Change font size   Print view

Downhill...all the way.

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Re: Downhill...all the way.

Postby erzats » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Nothing, and I mean not one single thing, that is any good has been had in my life through anything less than pain, heart ache, adversity, stress, throwing myself into the wall, into the mix, and falling, falling, getting back up, and falling some more.

Do you think her attitude is any different? Can anybody here understand the level of pressure that she's been under over these Olympics? Not even close. "The course was too bumpy" is probably true and surely doesn't reflect everything that happened here.

Lindsey Vonn is an example of an American.

She is a prime example of an entire people that have become complacent, entitled, fat, lazy, boring, and complete prim donnas.

This is great. Shows that you have no idea how hard people have to work to ski even remotely as well as Vonn does. Maybe your view is distorted by the lens of surfing which, at the level that most of us practice it, takes hardly any physical fitness. Vonn is fitter than you and fitter than pretty much anyone else on the Womens world cup and you use her as a metaphor for lazy Americans? What's wrong with you?

...but that is just it…most of us never will... An entire country full of Lindsey Vonn’s whining about the challenges that they are faced with.

There are two things here. One, most of us never will but all of us can and should. If you are feeling badly about yourself f---ing change.

Two: if you think that the US is an entire country full of whiners, you are dead wrong and need to look harder at the cool, smart, creative, inspiring shite that goes down all over the place in the US. One of the greatest attributes of this country is that we don't take what comes as the way it shall be forever (although the conservative morons are an exception). Look at the arts in Portland, look at the shite that gets built here, look at the architecture. Don't forget that all of the technological innovations that you blame for our complacence were innovated in this country. I hate ipods and iphones more than most, but am strangely gratified that people from the US were smart enough design them. That's not laziness.

In my science I'm surrounded by people who were educated in Europe and have a much fuller grasp of physics, math, language, etc which reflects a superior educational system. These people are damn smart, work really hard, and were successful in their PhDs etc. However, these folk have almost no creative spark and thus the science that comes out of the US is often superior to that of European institutions. Americans are creative and go far with it.

This country is not as sleepy and complacent as you think. But if people like you keep griping that it is, that the old timers worked harder, that things were better way back when, then you will make it in your image. Any vision of the future is a self fulfilling prophesy in a way. Such visions cast models of what the future will be. If you cast an ugly, lazy, boring mold then prepare yourself to receive that shithole of a place to live. But if you amplify the good you'll get something worth living.
erzats
core!

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 am

Seems your under the false pretense that the United States invented all of the amazing technology the world has, like the internet?

Some countries are more advanced than we are in the technology area.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 am

bluesilver wrote: like the internet?

I thought it was originally a network for scientists involved with the Manhattan project.

If you go to Japan it's remarkable how much more they've embraced technologies. Some things like their transportation system are much nicer but as far the latest and greatest doohickey I'm glad Americans are far behind. Being in Japan is like being in a non-stop commercial.

On the bus the other day there were about ten people with the exact same headphones and Ipods from different walks of life, all slightly bobbing and weaving to their respective music. It was freaky, like a modern day Metropolis.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 am

Not familiar with the use of internet and the Manhattan Proj., but I have been under the idea that internet was invented and developed in Europe led by the Swiss of all people.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:16 am

Great minds do, afterall, come from other countries as well. I bet a lot of Americans think Picasso is from Texas. Or Einstein from Florida...
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby speelyei » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 pm

you're falling flat BS, just stop.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby bluesilver » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm

quit whining and go back to your etch-a-sketch (probably invented in America). This is called the "downhill all the way" thread, I don't think it will be going back up anytime soon.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Ceedog » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm

this thread is aptly named....
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Gazsurf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:12 pm

bluesilver wrote:quit whining and go back to your etch-a-sketch (probably invented in America). This is called the "downhill all the way" thread, I don't think it will be going back up anytime soon.

Do you surf?
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Gazsurf wrote:
bluesilver wrote:quit whining and go back to your etch-a-sketch (probably invented in America). This is called the "downhill all the way" thread, I don't think it will be going back up anytime soon.

Do you surf?

Best post today.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm

erzats wrote:Do you think her attitude is any different? Can anybody here understand the level of pressure that she's been under over these Olympics? Not even close. "The course was too bumpy" is probably true and surely doesn't reflect everything that happened here.

