Change font size   Print view

O’Neil Mutant

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

O’Neil Mutant

Postby Quad Head » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am

Looking to pick up a 4 mill for spring and summer and wonder how that detachable hood works? Good? Bad?
Quad Head

Re: O’Neil Mutant

Postby smithgrind » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Good. I've got 2 mutants.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby losingtoday » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:54 am

Mutant's rubber is not as warm as other 4mm's in the same price range. Hood works well though, as long as you can keep track of it.... had a buddy lose a few to forgetting them on the top of the car.
losingtoday
shorepounder

Postby smithgrind » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 pm

I should note that both of my mutants were purchased on the cheap/discount/SC O'neill outlet. For $230 a suit it's hard for me to find fault with them. Maybe the rubber in the mutant isn't as warm as other 4mm's but since I run a polypro layer underneath mine it doesn't matter.

Gotta agree with you, M...it's easy to misplace the extra hooded or non hooded chest zip
piece of the suit. I usually leave the hood zipped in and keep hoodless piece in my surfpack.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby losingtoday » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Didn't mean to sound like i was ripping on the mutant, I think its a good suit, just not quite as warm. Not really a bad thing in my book, it's nice and flexible, which means you can catch more waves (and stay warmer by doing so). Plus adding a polypro probably makes it as warm as a good 5/4.
losingtoday
shorepounder

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)