Change font size   Print view

Generations

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

How many generations back is surfing in your family history?

1 - I'm the first
69%
2- Very Good
19%
3 - Respect
4%
4- Deep
8%

Total votes : 26

Postby Dolphin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:44 am

1st

My dad hates the water and I don't think my gradfather got out of the fishing boat R.I.P.
Work less, surf more.
Dolphin
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Gazsurf » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:44 pm

Only one

Dad tried it and nutting happened.....

Brother tried it and thought it was a lot of work..........

Kid talks about it like only Martians would do it......

Skipping at least one generation by the looks of it.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:04 pm

I am the the first though I do not think I will be the last. My son has not been bit by the surf bug near as bad as his ol man and there are times I am greatful for this. Especially when grades come in. One day he may be pulled into it as me but untill he has a good career I hope he just enjoys it as he would anyother fun activity.
Love many, trust few, do harm to none!
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby boneyard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:52 pm

I think I am the first one to even touch the ocean in my family. I come from a long line of truckers from the midwest.
Good Times
boneyard
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Generations

Postby twopoint » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm the first. Both of my parents think it's a waste of time. "There's no job in surf" etc. etc. Very practical people.

My husband puts up with it and surfs once a year. Don't worry- I take him to Otter on those days ;) !

We have a new ten month old daughter so hopefully we'll have a second generation wahine down the line in a few years.
twopoint
Plover Murderer

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 pm

1st Generation...my dad totally supported me in surfing though...he bought me my first board at Huntington Beach, it was 5'10, the guy who sold it to me said "this is a perfect beginner board"..2 years later I got a Ricky Young custom fun board to learn on.

My brothers both got into it for a while...we were surfing Westport back when you could park right on the beach. They were actually alot better than me but I am the only one really surfing now.

My 3 year old son is practicing his pops on an old Hammer but right now he thinks scuba diving is cooler. Oh well, at least he can drive to the ocean with me!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:10 am

My Uncle was amongst the first crew of Welsh surfers. He shaped a few boards and passed them on to my cousins. My old man was a lifeboat man so was always pulling surfers out of stupid situations and it took me a long time to convince him I knew my limits.

I don't plan on passing it on to my kid. I wouldn't wish this existence upon anyone.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:42 am

First. I have loads of cousins, nieces, nephews, brother in laws, sister in laws, second cousins and assorted family members we no longer speak of who all surf.

I just noticed how aged my hands are from too much surfing and the sun...guess my dreams of being a hand model are dashed.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby John Dolan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:41 pm

My Pops, God rest his soul, was a pilot trainer in WWII. Crashed twice on aircraft carriers. Total Kook move.
John Dolan
I love a good soft top

Postby Moe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:52 pm

1st... I think it's interesting though because my family has nothing against the water but they still seemed confused that people surf in Oregon (from washington w/no surfing around).
Moe
I've got Daddy issues

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf