Change font size   Print view

Movie Reviews

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Re: Movie Reviews

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:44 pm

speelyei wrote:The North Face, a movie about the tragic attempt on the north face of the eiger by Hinterstoissier and Kurz. Hands down, the best climbing movie I've ever seen. Excellent attention to detail, the Hollywood treatment doesn't detract from the real story. Anyone interested in climbing should read Eiger: Wall of Death, it follows the fatal attempts to climb the North Face. Since 1935, 64 people have died trying to climb it... it reads like a Stephen King novel.

Is this that one about the Nazi's climbing?
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby speelyei » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 pm

'the deep' with Nick Nolte. Life must've been good... shooting on location in the carribean with jacquelyn Bissett...
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby speelyei » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 am

thank you mods!!!

cross of iron by sam peckinpah. Now I see where a lot of ideas for inlgorious basterds and saving private ryan came from, not to mention many video games. If you like war movies, this is a must see.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby bluesilver » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:11 pm

watched Clash of the Titans on a smallish airplane TV, not as bad as the reviews made it out to be -TYPICAL

What kind of a flipping education do you need to be a film critic? Or do you just need to be fat, boring and own a few thesauruses?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby nm » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Between the Folds

"A documentary exploring the science, art, creativity, and ingenuity of many of the world's best paper folders"

A blend of art, math, physics....Absolutely amazing.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby bluesilver » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:38 pm

book of eli - boring, didn't even finish it
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby nm » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am

Girl 27

~2007 documentary about the 1937 rape of MGM movie extra Patricia Douglas, the front-page news stories that followed, and the subsequent cover-up of the entire event

Also covered are the rape of singer Eloise Spann and her subsequent suicide, as well as the better known scandal involving actress Loretta Young and her "adopted" daughter Judy Lewis~

This GIRL....Patricia Douglas....was 17 when she was "attacked" by an MGM salesman that was 36. She finally told her story in 2003...at 83....and she still couldn't use the word rape.

Excellent documentary. Sad.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby bluesilver » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:22 am

The Bounty Hunter w/gerard butlet and aniston...way too flipping long and not even slightly funny. SKIP!

Moon... good/trippy movie about a guy on a 3 year mission alone on the dark sode of the moon harvesting minerals or something that Earth now uses for energy. Entertaining, creepy, possible. Watch this after a bowl.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby erzats » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:36 pm

nm wrote:Girl 27

~2007 documentary about the 1937 rape of MGM movie extra Patricia Douglas, the front-page news stories that followed, and the subsequent cover-up of the entire event

Also covered are the rape of singer Eloise Spann and her subsequent suicide, as well as the better known scandal involving actress Loretta Young and her "adopted" daughter Judy Lewis~

This GIRL....Patricia Douglas....was 17 when she was "attacked" by an MGM salesman that was 36. She finally told her story in 2003...at 83....and she still couldn't use the word rape.

Excellent documentary. Sad.

Extremely relevant given Roman Polanski's walk back into freedom of late. Funny, I couldn't recall his name so I googled "movie director rape" and he was the first hit. At least wikipedia knows the truth.
erzats
core!

Postby nm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

A Touch of Greatness

~A Portrait of Renegade Educator Albert Cullum~

Regarded by academics as one of the most influential educators of the 1960s and '70s, Albert Cullum championed what is by today's standards an unorthodox educational philosophy built upon the fervent belief that the only way teachers can be successful with children is to speak directly to their hearts and to their instinctive and largely ignored capacity to quickly understand and identify with the great personalities, ideas and emotions found in classical literature. To that end, Cullum regularly taught his elementary school children literary masterpieces, exposed them to great works of art and engaged them in the events of world history. Without leaving the classroom, his students visited King Tut's tomb, attended joint sessions of the U.S. Congress, operated on bleeding nouns in his "grammar hospital," and clamored to play the timeless roles of Julius Caesar, Lady Macbeth and Hamlet.......then unknown filmmaker, Robert Downey (the irreverent director of the independent classic Putney Swope) filmed many of Cullum's classroom events. These lush black and white films, with original music created by Tom O'Horgan, capture the work of this radical teacher and the amazing passion for learning that his students embraced.

Robert Downey's filming of the students' plays is spectacular. Truly inspiring documentary. I wish there were more educators like Albert Cullum....
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby bluesilver » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Repo-Men: went to sleep when the repo dude is in the big shootout in the hallway likely around the end
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Hot tub time machine is the funniest movie ever this year.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby WC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 am

Encounters at the End of the World-documentary about Antarctica, and the people living there.

slightly confused, full of interviews with space cadets, not put together very well, walks off into the deep end several times.

but

really amazing footage, interesting quotes, inspirational, and couldn't stop watching it, worth a look.
Save the Seagulls.
WC
duck diving fool

Postby erzats » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:17 am

WC, you just described every Werner Hertzog documentary out there. They are like watching a slowly unfolding train wreck. You are drawn in but can't explain why exactly.

Watched Harold and Maude recently and loved it. Dig the cat stevens sound track.

Me and Orson Wells was good too.
erzats
core!

Postby WC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Harold and Maude is great, love that movie

"Being There"-I liked this movie a lot, it was quiet and interesting, and different, they made some good movies back in the 70's.
"The Collapse"-hour and a half of Michael Ruppert telling you how everything is gonna collapse soon, seems like he's been right so far.
Save the Seagulls.
WC
duck diving fool

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)