Change font size   Print view

What are you reading right now?

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Reading "Original Instructions" . It's interesting points of view on the world today by various Native Americans leaders and allies.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Doc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallowa...
Hey! I have kids.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby nm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am

Breath ~ Tim Winton

Good easy read.

I wanted the author to expand on the main character a bit more.....seemed lacking. (Could be that the book was too short. More novella than novel.)

Some of you surfer-types may really enjoy it.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:37 pm

doc wrote:Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallowa...
Hey! I have kids.

doc

That bought you an excuse for the first three. Deathly Hallows means your in to it deep. I was there, it's okay. My excuse was, "my little brother and sister were reading it. I read it so we could have some thing to talk about."
That worked a while until I read them all a second time.

Right now it's Irving Kaplansky's notes published at last on Set Theory & Metric Spaces. It's a page turner.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby 1969 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:19 pm

The Fountainhead......Ayn Rand
.......wish I was Howard Roark......but sad to say i am another Peter Keating......lost in compromise & security in the financial excesses of the empire......

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:41 pm

You plagiarize?
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby 1969 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:53 pm

who have i plagurized now......maybe someone is sharing my brain......at least tell me who i have stolen from......

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Breakdown: Keating copies Roarks drawings during school and later in the book Roark draws some plans for him; Keating puts his name on it, then becomes rich and famous, hence plagiarism. If your another Keating then you must steal other peoples ideas. I was asking if that were the case. Otherwise you are not in fact like Keating.
Roark would have been cool if he surfed.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby 1969 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:33 pm

interesting breakdown..... not sure that is my takeaway. Keating has far greater issues than simple plagiarism. and even this is a debateable point, Roark clearly tells him he would deny even even working on such a project. Not sure that is considered stolen property

my statement was not literal..... when i say i am Keating, what i am referring to is what so many individuals go through on a daily basis in business. I cannot be 100% honest about my ideals, ethics, politics and stay moderately employed. I have to compromise, this is not something Roark - the protagonist would ever do. He would live up to the philosophy Rand is offering.....objectivism.......Roark would seek perfect reason and strive to meet every situation with honesty and the highest of reason and not concern himself with health insurance, employment, damage to reputation (right or wrong) money or security. Well that is not me........or dare i say.......what Rand clearly poses is most...if not all of us. just stating that i understand Peter Keating because I compromise in life everyday, but in my dreams and when I ponder the future.....i am more like Roark and less like Keating........but in the words of Tarintino....."that shite....just aint the truth"

Postby nm » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival ~Norman Ollestad~

A very visual writing style.....well done.

Those of you that connected to The Road through the father/son relationship.....will probably enjoy this.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Spider » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm

jaimal yogis - saltwater buddha
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby nm » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Spider wrote:jaimal yogis - saltwater buddha

give me your honest (brutal) opinion. i keep reading mixed reviews on this book....
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Spider » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:47 pm

so-so. kinda superficial, but entertaining.

easy read while getting over jet lag and exhaustion.
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Spent » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:05 am

Maybe read Siddartha instead?

I read a fair chunk of 'Saltwater Buddha' in the book shop while killing time and I wasn't impressed either. There again, I think Zen and surfing are incompatible in many ways.

Def want to check out 'Breath' though.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Spider » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 am

loved "breath".

and yes, siddharta would definitely be better. i should dig it up from my bookshelf. i know i have it, but can't remember whether it is the dutch or german edition. last time i read it, i was in my teens, i think...
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)