Change font size   Print view

Poo Factor

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Poo Factor

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:44 pm

Always knew Sharts and other beaches like Nye in Newps had issues, but seems to be more widespread than I believed to be. Manzo tested in the 90 percentile for poo. Harris in Brookings where I worked for a few summers in college was a surprise to me :cry: Seems like a recent influx in full time costal population growth coupled with lack of wastewater infrastructure could be the culprit.

https://www.beachconnection.net/news/crappy_report_beaches071623.php
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Poo Factor

Postby BOX » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:08 am

Nye has been bad as long as I've lived here. I see little kids playing in the runoff that comes from the pipe outfall and it makes me cringe every time. Building up a healthy immune system though I guess...

Newport did just recently get awarded $3.8 mil in Fed bucks for wastewater infrastructure so maybe that will help?
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:38 am

Been an issue for decades. Hopefully that should help. 4 surf shops there now too. The new Epicenter with many believers. 101 is still crusty and congested as ever thru town.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:17 pm

For all you Sharties guys, FYI it's posted.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:22 am

sweeeeeeet!!!! That should thin the line up just nice.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:38 pm

Wife and kids where down there yest. Sent me pics. Sign was there. Crowd was out. Waves were not. People are idiots. Sorry they just are. :lol:

If you've ever gotten sick or sinus infection, post surf, you'd think twice. Trust me. Got really sick for weeks after a trip to El Salv. Sucked. But waves were firing. Looooong barreling right point, before it was discovered by the mainstream and WSL fukers. A far cry from one foot summer slop at Shorties, but hey goooo foooor it!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:06 am

This used to happen all the time surfing Capitola/ SC. People letting their kids play in river run out, full of farm runoff, sewage overflow, and a mess of birds sitting right upstream. Getting those sinus infections sucked, especially when you start getting the red tide rashiness too.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:02 am

For sure, used to surf the river mouth on occasion, although never got sick. Such a sick wave. In general the reward to risk ratio is far greater in SC in comparison. Long lined up point and reef waves where 3 turns or cutys is a given and less than the average of > than 5 turns and cutys. The infrastructure is far better there too. I avoided surfing often after heavy rains for a day or so. Where here in OR it's poop waves and well poop water with lack of infrastructure to handle coastal pandemic population levels of poop. All we need is one more gnarly winter this winter to send all the recent coastal trannies back to PDX/the valley or wherever else they turned up from.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf