Change font size   Print view

going to Maui

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Re: going to Maui

Postby speelyei » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:44 pm

aloha children. I can't say it's good to be back, but alas, here I am.
well, the surfin' was a big zero. The trade winds were howling every day and the entire south side was white caps and ankle slappers. I went out a handful of times, but never got anything over knee high, although I did get a lot of those. A lot of other people were in the water and they seemed to be having a good time, locals and tourists alike.
I suppose if I had schlepped my way around the island I could have found some surf somewhere, but I didn't want to ditch my wife with the kids and disappear all day. I surfed a 10' south point pop-out that was dinged and repaired, a used rental board my folks bought a few years ago. I re-waxed it and shoved the fin all the way forward, and ook the leash off. It was fine. The last wave I caught broke over coral, but I rode it into a big sandy section of beach, and just before the fin hit the sand, I stepped off into about 6" of water. I managed to step onto the only chunk of coral in the sand and tore the entire pad off the bottom of my big toe. Beer, a razorblade, a toothbrush (for debriding), some peroxide and band-aids later, I was squared away.
Snorkeling was great of course, and I hit a lot of spots between Lahaina and LaPerouse. The highlight was Mala Pier, a collapsed concrete pier that I later dove. Tons of fish and coral, and all sorts of stuff to check out. I'd call it PG-13 snorkeling, what with the bent and twisted rebar and stuff everywhere, especially if you go under the remaining pier.
I also did a few dives, all of which were great. I ponied up the bucks to do a boat dive at "Second Cathedral" at Lanai, and a smaller pinnacle in the same vicinity. I also dove Mala Pier, which was really fun. Saw eels, a white tip reef shark, lobster, tons of fish, and tried out our new GoPro camera.
We walked up and down Lahaina, hiked through the lava to some hidden beaches, took in a Luau, spent lots of time with the girls on the beach, and saw 'Ulelena, sort of a Hawaiian opera/performance. Ate out at a bunch of cool restaurants, killed half a bottle of Sailor Jerry, got the girls some henna "tattoos", generally had a great time.
The only bummer was coming back.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Critter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Awesome :mrgreen: Hope you stored enough rays to get you throught the Oregon winter!
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Postby speelyei » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:28 pm

thanks, critter!

oh yeah, the answer to the leg rash...

Shave. Anyplace you've got leg rash, shave with a bic. Then lather up that area with sunscreen before you go out. Also, if you just scrape the wax from the edges of the board where your legs rub, that helps a lot too.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Dano » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:46 pm

wow...wish I logged in here sometime in the past few months so I could have hooked you up a bit when you were there.

Glad you had fun! Hope all is well!

Aloha!
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby smithgrind » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Just got back last night.

Tanned, rested and depressed.

Got a fun day surfing Pavills at Ho'okipa and the next day at Honolua Bay....such a beautiful wave. Just a handful of those rights more than made up for all the hours on the plane.

Maui No Ka Oi...
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby wanty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 am

need tips. i'll be here in april-may. i need a friendly longboard wave (as you all know, i do not charge). points are ideal. i'll have a rental car and hopefully find a good deal on a longboard and kook-racks.

thanks
wanty
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Road Trips