Change font size   Print view

How long did it take?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

How long did it take?

weeks?
14%
months?
29%
years?
57%

Total votes : 14

Postby tail first drop » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:52 pm

I was 6 years old, way easier for a kid than an adult of some sort....
I learned quickly, I was already riding kickboards and boogie's and learning on an 8'2" when you weigh 50 lbs. is easy.
tail first drop

Postby lappis89 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:59 pm

alright once again "learn to surf" is seen differently by some people, and i failed to say how so. And now that i think about it, do you ever stop learning things when you surf? nearly everytime out you learn something, even if its the slightest thing. Some days you fall a lot, and you correct it. Then other days you have a fantastic time, and ask yourself what did i do so right? and try to manipulate what you did that one session your next however many times out, until you mess up again. No one on here has a perfect session everytime out, except maybe mavericks man, but whatever, at the end we all know he is still a kook.
"We'll get him when he comes back in!" . . . .
"He's not coming back."
lappis89
Am I addicted to this?

Postby lappis89 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:00 pm

PS im changing my vote from months to years after contemplating this topic.
"We'll get him when he comes back in!" . . . .
"He's not coming back."
lappis89
Am I addicted to this?

Postby tail first drop » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:54 pm

I learned to watch where I set the fin on a new board...but otherwise, nope, not a thing in the last five years.
tail first drop

Postby snowfunk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Its like what Tenacious D says about the Saxaboom: "Days to learn, WEEKS to master!!".

Saxaboom

Just kidding, I suck at surfing therfore I have nothing to add but an attempt at comic levity.
snowfunk
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Moe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Update...Thanks everyone who replied with some words of wisdom or positive feedback. I've been out as much as possible lately, I logged in 4 days this week on a new longboard (surfing a shortboard before) and I am finally starting to catch alot of waves. I may not be riding them that well but regardless I'm riding. Look forward to surfing with some of you.
Moe
I've got Daddy issues

Postby Ceedog » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:14 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Anyone who says "months" definately "learned" on a longboard and are likely still complete kooks.

I don't care what you say I went pro after 3 months.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Doc » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:39 pm

Wilbur had a steep learning curve...so did I...my excuse was weed...and lots of it...

Actually, weed did play a part...but if i smoked it now i would not surf...i would curl up in the sand and go to sleep...

But the biggest detriment to my surfing progress which began quite early...at about 5...but very unfocused...other things were more interesting...sand castles, self examination and poo poo...

Then as a youngster and teen we bodysurfed alot since it was less intimidating in bigger surf...I still miss bodysurfing...and paipo boarding...it would have been far more rewarding in the lumpy surf of today.

I still like the self examination and poo poo...sand castles not so much.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Ron Burgundy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:46 pm

months. as a teenager I wasn't so much patient as I was stuborn.

man my shoulders were in freakin great shape after I graduated highschool. Only went to community college 3 days a week, imagine what the other 4 days were for.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby scratchchance » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:49 pm

I still remember my first barrel at Sandys on the east side of Oahu. I had my eyes closed and it wasnt until I realized I hadnt gone over the falls and that I was actualy in a barrel that it was over and I was riding up to the beach. I still remember that wave. That was 12 years ago. It took me another 4 years to surf Pipe for the first time. So I would have to say years. I am humble after all. :P
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Jim Elliot
scratchchance
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby tail first drop » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:20 am

Doc wrote:Wilbur had a steep learning curve...so did I...my excuse was weed...and lots of it...

I still like the self examination and poo poo...sand castles not so much.

Doc

But its Moon Sand Doc, come on, lets play!

tail first drop

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf