Change font size   Print view

Let's get it on!

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Well?

Kill the bastards!
68%
No way!!
5%
Just tear the dams down....easy...
26%

Total votes : 19

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Just hope they don't unleash the unholy Beavark. No, No, No the horror!
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby gills » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:37 am

My biggest problem isn't from a moral or ethical standpoint regarding the killing of sea lions. It could be a an 'okay' wildlife management policy.

But here are the flaws:

There is no way to quantify if this will do anything to help salmon populations--- that news sources quote, "seals eat as much as 4% of the run in the Columbia" is retarded. How on earth do they arrive at this number? Are they asking Sea Lions how many fish they're eating? And this is one of many, many rivers with poor salmon runs.

More will come, always.

It is a distraction from the real problems--- dams and poor federal policy.

It sets a precedent for the temporary stay of protection of endangered species on the endangered species list, which essentially means, whenever industry is threatened we have the ability to nullify the endangered species act to help industry.
gills

Postby Spider » Sun May 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby wetchicken » Sun May 25, 2008 11:28 am

people don't waste time, i saw this yesterday on the coast on someones truck:

Save a salmon, eat a sealion
Did I mention that I'm doing your mom?
wetchicken
duck diving fool

Postby Ceedog » Sun May 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Sounds like an opportunity to open up a special hunt....

It just seems like a matter of time before some seal goes back and becomes a spot namer. Then they'll all show up on the weekends.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby wetchicken » Mon May 26, 2008 10:57 am

oldtimer salmon will swim around bitching to eachother in the pools below the ladder about how "the ladder used to be so safe back in the day man"
Did I mention that I'm doing your mom?
wetchicken
duck diving fool

Postby wawaverider » Sat May 31, 2008 8:18 pm

Pretty ridiculous that people are worried about saving a dozen sea lions whose population can rebound much easier than the salmons, than saving 10's of thousands of salmon. Doesn't seem like a large number think again. Back in the nineties they had a problem with a specific seal at the Ballard Locks in Seattle. They spent huge amounts of money (around $100,000) to get rid of this seal through measures other than killing it. Now it resides at Sea World. Totally crazy. It could've cost a couple of dollars in the form of a bullet and saved unmeasurable amounts of salmon. Some environmentalists are crazy and out of touch with reality!

Yeah, it sounds nice to get rid of the dams so don't turn on your lights at nice unless you get PGE green power (even then it really isn't green and only a percent comes from and goes towards so called green energy). That doesn't solve the problem at hand. The sea lions are taking advantage of an unnatural state (yeah we created it) we can't change for years (taking out the dams) but we can change this with a few bullets. The sea lions will recover as they already have, the salmon won't and probably never will as history is showing.

Those that are against the killing of the sea lions should stop eating salmon to offset the loss.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:52 am

wawaverider wrote: Some environmentalists are crazy and out of touch with reality!

What do you mean "some"......
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby speelyei » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:15 pm

so do you figure that when somebody shoots a couple sea lions, the other sea lions will swim back and warn all the others? "hey guys! they're poppin a cap in dudes that swim up by Bonneville, better let the heat cool down and hang here on the docks at Astoria for a couple months till this all blows over. Hey, anybody wanna take a second bite of this salmon before I throw it away??? OK, Im just gonna toss it then..."
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Trula » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 am

Wait didn't anyone hear that the sea lions were not shot. They died from overheating. The only fishy thing was how the trap got shut.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 am

ship them to the eskimos and inuits, they need the blubber and meat.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Trula » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Yeah so we won't feel guilty drilling in Artic Wildlife Refuge
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Trula wrote:Yeah so we won't feel guilty drilling in Artic Wildlife Refuge

That's the way it would play. We would also give them stock in some refrigerator company.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Previous

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners