Change font size   Print view

Hand gesture comeback

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Bring back....

OK
No votes
Thumbs up
14%
Fawk you
29%
Peace
No votes
Shaka
No votes
Hand of rock
14%
Other
43%

Total votes : 7

Hand gesture comeback

Postby clint jones » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 am

Lots of talk around here about bringing back hand gestures. Some say the we need to use the "OK" more often. That's the one where the pointer finger and the thumb forming a glorious circle while the other fingers fanning out, you know, The Fonz used it to nail lots of checks in the 50's. That gesture has been known to be used for other purposes. But now some want to take it back and use it one the streets and in the water. Others want to use the "thumbs up". That's the classic, timeless gesture where you make a first with all fingers except the thumb, which stand straight up like a regal statue. They actually claim "it's making a comeback". I don't know about that, but I see it from time to time. The others out there are things like the Johnny Cash classic "fawk you", the smelly hippy-tacular "peace sign", the Haole's pukashelled "shakabrah", and the devilworshipping Texas fatboy's "hand of rock". The hand of rock is where you point the pointer (AKA picking) finger and the little finger but the rest of the hand is clenched in a fist, thumb wrapped under and around both the #2 & #3 fingers only over the fingernails. It's got many names, but I personally like that name coined by John Howe of Lake Oswego in roughly 1990.

Okay....

Thumbs up...

Fawk you...

Peace...

Shaka...

Hand of rock...

clint jones
surfing improved my love life

Postby redliner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:25 am

I'm running around 50/50 right now- split between shaka and Fawk you...

...however it changes to 90/10 in favor of the shaka in 12 days.
It always gets good after everyone leaves.
redliner
neoprene queen

Postby bluesilver » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

didn't know the F-U was ever out.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby clint jones » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 am

I've always been down with f-u. It comes in handy all the time in SoCal traffic.
clint jones

Postby pickleweed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 am

Apparently, I'm in, or was in a gang??? so I need to figure out some form of hand gestures to represent my, "set"

I'm thinking of using a modified O.K. Sign, but with the fingers pulled in, rather than extended, kind of like your jacking off but there's no dick in your hand. It kind of forms an O, the O represents the {o}cean

Hollaaaa..........!
pickleweed

Postby bluesilver » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 am

word... but I think that already means "zero", or "O" in sign language. You may think of a variation to your variation.

bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby holddown » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 am

redliner wrote:I'm running around 50/50 right now- split between shaka and Fawk you...

Maybe you should just eliminate the decision and combine the two. You could call it the "fawk you brah"
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby pickleweed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 pm

holddown wrote:
redliner wrote:I'm running around 50/50 right now- split between shaka and Fawk you...

Maybe you should just eliminate the decision and combine the two. You could call it the "fawk you brah"

I kind of like that. It's kind of like the "Dog in the mirror" You chose what you want to see, the middle finger, or the shaka. Your choice.

You want to be pissed, you see the middle finger. You want to be stoked, you see the shaka.

You could even call that gesture, "The Dog in the Mirror" like the middle finger is called the bird
pickleweed

Postby bluesilver » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 pm

We are staring a revolution here, folks.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby pickleweed » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Wasn't it Nixon who used to throw up the double peace signs?

Like when he was getting on his helicopter, or at the end of a speech

It's kind of funny to think of a hand gesture as an Oxymoron

On KCTS last night they did a thing on Vietnam and apparently he was going to drop the bomb, as in nuclear, on Nam, but he didn't because of the protests

Double Peace signs???? :shock:
pickleweed

Postby clint jones » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:10 pm

On KCTS last night they did a thing on Vietnam and apparently he was going to drop the bomb, as in nuclear, on Nam, but he didn't because of the protests

Double Peace signs????

Yep, maybe he should use a single peace sign along with a right handed, vigourous F-you. Then dropped 100 Bunker Buster bombs instead of the Big Ol Nuke. I'm just throwing out another option for him.
clint jones

Postby bluesilver » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Read a really good book about SOG in nam........
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:28 am

I guess McCain agrees with me about the thumbs up making a comeback
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby brobra » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 pm

When I see people driving with surfboards on the car, I make a two handed gesture. With my right arm I hold my elbow up, wrist back, and fingers kind of down (supposed to look like an ocean wave) With my left hand, I use my two fingers like it is someones legs, and I have the legs ride my wave (usually hitting the lip hard). This is usually performed while driving down hwy26. Ive yet had anyone return the gesture.
brobra
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby clint jones » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm almost over the "nugs" handshake. When you see a white, 70 year old, librarian looking dude smashing nuckless with his equally caucasian wife, you know it's jumped the shark.

clint jones

Next

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners