Change font size   Print view

SURFING ETIQUETTE?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

WHO HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY?

SURFER (A) THE OUTSIDE AND RIDING?
100%
SURFER (B) WHO IS PADDLING NOW ON THE INSIDE OF SURFER (A)
No votes

Total votes : 11

SURFING ETIQUETTE?

Postby zxsurf » Tue May 08, 2007 10:58 am

HOPEFULLY WE KNOW THAT THE PERSON CLOSEST TO THE PEAK HAS THE POSITION, BUT LETS SAY THAT SURFER (A) IS 10-15 YARDS OUTSIDE OF ANOTHER SURFER (B)HE/SHE PADDLES FOR A WAVE AND IS JUST ABOUT POPPING UP. THE SURFER ON THE INSIDE(B) HAS NOW JUST STARTED TO PADDLE BUT SNEAKS IN ON THE INSIDE OF THE SURFER THAT IS NOW RIDING, SURFER(A). WHO HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY?
zxsurf
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby SooLoo » Tue May 08, 2007 11:23 am

The better surfer
SooLoo

Postby Foul Pete » Tue May 08, 2007 11:28 am

the surfer with the shorter board, thinnest wetsuit and/or least number of fins.
TOXIC POSITIVITY
Foul Pete
duck diving fool

Postby dotu_surfer » Tue May 08, 2007 12:07 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this scenario a good instance of "snaking"...i.e. technically surfer B has right of way cause he/she is closer to the peak but since they were a dick they forfeit that right of way, baring any exceptional circumstances (e.g. surfer A had dropped in on B multiple times prior to the present situation).

my two cents.
dotu_surfer
Mermaided

Postby Ding Delamerton » Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Well put.

Back to sanding.
Ride 'em all....Let God figure it out
Ding Delamerton
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue May 08, 2007 2:29 pm

longboarders occassionally line up farther out than shortboarders, this can sometimes create problems that don't necessarily have to do with snaking.

however, if the guy/girl is already dropping in, i would assume the wave is pretty well formed at this point and the other guy/girl can go f#ck a goat.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Sparky » Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 pm

HeinzV12 wrote:longboarders occassionally line up farther out than shortboarders, this can sometimes create problems that don't necessarily have to do with snaking.

however, if the guy/girl is already dropping in, i would assume the wave is pretty well formed at this point and the other guy/girl can go f#ck a goat.

Ocasionally? If I am sitting in line with a shortboarder either I am to far inside or he is to far outside. Sure you could go for the late drop by why would you want to when you can get on it early :roll:
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby grizldoldfk » Tue May 08, 2007 3:33 pm

you get snaked, you go anyway. ride behind if you have to, or push past if you can. no reason to hollar, get upset, or ever say a word. happens again, same thing. third time getting snaked, snake gets the axe. the old flying board to the head "cat bite" trick. bye bye snake. lesson learned.

you're the snake? then you better be a good snake. a bad snake gets killed. a good snake does well for him/her self.

most importantly. a snake never is concerned with anyone but his/her self. therefore, no remorse or guilt. just the pursuit of its needs.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby intrepid » Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

It looks as if Griz just wrapped up this whole surfing etiquette thing.
intrepid
I tube ride side saddle

Postby gills » Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

SooLoo wrote:The better surfer

Don't listen to this jackass. He dropped in on me, then cockblocked me, laughed, and then missed the wave he cocked blocked that I was already in. Never surf with SooLoo when he's drunk he loses all respect for himself. I told him we were going to take it to the beach but when we got out of the water we just drank and split a sandwich rather than fight. Next time though, next time...I'll get brutal.
gills

Postby Stiffler » Tue May 08, 2007 4:14 pm

thank you grizld, for stating the obvious
Stiffler

Postby leashplug » Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 pm

Depends on what I am riding.

When I am on one of my longboards: first up has the right of way because I can catch waves way before they even start breaking on my 9'6". But, then again, I don't mind sharing waves when I am riding my longboard.

When I am on one of my shortboards: furthest inside to the peak has right of way as long as they make the drop. If they lawn dart or flail then it's open season.
Last edited by leashplug on Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leashplug
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby Gazsurf » Tue May 08, 2007 5:41 pm

You are all in my way..............
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby SooLoo » Tue May 08, 2007 5:43 pm

gills wrote:I told him we were going to take it to the beach but when we got out of the water we just drank and split a sandwich rather than fight. Next time though, next time...I'll get brutal.

What? And drink even more beer? :D
SooLoo

Postby SooLoo » Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 pm

Gazsurf wrote:You are all in my way..............

Greystoke has spoken
SooLoo

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf