Change font size   Print view

Water, hops, barley and malt.

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

i saved a half drunk snow cap in the fridge.
popped a new one, but forgot where i put it. grabbed that yesterday's flat one and dang if it wasn't just absolutely delicious. better than the freshie. try it and see what i'm talkin' about. sounds hillbilly i know, but it's true.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Dub Star » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Well'p winters back. Hit up Hopworks for lunch cause I was in the hood. Opted for something dark and strong, so had the bartender pour me a Sasquash, a seasonal strong ale. Good shitt. Sampled many other seasonals. The winter ale is alos tastey. Chated with the brewers and they will have 22's on the shelves with in a week.
Dub Star

Postby wyosurf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm

wtf?: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/oregon_revenue_hunt_comes_to_a.html
increasing the $2.60 tax on a barrel of beer to nearly $50

to
Kurt Widmer wrote:"The lie of the 15 cents is that a pint (actually) goes from $4 to $5.50,"

this better not pass.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
--Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wyosurf
I've got Daddy issues

Postby bluesilver » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 am

The guy they interviewed in the beginning really sounded like a moron.

I couldn't care less about the tax, gov needs the money. We need the services. You wouldn't care either if you didn't drink an 18 pack a night.

In my opinion they should not tax the Oregon microbrews, however... Just the cheap crap. Rogue is too expensive as it is.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby wyosurf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 am

thing that gets me is it is such an increase; from 3$ to 50$ 1500% :shock:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
--Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wyosurf
I've got Daddy issues

Postby grizldoldfk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 pm

sheaf stout.
still 3 bucks

(wish i had 3 bucks)
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Dub Star » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Why a 1900% Beer Tax Increase is a Bad Idea

If, 25 years ago, a group had approached Oregon Legislators promising their industry would produce 5,200 direct jobs and over 10,000 indirect jobs, if they promised their industry would be clean, green, popular with Oregonians and provide a uniquely Oregon attraction for visitors that would equal the states wineries, if they would forego any tax breaks plus agree to pay tens of millions of dollars for the privilege of doing business in Oregon – what would legislators have said?

That is the history of Oregon’s craft brewing industry. We’ve grown an iconic industry built on uniquely Oregon advantages in agriculture, people, place, lifestyle and tourism. Oregon legislators have encouraged the growth of the Oregon craft beer industry by keeping beer taxes here competitive with neighboring states. Only 1 of the top 50 Craft brewing companies in the U.S. in 2007 resides in a top 10 beer excise tax state. Oregon is home to 7 of the top 50 craft brewing companies in the U.S.

Raising Oregon beer tax rates would be bad for Oregonians and Oregon beer producers because…

Boosting beer taxes by nearly $50 per barrel – an increase of over 1900% – would make Oregon beer taxes the highest in the country.[1]

Raising Oregon beer taxes by nearly $50 per barrel would be the largest single increase in beer taxes in American history.[2]

Oregon Brewers Guild members already pay millions of dollars per year in beer excise taxes in addition to state corporate and income taxes, property taxes and fees all other Oregon businesses must pay.

Tax hikes on beer producers would raise prices for Oregon consumers, retailers and restaurants at the worst possible moment

Beer taxes are inherently regressive – more than half of the proposed increase would be paid by Oregonians earning less than $45,000 per year.

Restaurants and taverns are already experiencing major revenue losses from the economic downturn, and to tack a price increase on beer would only drive more price-sensitive customers away.

The proposed tax would increase beer prices significantly, which would encourage customers to purchase their beer from retailers in bordering states.

Higher beer taxes threaten Oregon’s growing beer industry and the $375 million in economic benefits the industry generates in Oregon every year.[3]

The proposed beer tax increase will devastate a homegrown industry. Oregon’s beer industry directly provides over 5,200 jobs.[4]

Increasing state taxes on beer by more than 1900% over the current tax could result in the loss of up to 3,400 jobs. [5]

A huge beer tax hike will threaten the second-largest craft beer industry in the nation with higher costs and lost sales

Taxes already are the single most expensive ingredient in beer, costing more than the labor and raw materials.

Oregon’s beer tax rate is already higher than beer tax rates in Colorado, Missouri and Wisconsin.[6]

The Oregon Legislature’s recognition of the economic development benefit from keeping Oregon beer tax rates competitive with other beer-producing states has nurtured the second largest craft brewing industry in the nation.

Raising Oregon beer taxes would make Oregon beer, already premium-priced, less competitive and stunt its growth.

Around 12% of beer consumed in Oregon is made here by Oregonians. That’s the highest craft beer market share of any state in the country – three times higher than the national average.

Only 5.09% of current Oregon beer, wine and liquor tax net revenues actually are earmarked for mental health, alcohol and drug treatment programs.[7]

State and local governments have not been held accountable for the $155.8 million they collected in 2008 in net beer, wine and liquor revenues. They cannot tell you how they are spending most of the current alcohol taxes they collect because only a small percentage is specifically spent for treatment programs.

In 2008, only $7.9 million of the $155.8 million in total revenue collected was earmarked specifically for mental health, alcohol and drug treatment programs.

It’s unfair to ask beer drinkers to pay for prevention and treatment for all substance abuse in Oregon.

If policymakers want more money for alcohol and drug treatment programs, they should first consider reprioritizing the General Fund dollars we currently collect rather than boosting beer taxes.

Brewers would have to pay the higher tax whether or not they are profitable. To stay afloat, they will be forced to pass the tax increase on to consumers and suffer the sales losses rather than make too little margin per sale to keep their businesses viable.

1 The proposed increase would raise Oregon’s beer excise taxes to $1.68/gallon. Currently Alaska’s beer excise taxes are the highest state taxes in the country at $1.07/gallon.

2 The largest previous tax increase was when Alaska raised its rate from $10.35/barrel to the current rate of $33.17/barrel. The proposed increase in HB 2461 would raise Oregon’s current $2.60/barrel rate to $52.21/barrel.

3 Economic impact study, 2005, Beer Serves America

4 Oregon Brewers Guild data for jobs directly related to Oregon’s breweries.

5 Oregon’s beer excise tax rate is $.084/gallon. Colorado’s rate is $.080/gallon, Wisconsin’s is $.065/gallon and Missouri’s is $0.06/gallon according to Beer Institute’s Brewer’s Almanac.

6 Economic Impact Study, Beer Serves America

7 Oregon Liquor Control Commission Data for the Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Services Account in 2008

Oregon Beer Industry Facts
Oregon Brewers Guild Fact Sheet

Oregon Breweries directly employ more than 5,200 people, many at family wage jobs. 1
Total economic impact from the beer industry on Oregon’s economy is $2.25 billion. 3
Over the last 5 years Oregon Breweries created 2300 jobs. 1
Over the last 5 years Oregon Brewed beer consumed in Oregon rose from 9.9% to 12.0%.1
Over the last 5 years for every 1,000 barrels Oregon Brewed beer consumed in Oregon, more than 30 jobs were created. 1
Over the last 5 years per capita consumption of beer is down in Oregon.1
Oregon is the second largest producer of craft beer in the US. 1
Oregon is the second largest craft beer market in the US. 1
The Oregon market is the largest market for every craft brewer in Oregon. 1
37% Percent of all draft beer consumed in Oregon is brewed in Oregon. 1
Oregon has the 4th highest percentage of beer draft sales in the US. 1
Oregonians consumed 2.72 million barrels of beer in 2008, of that more than 327,000 barrels were made in Oregon or about 12 percent of the total beer consumed in Oregon – the highest percentage of local craft beer consumption in the country.1,3
Oregon is the No. 2 hop growing state in the country with a 2008 crop value of $38,000,000 which ranks 18th in Oregon’s five billion dollar agricultural economy. 4
There are currently 73 brewing companies, operating 96 brewing facilities in Oregon.1
There are 30 breweries operating in Portland, more than any other city in the world. 1
The Portland metro area has 38 breweries, more than any other metro area in the world. 1
The Portland metro area is the largest craft brewing market in the United States(U.S.).2
The national average for total craft beer consumption is 4.0 percent. 2

Sources 1. Oregon Brewers Guild; 2 Brewers Association, 3 John Dunham and Associates, 2005; 4 Oregon Hop Commission; 5. U.S. Census Bureau 6.Brewers Almanac Oregon Beer Facts
Dub Star

Postby turtle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm

DstaR, so what your saying is you think an increased beer tax is a bad idea? For the most part I have to agree. Although I'm hardly well informed, & too A.D.D to read your entire post, I've heard that Or. has one of the lowest beer taxes of any state and that the suggested increase is merely a starting point for negotiations. I also have to wonder about all the good that $$ could(potentially) do. I am not a cigarette smoker and would gladly support any tax increase on Tobacco. So why not a reasonable increase in beer tax? After all, craft beers are a luxury item that we choose to afford. Believe me, I drink good local beer regularly and I am no Richie Rich. On the flip side, I do think there are FAR better things to tax more heavily than beer, like gas for instance. If I had to pay the true cost for a gallon of gas, I'd probably cash it all in and move to Ocean Vista Dr. and brew my own beer!

Now, back to our original programming:

ENjoying a Lompoc C-note imperial pale ale right now, light, refreshing, well balanced, hoppy ale. An IPA all the way and super smooth.

HAd a sixer of Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Ale, a little on the fruity side for my palate very aromatic w/ hints of juniper berry(i think) and packs a punch . Probably best enjoyed by a crackling fire with bird in the oven.

Can't wait for Ninkasi's new seasonal realease, Spring Reign due out any minute!!!
Cheers.
life is short... paddle hard.
turtle
secret spots are my forte

Postby turtle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:37 pm

O.K. O.K. I'm reading more of your post, YEs a 1900% beer tax increase is a bad idea. Any tax we incur should be accounted for, no?
turtle

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 pm

no taxation without representation ...biyatch.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA on tap, OHHH MAMA!

Aroma-rama: smells like, KGB in a beverage, the essence of Norcal floral notes, it should be illegal to drink this beer out of the bottle, breathe it in.

Quaf-ablitiy: Hop-aliscious, pace yourself, drinks almost too easily for hop lovers. Drinking this beer makes me smile.
turtle

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:15 pm

any suggestions for a god beer for one who is suffering from the creeping crud/flubug/newworldorder chemtrail illness? i feel like crap- sniffling sneezing coughing stuffy head aching nyquil style, and it never fails...i get a little bit better, and treat myself to a pint, and it's back to feeling crappy...makes it not worth it at all...
anyone got a cure? (as ale's what cures you is really more preventative i've found.)
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Gazsurf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:15 am

grizldoldfk wrote:any suggestions for a god beer for one who is suffering from the creeping crud/flubug/newworldorder chemtrail illness? i feel like crap- sniffling sneezing coughing stuffy head aching nyquil style, and it never fails...i get a little bit better, and treat myself to a pint, and it's back to feeling crappy...makes it not worth it at all...
anyone got a cure? (as ale's what cures you is really more preventative i've found.)

This is some serious bio weapon that they developed to thin the herd...
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby grizldoldfk » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 am

i meant "good" beer, not "god" beer...but hey, while we're on the subject...
nah-nevermind...
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby turtle » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:32 pm

for what ales you....
best stick to a Hot Toddie,
all that yeasty beer goodness
just helps incubate whatever virus is a brewing...
turtle

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)