Change font size   Print view

my wetsuit fits like crap

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

my wetsuit fits like crap

Postby speelyei » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:06 pm

who do they use to model wetsuit sizes?

I am not a "buff dude". Anyone who's seen me will attest to that. But If try to buy a "large" wetsuit, I can barely move my arms, and I'll blow the shoulders and arms out overnight. It will also be too short... A "large tall" fits right in the waist, arms, and legs, but is too tight in the chest and shoulders.
An XL fits good in the arms and shoulders, and the sleeves are the right length, but there's a yard and a half of extra neoprene all bunched up around my waist, my @ss is saggin, and there's extra length all wadded up at my ankles. Also, I got skinny chick legs, and I come out of the water with about 15 gallons of seawater in big bulged up "cankles"...
weak. Anybody know a seamstress that can take in a wetsuit?
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Re: my wetsuit fits like crap

Postby wyosurf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:57 pm

i have the same problem. even worse, the last time i went out i took a wave on the head & somehow my suit gotten unzipped so filled w/water & with all that water i could barely swim + getting thrashed in the spin cycle, almost drown. when i made it to shore huge cankles, felt like 50lbs of water.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
--Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wyosurf
I've got Daddy issues

Postby nm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 pm

speelyei wrote:who do they use to model wetsuit sizes?

I am not a "buff dude". Anyone who's seen me will attest to that. But If try to buy a "large" wetsuit, I can barely move my arms, and I'll blow the shoulders and arms out overnight. It will also be too short... A "large tall" fits right in the waist, arms, and legs, but is too tight in the chest and shoulders.
An XL fits good in the arms and shoulders, and the sleeves are the right length, but there's a yard and a half of extra neoprene all bunched up around my waist, my @ss is saggin, and there's extra length all wadded up at my ankles. Also, I got skinny chick legs, and I come out of the water with about 15 gallons of seawater in big bulged up "cankles"...
weak. Anybody know a seamstress that can take in a wetsuit?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

awesome. thanks spee...

i won't bore you with my attempts to try on "women's" wetsuits. i'm forced to buy men's small. it fits in the shoulders & arms....but then i'm left with bunches of extra material at the crotch (what you guys need extra material for is beyond me. obviously the manufacturer hasn't surfed in cold water.... :shock: ) and the legs are too short. i should learn how to sew.... :lol:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby WC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:54 pm

nm wrote:
speelyei wrote: "cankles"...
weak.

rofl

...maybe a custom suit
Save the Seagulls.
WC
duck diving fool

Postby Ceedog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:57 am

$5-600 for a custom.

I've always had the same problem, LS too tight XLS too loose around the middle.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby McDing » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I guess "Promotion" is still in biz. You can take you own measurements and call it in or go up there and let them do it. They are very reasonable and custom only.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Vaseline is a great help. Great conversation starter also.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby losingtoday » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Ok I've been waiting for someone to say something about it, but I guess I'm gonna have to bring it up.

What brand of wetsuit are you wearing? Every brand has a totally different cut, and even some brand's different models are cut differently than others.

In my experience, Xcel's fits bigger/stockier/buffer guys better, whereas Rip Curl's fit skinny dudes better. O'Neills are cut a little larger than Rip Curls, but still toward the skinny dude, and same with Quiksilver. For example, Xcel's fit me like crap, too much room in the waist, whereas the same size Rip Curl's and Quik suits fit great.

Like I said before, some of the models are cut differently so that guide should be used loosely. Many of the higher end models have better cuts than the mid-range or low end models, and will fit better. Best advice is to go to a shop with a large selection of suits, and try a ton of them on. And then hand the sweaty suits that don't fit to the employee working when you're done :)
losingtoday
shorepounder

Postby speelyei » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 pm

billabong.

Unfortunately, i have always had to buy last years models and the "Budget" suits. One of these days I might spring for a super-mega awesome expensive suit... now that I'm a valley dweller.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby smithgrind » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:07 pm

speelyei wrote:billabong..

Say no more. Never had a billabong I ever liked.

Wetsuits are as personal as it gets. I went from a size M O'Neill to a size S O'Neill and now to a size MT Rip Curl.
My height hasn't changed in the last 15 years. My weight is within a 6 lbs. range. Gotta try them all on to figure out
who you're gonna pee with.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby the dude » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 pm

smithgrind wrote:
speelyei wrote:billabong..
I went from a size M O'Neill to a size S O'Neill...

me too.
the dude
I do it Beavertail style

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Simple fix bro....eat more and go to a XL or go all out and get to a XXLS like me....fits like a glove....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby the dude » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:XXLS
:shock: :shock: :shock:
the dude
I do it Beavertail style

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)