Change font size   Print view

Road trip: Florida to Oregon

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Re: Road trip: Florida to Oregon

Postby gremlin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:44 am

grizldoldfk wrote:gremlin-
there's so many waves here, you don't ever have to surf with another human in the water if you don't want to. but usually it's nice to have company...one or two close friends. (i just got out of the water. glassy head high. just me and a friend.- drove down the coast today and saw a dozen spots i could've surfed. no one was at any of them. granted, today was not epic by any means.)
the spots you've heard about are obviously not secret and that's why you've heard about them. but some spots that are popular are fun actually.
compared to sebastian inlet, there is no such thing as crowds here. even the hyped spots.
i think you'll be blown away by the beauty of the places, the coolness of most of the people and the potential quality of the waves.
let me emphasize "most" and "potential".
happy travels.

griz, thanks a bunch. Of course there always the exceptions, but it sounds fantastic and I can't wait to get there... Leaving 3 July.....
Everything is possible; the impossible just takes longer.
gremlin
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Ceedog » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 pm

gremlin wrote:Hey Wilbur, took a job in McMinnville, will be staying for awhile.....

griz, I'm taking the north route through Nebraska, Utah, etc.... Only local BS here is around Sebastian Inlet and New Smyrna, but it's just like anywhere.... Paddle out, don't drop in on anyone, and show them what you got... earn the respect......

I've done the I-10 and I-40 routes before........ Anyone take the north route before?

Nebraska sucks. 2.5 days through that Godforsaken state but only with a pregnant wife and an old hound
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby bluesilver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

gremlin wrote:slim and blue..... why the comments you made?

Sorry brah, just laughing at the thread as a whole. Occasionally these guys can turn on the humor.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:59 pm

gremlin wrote:
grizldoldfk wrote:gremlin-
there's so many waves here, you don't ever have to surf with another human in the water if you don't want to. but usually it's nice to have company...one or two close friends. (i just got out of the water. glassy head high. just me and a friend.- drove down the coast today and saw a dozen spots i could've surfed. no one was at any of them. granted, today was not epic by any means.)
the spots you've heard about are obviously not secret and that's why you've heard about them. but some spots that are popular are fun actually.
compared to sebastian inlet, there is no such thing as crowds here. even the hyped spots.
i think you'll be blown away by the beauty of the places, the coolness of most of the people and the potential quality of the waves.
let me emphasize "most" and "potential".
happy travels.

griz, thanks a bunch. Of course there always the exceptions, but it sounds fantastic and I can't wait to get there... Leaving 3 July.....

Leave earlier so that you can be surfing in Seaside on the 4th.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby gremlin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Would rather be getting wet the 4th as opposed to driving, I assure you.... I'm really looking forward to Oregon....
gremlin

Postby speelyei » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 am

if you were in Oregon, you probably would get wet on the 4th, but it would have nothing to do with surf. All day you'd watch 25mph winds across a white-chop sea of ripples, and then stand under a dripping wet army blanket in the dark watching a low slung fog bank turn purple, red, and orange, as the high humidity muffled even the boom of the fireworks.

surfing in oregon is about disappointment, hope, and the endeavor to persevere.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby gremlin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 am

speelyei wrote:surfing in oregon is about disappointment, hope, and the endeavor to persevere.

Excellent, very similar to Florida; except for the rain part......
gremlin

Postby grizldoldfk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 am

surf report 6/26/10 8:37am mountain time
utah's great salt lake

flat with onshore winds.
looks like oregon's experiencing the same.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby grizldoldfk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 am

deep in the oregon outback we passed a white jeep with a blue longboard on top. i saw it coming for a mile or so. crazy vizibility out there. and we hadn't seen another car for several miles. anyway. i threw up the shaka and a big grin (laughing at the kook so far from the ocean with a log on his rig) as he passed i saw a deep satisfaction in his eyes and a dark tan that told me...i'm the kook...
i had to imagine that he knew something that obviously i didn't. i told my wife, i bet that dude just got done surfing one of these irrigation canals out here. probably all alone. all day.
what a kook.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby grizldoldfk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 am

surf report-zion national park-southern utah

it's gonna be a scorcher today!
winds are calm and crowds are mellow
waves are still a little lacking, but the scenery is great!
opting to skip this morning's session and head for a secret spot south of here.
there's a place they call "the grand canyon", and on the maps it looks like lots of points and possible reefs.
i hope the locs are not too burly.
i'll post again post sesh.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Hey gremlin, have you been surfin oil slick lately? Just curious if your around all that.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby gremlin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:39 pm

pra_ggresion wrote:Hey gremlin, have you been surfin oil slick lately? Just curious if your around all that.

It hasn't hit here....... yet.......... A horrible, horrible situation......... :evil: The worst is yet to come, I'm sure......
Heading your way Saturday....
gremlin

Postby erzats » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm

gremlin wrote:
pra_ggresion wrote:Hey gremlin, have you been surfin oil slick lately? Just curious if your around all that.

It hasn't hit here....... yet.......... A horrible, horrible situation......... :evil: The worst is yet to come, I'm sure......
Heading your way Saturday....

Just let us know when you are within 200 miles and we'll load up the ticker tape cannons and send our hottest ladies in your direction.
erzats
core!

Postby gremlin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 pm

erzats wrote:Just let us know when you are within 200 miles and we'll load up the ticker tape cannons and send our hottest ladies in your direction.

Excellent, you guys rock..... 8)
gremlin

Postby nm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:58 pm

gremlin wrote:
erzats wrote:Just let us know when you are within 200 miles and we'll load up the ticker tape cannons and send our hottest ladies in your direction.

Excellent, you guys rock..... 8)

pretty sure I'm busy then... :roll:

:lol:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners