Change font size   Print view

How long did it take?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

How long did it take?

weeks?
14%
months?
29%
years?
57%

Total votes : 14

Postby Moe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks stiffler, I'm looking forward to it.
Intrepid, I know I am being vague with the whole decent surfer thing, my idea of a decent surfer is probably alot worse than almost everyone on here. For me being decent would be catching a majority of the waves I paddle for, getting up, and staying up for awhile. I just do alot more paddling/ducking/& falling now than I would like to. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.
oh and fossilgrom, your post was depressing :D
Moe
I've got Daddy issues

Postby Doc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:38 pm

Intrepid calls me out:

Doc wrote:
At this rate I'll be practicing popups on the sand in no time.

Did you ever practice popups in the sand?

No...I haven't...but I'm getting there...

I have practiced crosstepping on curbs alot though...doesn't seem to have helped as of late...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm

Quagmeyer wrote:THough in my experience down south from us the level in Oregon and Washington is as low if not even lower than in Canada, though it depends on where you surf as kook concentration varies from line up to line up....

Not having surfed in the wonderland of Canada with all of it's perfections and perfect people it is hard for me to be accurate.

However, based on that statment..I would say Canada is full of kooks.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby The Blonde » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Canakook. heh heh...
I approve this message
The Blonde
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:28 pm

Oh..to answer the question at hand...

The learning curve for me was steep. South Florida is a hard place to learn. I would hit that water whenever there was anything that even vaguely resembled a wave, however it took a long time to even get to to a point where I could catch a wave and stand up.

Once the basics were down...it was a whole different world.

As to whether or not I am a decent surfer now...eh....that's up to others to interpret for me.

I do know I handle myself in the water like someone who has been doing it a while....which is convenient...as that is who I am.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby lappis89 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:24 pm

took me a little more than a month to learn to surf (northern oregon, ssc, ib, kooksands, etc.). A lot of times i feel as though im one of the more consistent surfers out, but i still am hesitant when surfing with the older crowd. I always kick out if one of them are on the wave to, regardless of whether or not they dropped in on me. Basically, im scared of being yelled at. But that will happen when you grow up in a very hostile surfing environment.
"We'll get him when he comes back in!" . . . .
"He's not coming back."
lappis89
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Ceedog » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 am

It took about 3 months, at first, to get to solid bottom turns and not blowing take offs. After 14 years of inconsistent riding I could comfortably say I still suck.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby gills » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Somedays I do well, somedays I don't. I'll tell you though Moe, one warm water trip to a sand bottom place with mellow but consistent waves will do wonders for you.

I would say my biggest improvement is that I'm consistent now. I consistently pull off the back of waves where I know I'm going to fall. So, I fall a little less. But even the best of them still eat shite.

Just don't get frustrated, all of it, even the part that sucks, should be fun. God knows I'm no natural at this surfing thing, but I work hard at it.
gills

Postby Quagmeyer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:12 pm

If you're not falling you're not trying hard enough! :wink:
Giggidy giggidy
Quagmeyer
surfing improved my love life

Postby brdsurf » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:32 pm

If youre falling so often after being able to effectively hold your own in the line up while waiting you are making enemies.....
Valuable resources going to waste. People notice.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Foul Pete » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:53 pm

i'm with Doc. i'm more concerned with the paid decay of my abilities as i get older and fatter.

i'd say i peaked after year six and its been downhill since. moving inland, giving up unemployment and becomming a dad= fatter boards, less waves and a crappy take -off.

i'm trying to live by the motto or some elder skate pals of mine,

'older, fatter, faster.'
TOXIC POSITIVITY
Foul Pete
duck diving fool

Postby mavericksman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:41 pm

first try.
bombs not bombs
mavericksman
shorepounder

Postby Moe » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:01 pm

I thought you would say that.
Moe
I've got Daddy issues

Postby Stiffler » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:33 pm

you wont get a straight answer on here from most people. everybody is in flux, and from what i can tell, surfing is like climbing, archery, skateboarding, shooting... its a lifetime pursuit. Not to knock on Lappis, but "I learned to surf in a couple months" probably gives more insight into a persons expectations than it does their ability. When can you claim attainment? When you can stand? turn? get barreled? ride all boards? switch stance? nose walk, bust airs, surf breaks with severe consequence? Tow-in? you get the point, its a big world...
I think that guy from Japan said it best in singlefin yellow.."Its about having a fun time to enjoy the weekend".
Ive known people who have sailed for years, but they quit learning after the first few months. Its all about your expectation and what you're looking to achieve.
Stiffler

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Anyone who says "months" definately "learned" on a longboard and are likely still complete kooks.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf