Change font size   Print view

What are you reading right now?

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

Postby Gazsurf » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:11 pm

Just finished "Can't you get along with anyone?" Allan Weisbecker's newest......you have to be a fan of his to get through this one I'm afraid. Good writer but this one details a bad realationship in all it's details. Wish he had just stayed with the Pavone's story it at least had more going for it.

This guy has lived life that much is clear.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby nm » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:58 am

Foul Pete wrote:'Running With Scissors' by Augusten Burroughs.

Oh my. A very dark but comic memoir of a young boy's unconventional upbringing. Basically, when he was 13 his mother sent him off to live with her shrink. He lives in this house, that is pretty much a free for all, where the kids can choose their parents, do what they want, smoke, drink, chomp on valium etc. He has an affair with a pedophile (an 'another 'apoted son' of the Dr), twice his age who lives in the shed. One of the daughters' toddler son, walks around the house sh itting freely while the dog licks his balls. All the while huge family blow-outs are actively encouraged and everyone slags each other using freudian terminology. It is sort of a wild free form therapy to help eveyone develop to new emotional levels. Goddamn its hilarious. Imagine The Roal Tannebaums with psycotherapy, peversion, nudity, fecal obsessions, open marriages....

Smithgrind passed this on to me. I'm wondering why....

Think it opens at theatres this weekend. Wonder how much of it will be "hollywoodized"? (The scenes make A look older than 13.....)
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Spider » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 pm

just starting: joyce carol oates - blonde.
highly recommended by my swedish literature critic friend.
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby nm » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:30 pm

So jealous.........she's one of my favorite authors. ....going on the list...
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Spider » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:32 pm

you can borrow it when i am done.
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Dano » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:43 pm

gazsurf wrote:Just finished "Can't you get along with anyone?" Allan Weisbecker's newest......you have to be a fan of his to get through this one I'm afraid. Good writer but this one details a bad realationship in all it's details. Wish he had just stayed with the Pavone's story it at least had more going for it.

I only got about 3/4 through Captain Zero before I just had enough of his self congratulatory style. Are you saying I prob. won't like this one?
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Gazsurf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:59 pm

That's a yes Dano, I liked Zero but you're not the first person to tell me that his (AW's) ego stopped them from finishing that book.

Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby redliner » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:39 am

I dig it.
His new book has some funny points- and some interesting call outs.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby thurgood jenkins » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Fnished readnig Deception Point by Dan Brown (I know I was desperate for a book) like all of his other books it's full of sensationalism exagerated facts and plotline holes. Other wise it's not too bad, if you like mindless constant action... It's kind of like the Jerry Bruckheimer of paper back.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby 2tone » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:44 pm

gazsurf wrote:Just finished "Can't you get along with anyone?" Allan Weisbecker's newest......you have to be a fan of his to get through this one I'm afraid. Good writer but this one details a bad realationship in all it's details. Wish he had just stayed with the Pavone's story it at least had more going for it.

I'm currently reading cosmic banditos and so far it's okay..
I kindda liked captain zero.

… but I honestly think that the guy has gone nuts… seriously….

thurgood jenkins wrote:Fnished readnig Deception Point by Dan Brown (I know I was desperate for a book) like all of his other books it's full of sensationalism exagerated facts and plotline holes. Other wise it's not too bad, if you like mindless constant action... It's kind of like the Jerry Bruckheimer of paper back.

I love Dan Brown… Don’t even be dissin him.. Read all his books and loved them..They are mindless constant action but sometimes, that stuff is enjoyable… oh well, I love you too so I guess you can diss Brown… I’ll let that one go…
2tone

Postby Gazsurf » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:08 pm

2tone wrote:… but I honestly think that the guy has gone nuts… seriously….

He might agree with you depending on what kind of day he's had..............

Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Johnny Rad » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:49 pm

"Among The Thugs" by Bill Buford
a right tale of footie 'ooliganism.' seaside point? lunada bay? da hui? bollox!

who are we? jaaaackkkk arrmmmy oi oi oi!!!!
Johnny Rad

Postby Ceedog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:08 am

It's amazing, it takes me longer to read Johnny's words than it does for me to type.

I finally settled on one book, 1984. Nice to go back to fiction after reading 'Tradegy and Hope' and 'Dark Alliance'.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Down The Line » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:42 am

Wise Blood. Amazing, Southern Gothic
triple hopped .
Down The Line
my board is in drydock

Postby nm » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:42 am

Finished Dry...A memoire. by Augusten Burroughs .....very good. The kind of book you want to re-read

Started Weisbecker's "Can't you get along with anyone?" Not even two chapters in.......and I want to puke. Pretty sure this book is going to be pitched through my sliding glass door.......before I get a third of the way through it. :lol:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

PreviousNext

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)