Change font size   Print view

Would You Surf With the Orca?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Would You Surf With the Orca?

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:41 pm

Just spent the last 20 minutes watching killer whale activity on the Agate cam. Friggin orca cruising the lineup right off the head (4:14 pm) and then what seems to be a grey spouting around in close proximity (4:20-4:30 pm). Heard tell of said orca making an appearance this weekend, supposedly submarining surfers. Personally, I have zero interest in the, rad as the experience might be. How about you? Would you surf... with the orca?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: Would You Surf With the Orca?

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:17 pm

What, swell pops and watching cam? Thought dat was you out dere chaargin Avalanches wit da Agate boyz. Or at least thought ya'd be hiding in the lee of the rock pile.

Dey still there, the whales! One is scooping right inside the white water zone. Looking for the Orca but they move fast, prob in the bay by now.

Legends abound Orcas came through a fishey spot I used to live up the road from. Was at work that afternoon, but heard all about it the next day from 2 other local guys that were out. Would not intentionally paddle out, if they were out. Seen so many whales after 30 years of OR surfing, some very close, doesn't really phase me. Kinda like oh hey, a whale. Orcas though get me hyped and well the man in the white suit...... tiss the season be safe out there and avoid those river mouths :wink: .
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:18 am

I surfed with orcas once.

It wasn’t one of those things where they swam directly under my board or anything, but late spring/early summer last year I think it was a couple of sea pandas passed by while I was surfing near the punchbowl. Definitely close enough to get a good view, but not so close that I was ever fearful. If anything I was in such a state of wonder that all I could do was sit and watch them as they headed south.

I saved a copy of the Surfline rewind from that day. Not amazing footage but you can definitely see the dorsal fins going by. I found it to be a pretty cool experience overall.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:39 pm

Sounds like a rad presence to soak in from afar, Box. Buddy in the lineup is a whole other kettle of fish. You might just end up collateral damage of the Orca Wars. https://amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/even ... king-boats

Anyone here have a suckscription to s*rfline and bored at work? Cam rewind to 9/19 ~ 4:14 pm-- screen cap and post? Show me I'm exaggerating.

And yeah-- posting about cam footage is corny, but figured it worthwhile given Shamu seems to be a frequenting a very popular spot.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:42 pm

I would def PASS on surfing with Orcas, I am all good with that. I can barely tolerate the seals lol
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:46 pm

Fixed
Tex wrote:I would def PASS on surfing with Orcas, I am all good with that. I can barely tolerate the kooksands softtoppers lol
Last edited by Major Lazer on Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:08 am

Shamu seems to be a frequenting a very popular spot.

Had to have been Keiko! Oregon legends never die.

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/keiko/
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf