Change font size   Print view

What are you reading right now?

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:06 pm

nmm wrote: Started Weisbecker's "Can't you get along with anyone?" Not even two chapters in.......and I want to puke. Pretty sure this book is going to be pitched through my sliding glass door.......before I get a third of the way through it. :lol:

i'll be there to catch it!

i need some cheering up after reading " the year of magical thinking" by joan didion.
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby nm » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 am

spider wrote:
nmm wrote: Started Weisbecker's "Can't you get along with anyone?" Not even two chapters in.......and I want to puke. Pretty sure this book is going to be pitched through my sliding glass door.......before I get a third of the way through it. :lol:

i'll be there to catch it!

i need some cheering up after reading " the year of magical thinking" by joan didion.

It's been almost two weeks.....and I've managed to choke down another half a chapter. Good god can that man digress. On a positive note.......the sliding glass door is still intact.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Nasty » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:31 am

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Nasty

Postby brdsurf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:08 am

I have a habit of having 3 or 4 books open at once. Still get through 1000's pages a week.
Right now
The latest from Neil Peart:Roadshow
Anthony Bourdain:Nasty Bits
Kalle Päätalo:Myrsky Koillismaassa "storm over the land"
Hemingway:Islands in the Stream

Soon done with all. Library card gets a great deal of use.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby nm » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:33 am

hey bird.......I was reading a review on Bourdain's Nasty Bits the other day. Would you mind giving your take........so far?
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:49 am

Snobs.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby brdsurf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Nmm, if you have read any of his other stuff then you will understand his point of view of things. Its so far basically just a compilation of newspaper columns that he has done so far. It has bit ranging from bashing on the "celebrity chef" culture, him chasing his idea of a perfect meal somewhere. If you have read kitchen confidential and a cooks tour, its kind of like a combo of the two, with episodes, or chapters that average just a few pages in length.
As a worker in the same line of work, it is an interesting thing to read, as is his other books. Not always the most accurate though. Having spent some time in European kitchens he rants about, I can disagree with his views, but to the average reader they wouldnt know.
Not as entertaining as his previous books. Im starting to feel his ego is a bit out of whack now.
An ok read, like it better than the Captian Zero crap though.

Check into Neil Pearts Ghost Rider. Great travel memoir book.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Gazsurf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:29 pm

brdsurf wrote:An ok read, like it better than the Captian Zero crap though.

A "Why we hate Weisbecker" thread might be timely too..................personally I thought Zero was a great read, he was able to portray a road trip as a surfer, like Drew Kampion used to write for Surfer,few do it as well. His drug forays along the East Coast captured human nature and Nature herself. In Zero he kept the story running forward, he had a destination and got there. His ego was out front and center but that didn't hold up the pace of the book.

This latest piece hasn't the benefit of Weisbecker's past to carry it and suffers from his recent adventures which have not been as kind to him. Not close as a follow up.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:04 pm

I agree with Gaz....we need an "I hate Weisbecker" thread.

I also agree that Zero was a great read. I have read it several times.

My only complaint is that he tends to get stuck on one word or thought for way too long. But i think that is a fairly common malady of writers of that caliber.

I have not read the new one, but look forward to reading it.

I am familiar with NMM's taste in books and being a Lit major definitely feeds the uppitiness. No doubt she is more well versed than I will ever be, but then again, if you never had seared Ahi, you would never know how much tuna casserole sucks. That...and she hates men. Well, at least straight male writers, like Hemingway. :lol:
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Dub Star » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:27 pm

I enjoyed the Search for Captin Zero as well. Been to and know a lot of the places and people in that book.

Good read in my book, but I'm no book worm. My AHAD get's in the way.
Dub Star

Postby nm » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:I am familiar with NMM's taste in books and being a Lit major definitely feeds the uppitiness. No doubt she is more well versed than I will ever be, but then again, if you never had seared Ahi, you would never know how much tuna casserole sucks. That...and she hates men. Well, at least straight male writers, like Hemingway. :lol:

You've never had my grandmother's tuna casserole.

ps: Hemingway was a fag. The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite novels..........hence........fag. :wink:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:51 pm

nmm wrote:You've never had my grandmother's tuna casserole.

Oh yeah...yer from grantsass. Home of the Tuna Casserole. Got the recipe? :lol:

ps: Hemingway was a fag. The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite novels..........hence........fag. :wink:

I suddenly feel very uneasy about you ever liking my writing. :?

However it explains a lot about your fawning over the writing of Foulweather, Gaz, and Gills.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby FoulWeather » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 pm

all the best writers have you wondering whether they would (or did) take it up the bum. i consider it a complement.
FoulWeather

Postby FoulWeather » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:
nmm wrote:You've never had my grandmother's tuna casserole.

Oh yeah...yer from grantsass. Home of the Tuna Casserole. Got the recipe? :lol:

I suddenly feel very uneasy about you ever liking my writing. :?

However it explains a lot about your fawning over the writing of Foulweather, Gaz, and Gills.

all the best writers have you wondering whether they would (or did) take it up the bum. i consider that a complement.
FoulWeather

Postby FoulWeather » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:16 pm

'John Crow's Devil' by Marlon James

http://www.akashicbooks.com/johncrowsdevil.htm

religion, bestiality, pedophilia, peversion, revenge and a classic battle between good vs evil where the line is very grey/gray.

if you like magic realism, okri, marquez and others, you might like this this twisted account of redemption in a remote village in post colonial jamaica.
Last edited by FoulWeather on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
FoulWeather

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)