Change font size   Print view

Should we go North or South for September?

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Should we go North or South

Poll ended at Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:17 pm

North
7%
South
43%
Stay in Oregon
No votes
I'm a Wanker
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby Dub Star » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Do you always grab when you drop in?

BTW I noticed you blurred out your license plate in that one shot. Reminds me of someone else here who wasn't quite that smart when they published a controversial article on a little PNW secret : )
Dub Star

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Wizards was one of those 'to big to paddle into sitches,' so we just went on a pleasant stroll.
I pretty much always grab on rights and thats mostly what we got. It slows me down often and/or messes up my line and the only time I manage not grabbing is if I go straight down the face on wedgy or point types where you can go around the corner. I'm definitely trying to figure out a better way to pop up on bs waves but it's kind of a comfort zone thing I'm trying to overcome.

Our itinerary was Crater lake, Klamath, Santa Cruz (We made it as far South as Mosses Landing that wasn't working), then Pacifica (Skatepark and surfed Lindamar head and half across the street) Bodega Bay Campground was beautiful, a few places in Humboldt (the stereotypes are true!) where we spent some time and camped in a redwood forest, stopped in Crescent but there was a bad vibe so we booked it up to Southern Oregon and got some fickle waves and solid skating in at Brookings and Reedsport (In my top 5), checked out the progress in Coos at their gem of a future park. Then the Sealion Caves were kinda cool and we ended it at Gasses home where we got the only stinkeye of the trip I buried my nose in the sand and it broke, Soem family stuff came up so we cut it short there. Most of the trip was an extreme north swell 11'@8s and a generally howling N wind 24/7 after Humboldt . Fortunately we found a lot of places that cleaned it up and was often mysteriously offshore.

Can't wait to skate the tron. They have really bright lights 'til ten I think.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby bluesilver » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Appreciate the pics. Good stuff
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby jerichv » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 pm

nice trip guys. thanx for sharing also.
Humboldt has a great vibe and hardly
any crowd. generouse smokers where
Wanty and i scored some
fun waves around where you guys
were at this time last year.
:D
say it!
jerichv
"wall of fiberglass" refugee

Postby Dub Star » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Ummmmmm you guys missed the token shot.

Dub Star

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 pm

No way, we got that shot with a posse 12 deep of oriental gangstas and their tricked out mufflerless rice burners that coincidentally were there also.
We also visited the drive thru tree. Sorry, no more pics, I spent all my uploading motivation yesterday.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Dub Star » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks man thanks, the pics are good. Made me lok through all mine.

Hope you didnt miss this SoO Dreamland nugget thou. Looks like you were in the vicinity.

Dubtown Rock
Dub Star

Postby Neck Deep » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:04 pm

What time were you in the cradle?
Neck Deep

Postby escondido_vida » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:52 pm

YAy fun pics! it was a really fun trip. Best part was the one south spot with the big wedging lefts and the deep rights, the locs were stoked so were we...no pics of those but it was great got those stored in the ol' memory bank. Also Willits, heart of mendocino, was sick! dropped into 10 ft vert, freaking felt like flying, my heart was in my mouth over and over.....also it was almost 100 degrees out so the crowds were at a minimum...

Loved Humbolt so much!

Also met some nice kids at Klamath Falls skate park and they told us that since we were from portland we didn't have to pay the 1$ fee, heheh. At the end of the trip we ended up seeing two of those boys at Reedsport skate park, their parents had decided to take them on a road trip before school started! That was really cool. Also in Santa Cruz the first person I saw in the water was someone we had met recently surfing up in Oregon and had camped with here. Small world.

My favorite skatepark was probably Pacifica becuase of the huge cradle that you can generate tons of speed to be whipped around in, "just like ridding a cloud" as my friend always says. Also the town was super chill for surfing and scored awesome waves. There was a chick out too and she was catching some awesome waves, that stoked me even more.

.....all in all it was a really great adventure!
escondido_vida
Am I addicted to this?

Previous

Return to Road Trips