Change font size   Print view

Anchored

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

What keeps you here?

Choice?
47%
Circumstance?
13%
I might get a shot at Betty?
40%

Total votes : 15

Postby smithgrind » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:21 am

Nothing in particular keeps me here, guess that's why I've stayed.

I've had plenty of reasons to leave and haven't. My actions, or lack there of, speak louder than my whimsical dreams. Aw, F*ck it,...I'm a lazy bastard is what it comes down to.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby sailingsurfer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Proximity to SC...that and my wife is sixth generation here...
I am lucky enough to live in the most consistent area of the coast in all conditions. Also so the most stone age.
sailingsurfer

Postby gills » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:52 pm

sailingsurfer wrote:Proximity to SC...that and my wife is sixth generation here...
I am lucky enough to live in the most consistent area of the coast in all conditions. Also so the most stone age.

leaving is a parole violation. Just kidding, SS, easy now.
gills

Postby Snow2Sea » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:05 pm

The smell...
The sanity...
The green...
The vibe...
Micro-brews...

Crowds and d**che bags piss me off...I meet people I truly like in the PNW
Boardriding is about timing and style...It’s youthful, active, casual, and free flowing. There is no wrong way to ride a board. The goal is simply to learn, progress, improve, and give it your own interpretation.
Snow2Sea
I've wax combed my pubes

Postby Fish » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:15 pm

Effin PC you fool!

Duh!
Fish
boogie boarders run ME over!

Postby gills » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:54 pm

Fish wrote:Effin PC you fool!

Duh!

A lot PC's have Wireless capabilities now Fish, you can go anywhere!
gills

Postby qball » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Stopped for a while here because it was the best place I had found for things other than surf.

Left for a while and found better surf elsewhere.

Came back because it was the best place I had found for things other than surf, but I didn't have to give up surfing.

Guess I'm not a real surfer and never will be.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Ceedog » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:03 am

Beautiful state
stubborn/friendly people
good boarding
decent waves
diverse ecosystems
3000 miles away from DC and all the E. coast B.S.
Good place for families

And no crowds.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Paul Dresman » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 am

Couldn't afford California with children.
For me, it turned into a smart move. Learned to ski, and, when children grew up, I returned to surfing to find this big coastline.
Everything on the coast is super-sized in Oregon. Human beings are dwarfed in these seascapes. Like Doc said, it's a risk. It is a bigger adventure.
I still love warm water surfing, but I miss Oregon when I'm somewhere south of here. Mountains and rivers! You can be alone here in an infinity of space.
Since I've been here, I've surfed in snow, been in perfect waves by myself on a number of occasions, or with one or two other riders.
And, like someone else said, I really like Oregon surfers--they have a good attitude.
You want cold--try Rincon or Lower Trestles any day it is surfable. It is cut-throat in those line-ups, and you won't get a wave. And there's always some edged-out wacko yelling at people, a sure sign of the psychic instability of over-crowded life.
After consecutive days of 35 K SW winds and Victory-at-Sea conditions, I do begin to doubt. But then I walk outside and breathe the oxygen-rich air.
My utopia--a winter-time trailer somewhere in Baja; late spring to fall in the northwest.
Paul Dresman
secret spots are my forte

Postby The Betty » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Im embarassed to see that Im doing pretty well here.
The Betty

Postby Ceedog » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:37 pm

Paul's remarks made me think of a session at a known spot up the road from the scene of the rescue debacle.

I was a chest high fun day at xxxxx xxxx and this guy kept yelling, "apple fritters," everytime he took off on a wave. Later on when we were changing in the parking lot we got to talking with the guys and asked them why the one guy was yelling apple fritters. They started laughing and the one guy explained that they had gotten a big bag full of donuts and what not from a bakery for the trip out. I guess they stuffed themselves and the one guy ended up tossing some in the lineup after getting nailed. Thus the howl of apple fritters. They shared some donuts with us and we offered a little green. That couldn't have happened in CA, or VA. Only in OR.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Doc » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:44 pm

They do have apple fritters in Cali...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby tail first drop » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:03 am

Im surprised the Betty isnt doing better....
tail first drop

Postby B-son » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:04 am

I met my lady here and moved for her and a job offer

and...

last week:
mtn. biked tues. and wed. from my front door through dense old growth
surfed friday, overhead+ with two guys out
climbed rocks sat. nobody else around, excellent unknown crag in the desert

drank tasty local brews inbetween

this week I will add skiing to the list.

That's why...

If surf is your only passion and you choose to live here, your stoopid...if surf is one of the many things you love to do...it's a great place to be.
B-son
I love a good soft top

Postby thurgood jenkins » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Not much is making me stay in Vancouver and if all goes according to plan I could be a coastie in a few weeks - months....

As for the PNW I like it here but I wouldn't be opposed to living somewhere else. Surf wise there are better places to be and worse... I get bitchy about windy crap conditions and 43 degree water and then I see Doc hasn't surfed in 18 days and I feel better about the situation up here.....

I love Canada as a country the nature, the ability to get away from it all, the beauty, diveristy, people and social - economic structure are all very high ranking on a global scale...

That said I could handle moving somewhere warm for a little while but I think I'll always come back here...

Once I get set up on the island I think I'll be much more satisfied with my location and life in general right now the only thing in my life really bothering me, and being unsatisfying is living in the city so far from waves, if I can get that sorted out I think I'll be very content and feel fortunate for my circumstances, not that i don't already.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf