Change font size   Print view

Is living worth it?

Going on a surf trip? Just been on a trip? Need a travel buddy? Use this board to ask for travel advice, share stories...anything related to surf travel. Please remember, if you scored no one cares. If things went terribly wrong, this is far more interesting. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, brdsurf

Is it worth it?

Yes
59%
No
9%
There are no waves in life
18%
I wouldn't know - never been there
14%

Total votes : 22

Postby holddown » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:34 pm

edit:
Nevermind, it sucks, go to Indian instead.
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Dano » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 am

Hawaii is worth it if you like:

- racist mokes who love to pound on haoles from Oregon for simple infractions like dressing like a j.o.j. haole or listening to the wrong music

- way over priced everything in every way (especially food, gas and real estate/hotel costs)

- huge dangerous surf that is more often blown out than not and breaking over sharp, brutally shallow reefs with spiny sea urchins and huge razor toothed eels

- 15-20 foot Tiger sharks who's demeanor makes Whitey look like a teddy bear

- hot, humid, sticky, borderline unbearable climate

- daily drenching rain and nuking wind ruining most beach days

- 12 inch centipedes, spiders as big as a baseball and flying cockroaches everywhere you look (they esp. love to hide in beds)

- traffic, traffic, traffic and more fuhking traffic

- utterly unintelligible slang that sounds more like chickens squaking than an actual language

- did i mention racist mokes who love to pound on haoles from Oregon (especially the veeegans!)

Does that sound like fun? I didn't think so. Stick with Mexico. Its WAY better. Hawaii sucks.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby nm » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 am

Dano wrote: Stick with Mexico. Its WAY better. Hawaii sucks.

Yeah......Hawaii sucks. So does Maui.

In fact.....Maui sucks most of all.

Especially when some complete stranger.....a racist moke..... hands you a cervesa after you've paddled in from a two hour session in the hot sun.

But hey........that's just my take on the place. :lol:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Dano » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am

nmm wrote:
Dano wrote: Stick with Mexico. Its WAY better. Hawaii sucks.

Yeah......Hawaii sucks. So does Maui.

In fact.....Maui sucks most of all.

Especially when some complete stranger.....a racist moke..... hands you a cervesa after you've paddled in from a two hour session in the hot sun.

But hey........that's just my take on the place. :lol:

Hey nmmm.. I grew up on Maui, and believe me when I tell you. it SUCKS! That racist moke was just luring you in so he could drive you to the airport and send you straight home like they usually do when they catch haoles paddling in after a 2 hour surf session at one of their super dangerous, shark infested breaks. Didn't you know that Aloha means goodbye?

Mexico is so much sweeter. The people are WAY nicer too.
Last edited by Dano on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
humbled!
Dano

Postby Dano » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:25 am

The thing about Hawaii is that the local people just want to use you for your tourist dollars.

Come Come Come - Don't forget to go Home!

Do you really want to be used like that?

Hawaii sucks!
humbled!
Dano

Postby nm » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 am

Aaaaaahhhh.........Dano. Ya big moke. :wink:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Ceedog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:30 am

Thanks Dano, you just helped me make my mind up. We'll be following Everett's tracks next month.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby smithgrind » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:38 pm

Better question Kookmeyer....Are you worth it?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby fossilgrom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:59 am

Been to Hawaii many times and will always love it there. I have never really surfed there though. The last couple times we went there was a definite feeling of being shuffled through on the tourist conveyor - welcome, now leave your money and get out.

As a surf destination I'm not so sure. The waves are great but so is the attitude towards outsiders. I would love to go to surf. Maybe if I knew a local to surf with and introduce me to the breaks. Being a light skinned, light haired, blue eyed kook I'm sure to encounter BS in the lineup and I don't care how good the waves are, if you're getting vibed constantly it ain't worth it.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby Foul Pete » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Is Hawai'i worth it?
It is when Nasty blows bubbles up your arse.
Foul Pete
duck diving fool

Postby smithgrind » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Oh my goodness!....my gluts are still trembling from the memories.

That was a special day at the pools, that is until the land whales showed
up and we had to locate our shedded speedos. :wink:
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby gills » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:35 pm

I think I'll go sometime, and I respect the history for sure, but I think I might rather read about it-- or, if I got an assignment there, I'd go for sure. Seriously, I'm a 250 pound white man from Minnesota originally, what 'connection' am I going to really have? Besides, Peruvians invented surfing, Cook just exploited it in his memoirs..... :lol:

but straight up I spent 20 days in Costa Rica walking to the waves, eating well, drinking well with a kick azz house in the jungle for $1250 including airfare (didn't need a rental car) and bringing two boards. And uncrowded lineups-- sure there were people, but I surfed as much as I physically was able and never had a run in with anyone. I don't know but when I think of warm places to go surf, I like third world for sure--- if you're not looking for lots of 'other stuff' to do besides read drink beer and surf, I'd go third world everytime. I spend a month in Nicaragua for $800 including airfare, though the waves weren't as good in CR.
gills

Postby Foul Pete » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:13 pm

gills wrote: Seriously, I'm a 250 pound white man from Minnesota originally, what 'connection' am I going to really have?

not much more/less than a pasty white 190 pound welshman.

in all sincerity, i'd go again at the drop of a hat. sure the line-up was challanging but its a different scene. the surfers were mostly competent and respectful and predictable. just go hard and deep and you'll get waves with a bit of paitence. and a hawaiin 3' is unlike any other 3' i've expereinced. i tend to agree that all surfers if they have the means should pay at least one visit to the islands.

i never thought i'd go but now i'm trying to work out how and when i'll be able to go back.
Foul Pete
duck diving fool

Postby Dano » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Foul Pete wrote:
i never thought i'd go but now i'm trying to work out how and when i'll be able to go back.

:D
humbled!
Dano

Postby Down The Line » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:41 pm

That looks like a Welshman with some really nasty gas.
triple hopped .
Down The Line
my board is in drydock

Previous

Return to Road Trips