No....absolutely not. Each of the athletes earned their right to be there. You had to hear the tone in her voice in the NPR interview. It was the tone of an indulged child.

Lindsey Vonn is an example of an American.

She is a prime example of an entire people that have become complacent, entitled, fat, lazy, boring, and complete prim donnas.

This is great. Shows that you have no idea how hard people have to work to ski even remotely as well as Vonn does. Maybe your view is distorted by the lens of surfing which, at the level that most of us practice it, takes hardly any physical fitness.

Let me rephrase that...I am attacking the general laziness and entitled attitude of Americans in general. Not her's in particular. What I mean is, her whining about the course as a reason that she did not do well in that particular race was lame and representative of the excuses I see in the lives of those I run into from day to day.

Vonn is fitter than you

So are most Girl Scouts.

and fitter than pretty much anyone else on the Womens world cup and you use her as a metaphor for lazy Americans?

again...it triggered a thought on the 'attitude'...I obviously did not articulate that well enough.

What's wrong with you?

Depending on with whom you speak...a lot.

...but that is just it…most of us never will... An entire country full of Lindsey Vonn’s whining about the challenges that they are faced with.

There are two things here. One, most of us never will but all of us can and should. If you are feeling badly about yourself f---ing change.

Only my waife and my God know what my challenges are that I deal with or the ways in which I contribute to make this world better....or not... but rest easy knowing that in either case...I sleep very well at night.

Two: if you think that the US is an entire country full of whiners, you are dead wrong and need to look harder at the cool, smart, creative, inspiring shart that goes down all over the place in the US. One of the greatest attributes of this country is that we don't take what comes as the way it shall be forever (although the conservative morons are an exception). Look at the arts in Portland, look at the shart that gets built here, look at the architecture. Don't forget that all of the technological innovations that you blame for our complacence were innovated in this country. I hate ipods and iphones more than most, but am strangely gratified that people from the US were smart enough design them. That's not laziness.

Five years ago, and up to 1 year ago, actually, scratch that...for 8 of the last 9 years all I heard was how stupid Americans are. how ugly they are. How fat, lazy, ignorant etc they are. Now we have a Dem in the big house and all of a sudden you libs get all patriotic and pro-american. Pick a freakin lane.

On a side note...I have not seen or heard an anti-war rant since Nevember of last year. Funny how that works.

But I digress....

In my science I'm surrounded by people who were educated in Europe and have a much fuller grasp of physics, math, language, etc which reflects a superior educational system. These people are damn smart, work really hard, and were successful in their PhDs etc. However, these folk have almost no creative spark and thus the science that comes out of the US is often superior to that of European institutions. Americans are creative and go far with it.

I have nothing intelligent to say about that. You would know more than me. I have a GED and about 1 1/2 credits from PCC so what the f@#K do I know about higher education?

This country is not as sleepy and complacent as you think. But if people like you keep griping that it is, that the old timers worked harder, that things were better way back when, then you will make it in your image. Any vision of the future is a self fulfilling prophesy in a way. Such visions cast models of what the future will be. If you cast an ugly, lazy, boring mold then prepare yourself to receive that shithole of a place to live. But if you amplify the good you'll get something worth living.

There were many generations that knew greater hardships than we will ever know, and they sucked it up. They did not whine about having to wait too long in line at Starbucks, nor did they act like their needs were the only thing they were concerned with.

ps: I am not going to spell check because I have to piss really bad.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby holddown » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 am

erzats wrote:... Don't forget that all of the technological innovations that you blame for our complacence were innovated in this country. I hate ipods and iphones more than most, but am strangely gratified that people from the US were smart enough design them. That's not laziness.

No, it's not laziness. It's capitalism.
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby bluesilver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 am

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:
Gazsurf wrote:

Do you surf?

Best post today.

Coming from a non-surfer.

I don't get out as much as you, Gaz, .. As far as I know. Do you?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 am

ezrats, why do you hate ipods?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Re:

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

bluesilver wrote:Coming from a non-surfer.

If you are referring to me as a non-surfer...dude I could not surf for the next ten years and still have racked up more wave time in my life than you. Tool.

And I use 'tool' in the nicest and most endearing way.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners