Change font size   Print view

What kind of Wetsuit are you using right now???

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

What's your wetsuit thickness??

5/4
30%
5/3
18%
4/3
40%
3/2
3%
Spring Suit 2/2
3%
Screw wetsuits... I'mTrunkin' it
8%

Total votes : 40

Postby Dano » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:23 am

socalbarger,
whats the water temps in Encinitas right now? Is it staying warm? I fuhking hope so! I'll be there in 6 days.

Alohas
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby SoCalBarger » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:33 am

Dano wrote:socalbarger,
whats the water temps in Encinitas right now? Is it staying warm? I fuhking hope so! I'll be there in 6 days.

Alohas

Water's been hovering between the high 60's to mid 70's. Even dawn patrols only require a vest, for me anyway. Six days huh? Hope you get some of the hurricane swell that's being predicted. Good luck brah!
SoCalBarger
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Dub Star » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:00 am

Thu.... just go down to the Rip Curl outlet and get yourself a 5/3 then. 2 weeks ago I saw several fire skins for $100. Hard to beat that price, but I wouldn’t pay any more for a Rip Curl as they tend to fall apart quickly as we have heard.

If durability is a concern, Hotline by far makes the most durable suits out there, but they tend to be a little stiffer than some of the other brands. Their 5 mill booties are the best. Been wearing them for over 10 years or more and they are perfect for PNW surfing. While I love Xcel suits, I tried their booties once and they fell apart with in a year. Pieces of chit.
Dub Star

Postby thugnomoe » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:47 pm

nmm wrote:
leashplug wrote:5/4/3 Rip Curl F-Bomb!!!

Mine's tearing (at the seams across the chest)..........only a year-and-a-half old. Anybody else have this prob?

so I found this wetsuit(F-bomb 4/3) laying in the middle of the road at 56th street in Newport beach...

it worked like a charm down in socal...but I realized that the seams were coming apart at the armpit. I'm pretty sure it won't work for Oregon when I get up there...so I just bought a 6/4 and 7mm booties..
thugnomoe
I love a good soft top

Postby thugnomoe » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Dub Star wrote:Thu.... just go down to the Rip Curl outlet and get yourself a 5/3 then. 2 weeks ago I saw several fire skins for $100. Hard to beat that price, but I wouldn’t pay any more for a Rip Curl as they tend to fall apart quickly as we have heard.

If durability is a concern, Hotline by far makes the most durable suits out there, but they tend to be a little stiffer than some of the other brands. Their 5 mill booties are the best. Been wearing them for over 10 years or more and they are perfect for PNW surfing. While I love Xcel suits, I tried their booties once and they fell apart with in a year. Pieces of chit.

Is there a ripcurl outlet in Oregon??? I just went to the Trestles one and picked up a 6/4 Fireskin for $180
thugnomoe
I love a good soft top

Postby redliner » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:52 pm

Oddly enough, there's one in Vegas.....
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby Dub Star » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:57 am

Is there a ripcurl outlet in Oregon???

No man I said head down, San Clemente. Was in SD 2 weeks ago. Had fun, but don't miss it.

Well, there is a high demand for rubber in that town.
Dub Star

Postby thugnomoe » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:19 pm

Dub Star wrote:
Is there a ripcurl outlet in Oregon???

No man I said head down, San Clemente. Was in SD 2 weeks ago. Had fun, but don't miss it.

Well, there is a high demand for rubber in that town.

yeah..that's where I usually go...san clemente..and vegas (but not for rubber...or wetsuits)

I just took my 4/3 Fbomb over to the ripcurl service center in Costa Mesa...and told them about the rips near the armpits..

they're sending me a brand new Fbomb..should be here monday..for the total cost of $0. Did I mention that I orginally found this wetsuit laying in the middle of the street?

contrary to other people's experiences...Ripcurl has been good to me..
thugnomoe
I love a good soft top

Postby Nolan Leh » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm

I wear a 5/3 oniell heat. I dont really like it. the hood design is terrible. Sometimes in the winter I wear a 2mm jacket under it. The straits can get chilly. I went out one time in march during that really big storm, it was snowing blowing 20 and there were ice chunks coming out of the elwha river. Even with 3mm gloves my hands felt frozen paddling across it.
"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."
Nolan Leh
Plover Murderer

Postby scratchchance » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:17 am

Im actualy using a 6/4 oniel with a built in hoodie. :shock:

Well, I am from Hawaii :lol:

I have to say, it is a freaking warm suit. I surfed in Santa Cruz last week and I was actualy hot.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Jim Elliot
scratchchance
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Ceedog » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:24 am

Scratch,

I'm with you. I have a 6.5.4 rip curl zipperless that has more flex than my 3.2. I got a good deal since I bought it in VA in July. It came in real handy when I lived in MA. There were a lot of people out in dry suits there, believe it or not. Something about a dry suit just ain't right, I don't care how cold it is.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Dolphin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:10 am

Zipper finally broke on the 3/2, I have repaired the rip in 4/3 and now I am much warmer. :)
Work less, surf more.
Dolphin
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby freckleface » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am

I can't believe anyone is actually wearing a 3/2! Yowzahs!

My 5/4 Rip Curl was nice and flexible, but flushed out easily and also ripped. Its my loaner suit now. I take friends out surfing, but give them a ripped suit and they never go again :wink:
I have a 5/4/3 Hotline, and it is warm and durable, but sort of like a straight jacket. Also it felt a little tighter after not wearing it for a year--must be shrinking :)
It also rubs my dainty bum if I don't wear bikini bottoms underneath.
freckleface

Postby wilko » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:23 pm

freckleface wrote:I can't believe anyone is actually wearing a 3/2! Yowzahs!

My 5/4 Rip Curl was nice and flexible, but flushed out easily and also ripped. Its my loaner suit now. I take friends out surfing, but give them a ripped suit and they never go again :wink:
I have a 5/4/3 Hotline, and it is warm and durable, but sort of like a straight jacket. Also it felt a little tighter after not wearing it for a year--must be shrinking :)
It also rubs my dainty bum if I don't wear bikini bottoms underneath.
If I were a wetsuit I'd rub your dainty bum too --- bikini bottoms or no :twisted:
wilko

Postby thugnomoe » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:55 am

ripcurl has a killer waranty program...I just got my new F-bomb for seams coming apart...
thugnomoe
I love a good soft top

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf