Change font size   Print view

Scorpion Bay

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Scorpion Bay

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Any of you cats ever venture there?

Been reaming of that place for a while now....may need to make the trip...
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Re: Scorpion Bay

Postby Doc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:53 am

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Been reaming

Uhhh...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby wanty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:31 pm

been also dreaming of that place for several years. almost pulled the trigger a while back but it never happened.

Where you thinking of renting a rig in SoCal?
wanty
Site Admin

Postby scubetubeular » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 pm

There are much better bay's and way less crowded ones once you down there.
If your going to try and rent a car in SoCal and drive it in to Mex I wish you much luck.
They wont allow it anymore. However, rules are meant to be broken.
scubetubeular
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Was thinking maybe fly into Loreto and rent a rig there. It's a 3 hour or so run from there to SB....or other locales I suppose...

When is the best time to go there? Seeing how it takes a large southy to work it...seems chubasco season would be the way to go....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby MC » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:33 pm

scored it last september for the first and last time.

i'll never go back. if you like insanely crowded surf and can tolerate a lineup with ZERO etiquette, then, by all means, go get some.

however, the wave is insane, even if it takes you an hour -- or more -- to snag a set wave.

and three hours from loreto? that must be some good mexican speed you'll be on, wilbs. i'd plan for a few extra hours. when i drove in last year, however, they were working on what's supposed to become a 4 lane (two lanes south, to lanes north) highway. maybe that's done.

all in all, a phenomenal wave, but very crowded and a middle-aged gringo lady with a 10' longboard will paddle deeper than you every time because she's a "local".

not trying to be a negative nancy, but there's spots in baja i'd rather be.

best of luck to you. again, it is a phenomenal wave!
60% of the time, it works every time.
MC
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Critter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Been twice. First time in, we approached over the mountains outa the east. spent 1.5 hours collecting rocks to fill in a ravine in the road and another hour to strip an extention cord and wire the exhaust back together in our full size van. We camped and surfed for 2 weeks with an average of 10 other travellers. It was small but sickenly long wave. The rumors are true. Scorning the path most travelled we left on the north road<----LIES with a full tank and two full 5 gal cans...
many, many, many hours later we found the road. About 14 hours of salt marsh, salt flats, salt crusted mud, and washboard big enough to surf. Vans entire exhaust was long gone somewhere in a ditch. 3 of 4 shocks were blown up and hanging in ruin from the frame. We were on the last reserve can of fuel. This was in April.
Our next trip in we approached on the south road and left on the south road. Longer distance but much less time. Although primitive I much preferred "The Wall."
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Return to Road Trips