Change font size   Print view

Humboldt Coast Camping?

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Humboldt Coast Camping?

Postby fixyello » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 am

curious if anyone has found any good pull off camping in the Eureka/Trinidad stretch or not too far from the beach. I am familiar with the state park/national park camping in the area but they are getting $35 + res fees for a tent site these days. Most land in the area is either private, state park or Redwood National park. will be in a van, so hoping to just pull off and squat on public land somewhere.

not looking for anyone to give up a secret camping spot or anything, but sometimes there are primitive campgrounds that are not on maps.
fixyello
Mermaided

Re: Humboldt Coast Camping?

Postby smithgrind » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:51 pm

There is a county park with nice camping at big lagoon (i think...it's one of the lagoons). Reasonable rates, great location...keep it low key.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby fixyello » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:21 pm

thanks smithgrind

i was checking the county parks as well. might be the best call for $. a couple boat launches on the bay in Eureka i plan to check out. will let you know if i find a better alternative
fixyello
Mermaided

Postby pra_ggresion » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:04 pm

hang out at the beach til it gets dark. go to a suburb and pass out. Get early morning session. repeat but in different suburb.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby fixyello » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 am

no good camping finds to report on. shoulda gone with pragression's route and slept on a random street in arcata.
instead we snagged the last spot in the samoa boat ramp. county park for $18, but basically a crowded, concrete parking lot filled with RVs for quad riding on the spit. also think the county park on the lagoon would have been better, but we were trying to stay as close to westhaven as we could. burned way too much gas down there as it was
fixyello
Mermaided

Return to Road Trips