Change font size   Print view

Water, hops, barley and malt.

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Postby Dub Star » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Hop Havest Ales!

Did a little tasting over at Belmont Station last week they have 5 or 6 of them on tap right now.

Ninkasi Fresh Hop Ale: 5 stars my fav. Super crisp IPA. These guys can do no wrong IMO.
Full Sail Hop Harvest: Imperial IPA, 4 stars runner up.
Double Mountian: IPAish, 3 stars decent expected a little more from one of my favorite new breweries.
Hop Works: 3.5 stars they did a October fest style ale with fresh hops. Different and good, just a little lower on the IBU's comparitively.
Bridgeport Hop Harvest: skiped it cause I've already had it. Good but not as good as last year.

I was an intesting bike ride home.....
Dub Star

Postby grizldoldfk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:05 pm

celebration ale?...anyone?...anyone?...

(i personally am readjusting my tastebuds with it in order to surprise attack them soon again with ye olde sheaf stout. i can hardly wait!)

if i recall, celebration ale travels well by bike, opened and sloshing, and reeking of celebration.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Tatonka » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:23 pm

dub,

good to read of those ales...I just got back from Hopworks and although I'd agree with the 3.5 star rating on the O-fest, it's good to find a spot that serves up decent beer and welcomes the groms...
can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tatonka
duck diving fool

Postby grizldoldfk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:14 am

just when you thought life was just overpriced arrogant bastard...along comes fred g. meyer and a little pre-holiday gift from the heart...
SNOW CAP 22oz bottles only $2.79 !!!!
life is good.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Ceedog » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:59 am

Got offered a hamms today, that vintage hasn't passed through my lips in nie on 15 years. I felt like I was back in high school again.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 am

i got offered a coors light up at elk camp.
but i just said no...thanks.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby turtle » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 pm

This winter weather has me jonesin' for oatmeal stouts.

I had the Ninkasi Oatis Stout on draft at the Green Dragon last week, Oh mY!! a perrfect score on my palate board, 5 stars, had 1 with dinner and 1 for dessert!

The Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is another all time favorite, this bomber can't be beat, closest thing you'll find to a meal in a bottle, this brewery can do no wrong. Boonville baby!!

And from across the pond...Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout is a classic but really not on par with the 2 above. I drink it and thouroughly enjoy it but give it 3.5 stars. However, it should be noted that Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale is a thing of true beauty. Simply, candy. The pinnicle of Nut Brown Ales IMHO.

Enjoy the Holiday Cheer and Quaff the Fresh...
Last edited by turtle on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtle
secret spots are my forte

Postby grizldoldfk » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:41 pm

excellent review turtle.
i am intrigued, and i shall partake!
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Fish » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:42 pm

Wiss Brau Pesky Porter and Wiss Brau Dead Teddy

-the best homebrew
Fish
boogie boarders run ME over!

Postby grizldoldfk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 pm

jubelale activates adult onset asthma.
but it's yummy.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby montana » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:01 am

I second the motion on both the Andersen Valley and the Samuel Smith.

Do you have to be an adult to experience adult onset asthma? Just kidding.

So, I walk into Jake's Crawfish for the Happy Hour Seafood Etoufee' and ask for my usual Guinness. I'm told the tap's temporarily dry and it will be up and running soon. I could wait, though the blonde waitress says they have something local that's just as good.

Sure, I think, but she's pretty cute, so I try it. At first quaff, I'm not entirely sure whether the GS is back pouring or I got the domestic. Can't remember the name. To my palate, it was nearly equal to the Guinness, just a notch or two 'lighter'.

Follow it up with the Chocolate Pot de Creme from the HH dessert menu and an Irish Coffee and you've got nothing to complain about. You're outta' there for under $20, including tip. For real. Tell 'em Montana sent you.
montana

Postby Dub Star » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:46 pm

They serve good beer on the coast that doesnt cost 6 bones a pint? WOW.

Sampled all of the winter ales and back on the IPA's for the most part now.

Roots Festivs was one of my favs this years. The Epic was good and strong too. As with the Habenero Stout for it's diverse flavs.

Ninkasi's stout, Tutle mentiond was killer. Had it at the GD as well. Did you hear Rouge bought that place? They also had one seasonal called Slayer that I had at the Ale fest that was really good.

Lopoc had a good IPA, C's Greetings a take off the classic C Note.

This hoppy red, Rudolf Red I had at the Holiday Ale Fest was off the hook. The Caborator Halicanator there was killer as well. Really there were many beers at the fest this year I liked, including the Pelican's Bad Santa.

Outa state the Hibernation from Bison in Colorado was damn good as well, but more than 2 put you into hibernation.

Life in Beervana is hard to beat and no where else can compare as far as I am concerned. My palete has been extremly spoiled here in Stumptown.
Dub Star

Postby Dano » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm

One of the few perks of living in Eugene is the Ninkasi (Oatis Stout, Tricerahops, Total Domination etc.) is on tap everywhere and kegs are cheap (ish). Gotta love the local brewery that absolutely nails it.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby turtle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 pm

DUb- "4 weeks dry" but your whistle sure got wet. Your added ballast may help stabalize early on those late drops.

The Dragon claims their staying the same yet prices already went up. They do however have the aforementioned Anderson Valley Blarney Flats Stout on tap and on deck!! Milking the winter ales myself :)
turtle
secret spots are my forte

Postby Dub Star » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:15 pm

Yeah Turtle I definately dont live in Portland for the surf. The dry spells are just part of the progam, of which I've become acustomed to these days. PDX is all about the beers and bike comuting for me. Two things that keep me wet and what I love about this place.
Dub Star

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)