Change font size   Print view

8 days o' freedom

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

8 days o' freedom

Postby Bubalus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:43 pm

The chance for temporary freedom comes my way in March... no wife, no kids, no work for 8+ days of whatever the fuk I wanna do.

I am thinking about everything from a surgical mainland Mex. strike to a Zion vision quest to a Canadian shiver fest... I can always join the fam in Hawaii but I am feeling the need for some adventure.

If you had the same opportunity what would you do?
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Re: 8 days o' freedom

Postby MC » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 pm

march is tough.

combo swell at the northern baja beachies?

early south in mex?

usually always something going on in HI still around that time.

adventure? there's always that stretch of coast in CA that is hike in only.

you know what it's like around here in march, so, depending on the winds and swell, going north probably isn't the best bet.

if it was up to me, and i had the time and money, i'd say the caribbean, france, peru or nz. but for 8+ days, those are probably all out of the question.
60% of the time, it works every time.
MC
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Critter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Fly into cabo rent a car and go north you will find waves....OH YES.....you will.
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Bubalus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Caribbean I had not considered but looking a bit spendy. I have to spend less than it would cost me to go to HI or I won't be able to justify the trip to fam (I know, but that's just the reality of my life). France, NZ, Peru same situation and not really enough time. HI is always great but looking to do something new...

Cabo is a good option, my uncle has an empty condo there that I can use, airfare's not cheap though.

I was stoked on heading to Haida Gwaii but looks like too long a drive for cold rainyness, Tofino still an option though as MC points out could be grim in March.

If conditions are favorable here probably post up at the microtel but still dreaming big, any other ideas?
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Critter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 am

Been to HI once, but all my other surf trips have been road trips up north into Canadia, and down south to Baja. If I was in your shoes I would MAKE a cheap enough situation happen to get myself down south for Fish tacos in Todos Santos. Then again Im not going to check out airfares so I may be smoking crack I really dont know.
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Postby MC » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 pm

you can be cold all year round up here and to the north. i do understand though. i'm prefer the cold. but, with that said, if you have a free place to stay, i'd go cabo for sure. if there's a south, you're stoked, and if there's a W/WNW/NW, you can pop up to todos or even a few spots north of there (south of todos too if you know where to look). seems like a no brainer to me.

or, fly into san diego and go surf the northern baja spots. just leave all of your stuff in the hotel. only take a wetsuit, towel and surfboard with you and you'll be fine. some really good, empty, waves just over the border if you're keen.
60% of the time, it works every time.
MC
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby stinky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 am

Guam, If you go this direction let me know.
"American public opinion is like an ocean, it cannot be stirred by a teaspoon."
stinky
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Bubalus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Guam! Been trying to get there for years...almost pulled it off for honeymoon but ended up on Big Island instead. My wife is from HI and has always resisted my efforts to go to Guam one of these years though...

At this point leaning heavily towards MC's suggestion of a Cali "walk in" spot. Then I could bring my dog.
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Bubalus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 am

Not that anyone cares, or even reads this stuff anymore but, after making arrangements and even buying some new gear for a week of camping on the beach in norcal, I've called off the trip.

The recent conditions have been grim but I'm glutton for punishment and was not deterred and was committed to going come hell or high surf advisories. Last session out however I went on the wrong wave. I was way too late and way too deep but went anyway. Made the drop and the lip landed on my back. Couldn't get my feet off the deck in time, got compressed and crunched down onto the board, knee bent then bent more then popped. Torn MCL.

So instead of a badly needed escape, I'll be rehabbing the knee with a bottle in my hand :cry:
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby the dude » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Damn. Speedy recovery to you.
the dude
I do it Beavertail style

Postby SooLoo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Surf injuries are always a good story I got whiplash a few weeks back. Wish you a speedy recovery you ain't missing anything over here. Well.... except warm weather and water but surf not very good outside of this morning before the wind
SooLoo

Postby Bubalus » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:35 am

http://www.dailysurfvideos.com/videos/s ... ection-152

Sooloo, you get hailed on? Any spout spotting?
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Doc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm

My arm is sore from drinking.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Return to Road Trips