Change font size   Print view

Mex in Dec.

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Mex in Dec.

Postby smithgrind » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm considering a week in Mex in the middle of December. Mainland, Baja? I haven't been there in the winter yet...
smithgrind
greystoke

Re: Mex in Dec.

Postby coalbank » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:19 pm

been to mainland in late nov, early dec. troncones, la salidita, the ranch and nexpa all had solid waves. flew into zihua through la on alaska. guy bled out from a shark bite in troncones a few years ago. lesson seemed to be, don't wait for an ambulance in mexico. sorry, was that too grim?
http://www.swellmagnet.com/surf_reports ... ategory=38
that's the view from my mother in-law's kitchen...
coalbank
Mermaided

Postby harg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Most of baja can fire that time of year, just depends how mobile you are and what your taste for adventure is. If you're looking for a relatively peaceful environment, you could easily spend a week in todos santos, which is about an hour north of cabo. It's a relatively nice town with really friendly people (may want a second source on that actually, the last time i was there was 10yrs ago) and there are a few really fun waves with short drives out of town, and at least one really high quality point within a few hours. You could spend a lot of time up north too, where there's everything from heaving beachies to clean points within a few hours. but top quality spots can be crowded and it's not exactly a clean and friendly environment. In between, there's tons of surf, but you need to bring your own food, water, and gas.
harg
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Tex » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm

SG...how in the eff are you traveling so damn much!?!?!?!
Seriously what is the secret? Are you hiring?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby smithgrind » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:13 pm

If I have vacation time I leave town. Thanks for the input, but I'm gonna follow speelyi and head back to Maui in Dec.
smithgrind
greystoke

Return to Road Trips