Change font size   Print view

Movie Reviews

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Re: Movie Reviews

Postby speelyei » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 am

the road. not quite the horror show the book was, but still plenty depressing.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby fossilgrom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Robin Hood,

Have not seen the movie. I liked this review though:

Robin Hood, Robin Hood With a big fat belly. Robin Hood, Robin Hood He's old and mean and smelly! Dashing? No he's not! And he mumbles quite a lot, Mumbles a lot, mum mum' lot.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood They spent a lot of money. Robin Hood, Robin Hood The merry men aren't funny! Humor's outside Russell's range! All he does is rage, Doing rage. Lots of rage.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Never appears in Green. Robin Hood, Robin Hood That would be "too mainstream". He wears black and acts with angst, and is racist against the Franks, Hates the Franks, Hate the Franks.

Maid Marion, Maid Marion You've lost your youthful looks. Maid Marion, Maid Marion This is not how you were in the books. You've been aged now instead, So Russell won't look old in bed. Russell's bed, Russell's bed.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood Goes on endlessly. Ridley Scott, Ridley Scott Please stop I beg of thee! The legend that we all knew You didn't even bother to pursue. Such a chance you blew, chance you blew.

Russell Crowe, Russell Crowe You're getting really old. Russell Crowe, Russell Crowe Your acting's predictable. First you're mad and then you're sad. You're such a one trick lad! One trick lad, one trick lad.

Russell Crowe, Russell Crowe You're really past your prime. Russell Crowe, Russell Crowe I think it's quitin' time. You did the best you can, but got beat by Iron man. It's time to go, take it slow and do cameos.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby fossilgrom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:51 pm

OK...went to see Robin Hood...

First, let me say that I love the old Errol Flynn movie - whether it is historically correct or not.

This version is strange...mostly bad really...in fact...really bad. I won't be a spoiler, but believe me...it is bad.

If you must see it, do yourself a favor and wait unitl you can rent it for like $0.99 or less, or do like I did and get someone else to buy your ticket.

Maybe it would be better with chemical asistance which, I did not have. Isn't everything?

peace
fossilgrom

Postby Spent » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:58 pm

"A Serious Man" Its the Cohen Bros version of American Beauty. Don't expect another 'Big Lebowski' though. Harsh take on the existential crisis of the post-war middle class Jewish American male. Rife with dark humour, of course.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby wanty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:10 am

Inglorious Basterds: worth the watch. sometimes slow, as mr tarantino likes to emphasize the little details of a situation, but tolerable. many scenes that keep you on edge. decent flick i guess.
wanty
Site Admin

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 am

I saw the original recently. The plot was weak but overall I thought it was better than Tarantino's since it's more about how the basterds assemble.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Spent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 am

i can't believe all the luke warm reviews of 'basterds.' i think it is the best thing tarantino has ever done. how many times have you planned out an intricate revenge fantasy in your head?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:18 am

The dialog was sharp but the plot was weak but necessary for me to feel sympathy. Kill Bill achieved that; Basterds, not so much. I have to say though, at the end when Brad Pit's character wants to know if the Nazi dude is going to eventually take his uniform off and then carves the swastika into his forehead, kinda brought a tear to my eye.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:42 pm

With you on this one Spent - I'm not a movie critic, I watch them for pure entertainment value and often I have to dumb down my expectations until something is tolerable, which is easy for me to do. Sometimes I forget to un-dumb my brain for a few days therafter..
Anyways I wasn'y looking for some kind of historical accuracy, just something to pair up a few IPA's with.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby fossilgrom » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 pm

I with you too Spent.

I really liked Basterds.
fossilgrom

Postby Gazsurf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Me too. Good movie esp if you like the quirky Tarentino humor.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby nm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 am

Seraphine.

per wiki:
Séraphine Louis, known as "Séraphine de Senlis" ("Séraphine of Senlis") (1864–1942), was a French painter in the naïve style. Self-taught, she was inspired by her religious faith and by stained-glass church windows and other religious art. The intensity of her images, both in color and in replicative designs, are sometimes interpreted as a reflection of her own psyche, walking a tightrope between ecstasy and mental illness.

French. Beautifully shot.

She produced some amazing art.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby smithgrind » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Juno did me a solid.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby speelyei » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:42 am

The North Face, a movie about the tragic attempt on the north face of the eiger by Hinterstoissier and Kurz. Hands down, the best climbing movie I've ever seen. Excellent attention to detail, the Hollywood treatment doesn't detract from the real story. Anyone interested in climbing should read Eiger: Wall of Death, it follows the fatal attempts to climb the North Face. Since 1935, 64 people have died trying to climb it... it reads like a Stephen King novel.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

smithgrind wrote:Juno did me a solid.

It made you have to poop? Better than doing you a sloppy.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)