Change font size   Print view

Surfing Oregon Late August

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Surfing Oregon Late August

Postby SpaceFunk » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 am

Hey everybody. I'm from Florida and i'm gonna be in oregon to visit friends in portland around labor day weekend. I plan on surfing at least a day or two and maybe camping out at a certain state park on the coast but i've heard of these upwelling things that make the water way colder than the forecast says. Any truth to this? MSW and the like say water temp is only low 60s. Also any opinions on rentals from Gorge Performance?

Thanks!
SpaceFunk
Mermaided

Re: Surfing Oregon Late August

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am

Yo Space I've seen a ton of Fla plates in Portland recently, at least one or more everyday. Seems to be some sort of migration happening?

Anyways water will prob be in the high 50's, although it has been warmer than usual. If I was going to choose one suit, it would be a 5 mill although you can sometimes get away with a 4 mill and no hood. 5 mill booties are pretty standard.

Gorge would be a perfectly fine place to rent a board and I believe they should have an assortment of demos. Not sure if they rent longboards or what your looking for, but a fishey shape would be a safe bet if you want a shortboard. Guessing they probably have some if the Lib Tech X Losts to demo and if they do Round Nose fish is what I would grab.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
I post better than I surf

Postby SpaceFunk » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks for the reply Major!

5 mill is definitely thicker than skinnin it or 3/2 suit for when the temp dips down in FL, but I imagine it'll be worth it in the long run. I wanna surf Outer Banks this winter and 5 mill is definitely appropriate for that.

Also thanks for the rec on a board. I ride a shortboard/fish hybrid most of the time because of the typically mushy conditions in Jax Beach. :lol:

Unfortunately MSW is saying that when ill be in town, wed-sat next week, isn't lookin too great swell wise. Praying that'll change.
SpaceFunk
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am

No way Jax Beach! Did 2 years at JU and lived in Jax Beach a long long time ago like when Nirvana was just becoming a thing. Had some great sessions at Mayport Poles and some of the other local spots. The Halloween 91 swell was legendary and easily the best surf I have ever seen in Fla. And yes 3 mill winters were a treat coming from the NE.

Unfortunately forecast looks micro, but may find some waves to longboard. Maybe Spent will share his top secret longdonging spots? It rarely goes totally flat here, but can be shapeless junk. Should be able to rent a wetsuit very easily. Otherwise there are lots of other things to do at the coast like hiking.
Major Lazer

Postby SpaceFunk » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:57 am

Woah that's crazy man, small world. I did seven years at UNF haha. The poles are great though, hoping to grab an annual pass to hanna park to get in there early this fall.

I was 2 years away from being born but i'll see if i can find some footage of that swell. Saw some from hurricane charlie at the poles back in '04 on a local forecast page the other day that looked unreal.

But yeah the first day i'll be able to get out there will be thursday so i'll check a cam and if it looks good, rent some gear and get out there. Otherwise check out the city with my friends and definitely do some hiking.

...and if spent wants to share that spot i certainly wouldn't mind. 8)
SpaceFunk
Mermaided

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm

On the plus side, we get skunked here all the time, so at least you'll have an authentic Oregon experience. Good luck on your trip tho-- you're bound find something if you look (and log).
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:57 am

Yeah man have a good trip out here. Let us know what you think of ORCal. :D
Major Lazer

Postby SpaceFunk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am

Haha guess i gotta be grateful for the authentic experience. No worries though, we've had decent waves the last few days down here so i suppose that makes up for it.

Thanks again fellas, i'll be on the lookout for loggable waves and for sure post an update after i get back, might run into one of ya'll and not even know it.
SpaceFunk
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Looks like ya might be dodging a bullet and/or missing some waves. M is for Major.

Major Lazer

Postby SpaceFunk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 am

Yeah so unfortunately no surfing, although i went to cape lookout on Thursday and probably could've logged it but ended up hiking the trails with friends instead. The water was very cold, i went in the surf without a wetsuit and got out in about 2 minutes haha.

Thanks for the forecast major. I almost stayed another day or two but Dorian shifted and started going more northeast. Now i'm back in Florida and at work, if i'm lucky ill get off early and catch some hurricane swell.

Thanks again for the advice here guys, enjoy the incoming swell. If i'm ever back in town i'll let ya'll know!
SpaceFunk
Mermaided

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Nice. Glad you guys did not get a direct hit.

Say Hi to Jax Beach. I miss that place.
Major Lazer

Return to Road Trips