Change font size   Print view

The Tribe:

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Are you a tribal member?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 35

Postby SoCalBarger » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:34 am

When two tribes go to war
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby 2tone » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:01 am

you can check out any time you like
but you can nevahh leave

welcome to the tribe of the ocean
such a lovely place
such a lovely face

livin it up with the tribe of the ocean
what a nice surprise
bring your alibies

Her mind is H2O twisted
She's got the Surf mobile vans
She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys
They all have awesome tans
How they dance in the water
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget

welcome to the tribe of the ocean
any time of year
you can find it here
2tone

Postby thurgood jenkins » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 am

You're hot :lol:
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Dano » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:20 am

Get a room!
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby SoCalBarger » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:50 am

Two distinct tribes exist in surfing. Shortboarders and "others".
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Gazsurf » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:11 pm

There are two kinds of speed bumps.......boogers and shortboarders.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby The Betty » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 pm

How do I know if Im a tribal member? Do I get to wear a loin cloth and boob leather?

I make good fry bread.
The Betty

Postby jerichv » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:50 pm

betty, are you from the slappahoe tribe... :lol:
say it!
jerichv
"wall of fiberglass" refugee

Postby mjr shrinkage » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:02 am

tribe?....uh....i've pretty much always surfed but i could rarely connect mentally with other surfers so i can't say i ever felt like part of a tribe....until team bean that is.. :D
ay caramba!!
mjr shrinkage
duck diving fool

Postby thurgood jenkins » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:30 am

A lot of surfers piss me off, then again a lot of people piss me off. I am my own tribe and 2tone is the only honourary member. I find a lot of attitude within the surfing community as if everyone has something to prove.

That is the part of the scene I really hate. Then there are times when the vibe is good and everyone's stoked and thats when I wish it could always be like that...

Don't worry Gaz I won't be a speed bump for you, I'll just paddle inside of you. :wink:
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby redliner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:40 am

....and then get run over by the Tomahawk swinging madman! :lol:
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby BlueandWhite » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:30 am

Am I a surfer? I get butterflies in my stomach when I drive West towards the Pacific, anticipating my first view of the open ocean, hoping to see perfect lines. The excitement of looking for signs that I’ll find what I want, trying not to plough my car into the oncoming traffic as I look over the sea walls and trees to my right. I watch weather forecasts, with religious devotion, checking swell predictions, wind directions, tide times…

My most recent search for waves took the form of a solo 21 day exploration of the Oregon and Northern California coastline, travelling the coast, sleeping in my car, following the swell. I surfed Davenport, where the waves were solid double overhead. I rode lefts and rights; and enjoyed them all. One morning I awoke to monstrous swell and I spent the day just staring at the ocean admiring the beauty and power of it all. At Humboldt me and a local scored Pete’s Reef, empty and overhead. My experiences on this trip helped lead to my questioning of myself. Can I consider myself a surfer?

There is a lineage, a history that runs way back to the ancient Polynesians and beyond. Our documented history can be traced back as far as the 18th century, and prior to that we can make an educated guess at the development of this history. It begins, at the creation of the Polynesian people, with the movement of migrants from East Asia towards Alaska and the Pacific Isles. Documented history begins with Captain Cook, who, whilst visiting Tahiti in 1777, observed an island native performing this act and was prompted to write “I could not help but conclude that this man felt the most supreme pleasure whilst he was driven on so fast and so smoothly by the sea….”

Is this news to any of you? It should be, for very few of you know my passion. I am a kayak surfer as was the islander, watched by Cook all those years ago. I have been riding waves only a few years, but it has become the driving force in my life.

I have to endure stink-eye, verbal abuse and physical intimidation from people surfing breaks. Why? Because I don’t ride a board. I am sure that everyone reading this article will have experienced the frustration of being dropped in on by someone who doesn’t know what they are doing. Imagine how much more frustrating it is when this is done as a completely calculated act, purely because of what, not how, you are surfing…

It is not common knowledge that surfing originated in canoes and closed deck kayaks. We can say with great confidence that surfing almost undoubtedly began as an unconscious act carried out on a daily basis by the Polynesian islanders and Alaskan Inuit alike. Both tribes used surfing as a method of getting their fish catch to shore in the quickest time possible, riding their respective craft, in the case of the Polynesians four or five man outrigger canoes, and in the case of the Inuit single man closed deck kayaks, to shore without tipping. It was a skill that required long hours of practice, great courage and was ultimately well respected. History shows that it was the Polynesians who developed this into a leisure activity and brought it forward to the form we are all familiar with today, that of board riding.

So why is it that I consider myself to be a surfer? It is because of all the things I have written here, indeed it is because of the fact that I have written them. I have an open mind that is willing to accept all forms of wave riding as legitimate, to recognize the brilliance of the individual for what they do as well as how they do it. It is because my next trip will consist of two long boarders, one short boarder, and myself, no prejudices will be taken on this trip. It is also because of my desire for the next trip to un-crowded reefs and my constant look out for the next perfect wave. So, am I just some goat boater or am I a surfer? You decide…
"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- A. Einstein
BlueandWhite
Plover Murderer

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:45 am

you know when dudes that really want a harley and hang out with bikers and get all the leather and stuff, and then go invest in a brand new honda...that's kindof funny and sad in a way.
i mean, but the hondas are very dependable and stuff...
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby thurgood jenkins » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:11 pm

B&W you need to put some razors on the edges of those paddles than drop ins will get cut like Michael Jordan from a high sachoo basketball team.

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby SoCalBarger » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 pm

thurgood jenkins wrote:B&W you need to put some razors on the edges of those paddles than drop ins will get cut like Michael Jordan from a high sachoo basketball team.

Or you could man-up and learn how to surf.
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf