Change font size   Print view

California Surf Report

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Nah I was listening to some bio during the off hours on some radio station ( if that doesn't count for credible then what does?) a while back. They were saying how he was a couch/ surf bum living it up in socal during his twenties until he decided to get serious (like trained doing push ups with Billy Blanks) and pursue a career in music. Then they cut out to a live concert with Slater as lead guitarist where he introduced him as the guy whom got him into the biggest waves of his life. After which he proceeded to play a crappy song called "big wave". I can't believe I remember that. That memory is probably taking the place of something worth remembering.

That doesn't prove he's any good but it dates him to beginning well before Y2k.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Dub Star » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Interesting.

I know he'd surfed before Y2K, but didn't think he was serious about it like so many down there who have an old board laying around and just surf cause the beach is thier back yard. It seemed all of the sudden he was back at it again, but acually serious this time right around the big surf boom of 2000. Hanging with Slats and appearing in surf films. Think Shelter is where I remember seeing him surf? Cant remember exactly thou. Maybe that was Ben Harpon a whale Harper? I just remember he wasn't that good. Maybe a little better than McConaughey (sp) but at least he was shortboarding.

Trurly the guy prob gets more wave time than I do these days and may have improved while I have lost it for the most part. 4 weeks dry tomorow and I am wondering if I will even be able to make a drop.
Dub Star

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

There's no impetus for improvement better than not making a drop.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Doc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:41 pm

What worse?

Surfers that wannabe Singers?

Or Singers that wannabe Surfers?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Dub Star » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Surfers that sing, cause we sure as hell dont need any more surfers.
Dub Star

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Dick Dale, Zappa (sorta counts), Ventures et al are all right but it's been a long long time since surf culture has produced any thing groundbreaking ala Staler, Machado http://music.msn.com/music/album/surfers/songs-from-the-pipe/ in my opinion.

What other singer besides Eddie surfs? The only celebrity I've ever heard of that was any good was Heath Ledger.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Snow2Sea » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Pretty stoked to be surfing with the Santa Ana's blowin' in my face to the tune of 70-80*F this weekend and some decent swell hitting the shore..
Boardriding is about timing and style...It’s youthful, active, casual, and free flowing. There is no wrong way to ride a board. The goal is simply to learn, progress, improve, and give it your own interpretation.
Snow2Sea
I've wax combed my pubes

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:54 pm

pra_ggresion wrote:What other singer besides Eddie surfs? The only celebrity I've ever heard of that was any good was Heath Ledger.

Perry Farrell, Chris Issak...that's all I can think of

Doc
Doc

Postby Dub Star » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:23 pm

pra_ggresion wrote:Dick Dale, Zappa (sorta counts), Ventures et al are all right but it's been a long long time since surf culture has produced any thing groundbreaking ala Staler, Machado http://music.msn.com/music/album/surfers/songs-from-the-pipe/ in my opinion.

What other singer besides Eddie surfs? The only celebrity I've ever heard of that was any good was Heath Ledger.

Sublime. And Bradley Nowell being the lead singer surfed, worthy but dead now.

Incubus claims to be surfers, not that I like thier stuff.

Ben Harper surfs or trys.

Jack Johnson offcourse.

His boy G Love too.

Mason Jennigns.

Issac Brock, Modest Mouse fame, was claming surfing recently. Nother johnny come latley though.

Anthoney Kedas? or maybe that was just in Point Break. But I know Flea surfs now and then and hangs in Mal Pais.

There are countless others. Many are Y2Kers like most of you fuks.
Dub Star

Postby Doc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 am

You are pretty tied into timelines Dub.

I stood up on a board circa 1966.

What's the difference?

Just wondering.

Doc
Doc

Postby Dub Star » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Doc wrote:You are pretty tied into timelines Dub.

I stood up on a board circa 1966.

What's the difference?

Just wondering.

Doc

Just talking smack really as I have several friends who started surfing after Y2K. And I know many here have as well. U should know I'm 65.375% BS here.

But there was an obvious boom around the time. Noticed all these dot comies were taking it up in the Bay Area as it seemed to be the new cool thing to do. Heard plenty of old dogs griping. At many spots in towns like Santa Cruz locals were no longer locals anymore due to the influx. Not that I have really ever been a local anywhere, sota but not really. Look at King, he just showed up outta nowhere and paddled right out at one of the best peaks at the Lane (not that he hasnet been around the block).

Times have changed. New surfers these days don't often deal with same situations others may have in the past like rights of passage and cracking a pecking order at a particular spot. There have been several articles recently on this topic in popular surf publications, see TSJ a few issues back.

But all and all glad to see everyone having fun and more women in the line up, esp up here. It's nice to live in a place where it's fairly easy to get away from the crowds when the surf does cooperate. No need for a valley kook like me who gets limited water time to complain about crowds.

Make sense? Still wondering?
Dub Star

Cali-Baby!

Postby Bones » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:16 pm

Dubbie!---- You are the Man! Is there anyway we could convince you to stay in your home state of Cali?
Bones
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Snow2Sea » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Top secret unknown spot off of La Jolla Farms Rd. Warm air. Cold water. Super shifty tides. Shared each wave with 18 other surfers. Sucked.
Boardriding is about timing and style...It’s youthful, active, casual, and free flowing. There is no wrong way to ride a board. The goal is simply to learn, progress, improve, and give it your own interpretation.
Snow2Sea
I've wax combed my pubes

Postby lappis89 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 am

I don't even bother on the weekends down here anymore.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Especially when the swell doesn't get above chest high for a significant period of time.

Hope on the horizon.....( a weekend unfortunently.......)
"We'll get him when he comes back in!" . . . .
"He's not coming back."
lappis89
Am I addicted to this?

Postby King of El Cariso » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:17 am

Been back in gbo for the last 48 hrs or so, got some nice pb the other night... The sun looks like it fallowed me home... Going to hit a spot in about 30mins.... It was good to spend about 3 weeks down south, forsure sc was the beat time for me, the place was going off and big surf and crowds were fine, I got what I needed... Glad to be back to where the waters realy cold....
King of El Cariso

PreviousNext

Return to Road Trips