Change font size   Print view

Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm

So there is a slim possibility that we could hit up the Galapagos on our trip to Ecuador and Peru. I was wondering if anyone has been and could tell me about their experience. I'm wondering if it might be easier to show up and hitch rides as opposed to getting a package deal. I'm having difficulty getting a straight answer from tour guides.

What are the prices and variety of used boards of mainland Ecuador like. Canoa and Montanita seem like the best bet for used boards; what about Atacames or Quito?

How would you deal with traveling with a board by bus? I was thinking of covering them with cardboard boxes and getting out each time it stops to make sure no one messes with it, but that would seriously suck so if you have a better idea I would like to know.

Has anyone traveled around Central Peru where Chicamas et al are? I understand it is a bit of a frontier like Baja with all the corresponding threats. How did you deal with that as far as getting to waves, leaving your stuff while in the water and finding safe places to stay?
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Re: Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru

Postby Spent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Quito
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:50 am

Que es?
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Quad Head » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am

Bring you boards if you can. Sucks to ride shitt board or boards you’re not used to on a sick trip.

If you don't at least bring a day bag for the buses, forget about cardboard unless your break dancing. Rode buses with at least 2-3 boards all over Central America. Those dudes just throw you bag under the bus, literally.

You could also order a board from a local shaper ahead of time and have a freshy waiting? Ecuador is a good source for balsa blanks. As for the surf hear Ecuador’s a bit fickle compared to Peru. Buddy was just in Lima area and said it was epic. To many lefts for my blood though.

Buenos suerte.
Quad Head

Postby losingtoday » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Dunno about that particular area but my experiences with boards on a bus have been similar to quad's. Best thing to do is to refuse to give them the board and put it in the cargo area yourself, after everyone else has put their stuff in. Also, daybag is a minimum.

Sounds like a sweet trip, definitely worth having your own board(s).
losingtoday
shorepounder

Postby pra_ggresion » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:03 pm

As for the surf hear Ecuador’s a bit fickle compared to Peru. Buddy was just in Lima area and said it was epic.

Yeah we're trying to hit up some north facing areas until the south's start rolling in nearer June. By then we should be south of Cabo Blanco. We're both goofy. Speaking of goofy; apparently a major problem at Chicama right now is a surf resort offering boat rides back out to the main take off area. They sit in the boat until a set comes so they don't have to paddle against the current. Seems completely contrary to all that is surfing as I understand it.

So the consensus is to just get a board bag for bus travel and load it myself. Airlines charge more than it would cost to get a brand new custom deck. I can't do that out of principle. I don't mind riding janky boards and we've got some time to be picky. Besides three janky boards for the price of bringing one.

What did you guys do when you didn't have a place to leave your stuff while out surfing?
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Jacob » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am

In regards to Chicama, there are a couple of places to stay (hotels) out on the point where it is safe to leave your belongings while surfing. However, I prefered to stay in Pacasamayo, about an hour away, and take a taxi to Chicama when it was breaking. The wave at Pacasamayo, El Faro, is exceptional and picks up much more swell than Chicama. When El Faro is too big to surf then Chicama turns on. The town of Pacasamayo is a traditional Peruvian community, which I found very enjoyable durring my stays there. The food was incredible, the accomodations comfortable and the people friendly.
Jacob
I do it Beavertail style

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks, that's some really good to know information.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby escondido_vida » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 pm

7 days.....but really, who's counting.....

:D :D
escondido_vida
Am I addicted to this?

Postby nm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 am

escondido_vida wrote:7 days.....but really, who's counting.....

:D :D

so jealous...! have fun you two! (& be safe) :D
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby escondido_vida » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:00 am

we'll get set up, then you come on down :D Safety first!
escondido_vida
Am I addicted to this?

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm

And we're off. Looks like this will be bangbuster season here, hope you all get some.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Gazsurf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Have a great time post up some pics............. :D
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Return to Road Trips