Change font size   Print view

They call them selves surfers now?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Would you roll with a sponger?

Poll ended at Fri May 04, 2007 2:14 pm

yes cause Im a loser
45%
Hell no, I have some self respect
25%
I vote to lock this thread
30%
For dinner I ate.....
No votes

Total votes : 20

Postby gills » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:11 pm

I've surfed just about over 700 sessions in my life. I think I've only gotten angry at another surfer once. Part of that is who I am, the other part is this-- I surf to get away from all the childish, foolish, little mind banter that is in many places, fueling this thread. No offense to any of you throwing out the aloha. Phuck man, if you paddle out to the lineup and notice a sponger and that makes you upset or makes you think anything other than, 'hey, that guy is on a boogie board', get some mental discipline and think about some bigger phucking issues in life.
gills

Postby Foul Pete » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 pm

I don't mind body boarders at all as long as they realize how much easier it is to take off late and deep on those things and don't hog waves b/c they can take off when its critical. I rarely seem them here but the UK has almost as many spongers as surfers (that is slowly changing though). I used to surf with the Irish girls BB champion, whatever...

what i don't like is parrallel foward facing stance. do what you want but kneeling (sponge, or kneeboard) doesn't look that cool unless physical limitations insist on it. i'd rather watch people remain laying down on a bodyboard or better yet, a surf mat.

roller blading is whack. but its better than nintendo. get some quads if you want to roll parrallel /foward stance.

its all kookiness in the scheme of things.
TOXIC POSITIVITY
Foul Pete
duck diving fool

Postby Nasty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:52 pm

gills wrote: I surf to get away from all the childish, foolish, little mind banter that is in many places...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were a Brohampton regular.
Nasty

Postby riverjetty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:00 pm

I consider body-boarders the ultimate in shark protection.
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby Ceedog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:00 pm

I can see that many share my take on this, riding waves is fun. Sometimes conditions require different vehicles. I can thank E.coast summers for that perspective.

In all fairness, I guess Honey is worried about tainting someone's spot, that's understandable. There are places I wouldn't bring people too simply because I know my presence is, at most, tolerated, tag-alongs is a different story.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby nm » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:03 pm

riverjetty wrote:I consider body-boarders the ultimate in shark protection.

Crikey! He lives.... :shock:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Fish » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:I changed my whole aproach to this. I am not so much concerned with what someone rides as much as I am with how well they ride it.

Take it one further and add love and devotion to the equation.
Fish
boogie boarders run ME over!

Postby Nasty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:15 pm

I've had less than 5 experiences with body boarders in which I wanted to choke the crap out of them. Wish I could say the same for surfers.
Nasty

Postby stinkbug » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:43 pm

I've seen this guy a few times up north bodysurfing real surf w/fins & nothing else. Each time was a shock to see him at first. Fuggen cool, dude was on it and in it.

I've been wanting to get some fins for those big closeout days at the WA closeout. Could occasionally make the diff between "skunked" and "fun!". I love bodysurfing, don't get near enough.
stinkbug
shorepounder

Postby King of El Cariso » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 pm

Hey RJ, I wanted to say that but since I got bumped the last time I was out I kinda shy away from the shark subject..... But since you put it out there.... Hell yes, flop around as much as you want, just stay far enough away so I don't get splatered when you become a shark snack on a cracker... If your gona booger go to the wedge.... On second thought, just stay away from me if your spongen, it's my nature to try and help those in deep $hit, that said I COULD GET BIT TOO... STAY AWAY!!!
King of El Cariso

Postby andyjade » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:53 am

One summer had me working at a summer camp for children with Down Syndrome. It was the second Tuesday of the month, which meant that we were allowed to give the kids an archery lesson. Now, this sounds like a potential trainwreck, but the arrows were dull, and the bows were quite relaxed in terms of their tension. Anyway, we finished with what seemed to be an uneventful morning at the range. The bows were put away, and we headed to the cafeteria.

Upon exiting the lunch line, I noticed that the kids were seated in two distinct groups. Stink eye mixed with the usual drooling and spilling of cups. Thoughts of a prison riot filled my head. Something had split the kids into two opposing camps.

"It doesn't matta how good you are! Bow and arrows are s'posed to be fun!," said Ricky.

"You're mad cuz you aren't good! I'm better than you at bows!" replied Charles.

"It's fun time!"

"You're not good! It's fun if you're good!"

Choruses of Ricky and Charles' friends added to the call and respose pattern.

It took an hour for Sara to wheel herself - and a half eaten grilled cheese - to the front of the room.

"You're both stupid. This arg'ment is stupid! Sh!tty sh!t sh!t sh!t; I just dropped my sandwich!" Tears fall.....

This thread reminded me of that time.
andyjade
Ten barrel mullet

Postby tail first drop » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:09 am

I remember using kickboards before boogies came out, little blue things that, at 6 years of age, worked pretty good. Then the boogies came out and we threw away the frisbee's and kickboards and rode these foam things.
There were two sizes, small and large. Churchill fins of course.
Its all surfing.
Really.
I would still ride one if I had it, why not? I consider myself a waterman and thus, I have to give it all a thumbs up.

I remember a pic of Mike Stewart (?) at Second Reef Pipe on a wave I would have freaked on.....
tail first drop

Postby JMyerz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:30 am

What I really hate is all those skimborders crowding the lineup.... :roll:
JMyerz
shorepounder

Postby Nasty » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:36 am

I hate dog poop on the beach.
Nasty

Postby King of El Cariso » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:17 pm

Last edited by King of El Cariso on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
King of El Cariso

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf