thanks for all the deets ML, good stuff above!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm

Zzz

Ha! Too late, I already copied it :lol: Good info - thanks!

I liked Look Surf. Was bummed when it shut down.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:41 pm

Well shiit Team Low Tech's Oregon Surf Check aint dead :lol: :
http://www.oregonsurfcheck.com/
The OG OR one stop shop geared toward central coast. Team Low Tech, the Florence crew from late 90s early 2Gs. Offshore and nearshore buoy reports, land based wind reports, NWS Forecast, and the classic WAM models 8) !! Can't believe it's still kicking :!: Blast from the past.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf