Change font size   Print view

Road trip: Florida to Oregon

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

Re: Road trip: Florida to Oregon

Postby grizldoldfk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 pm

"g.c." was of tha hook!
huge coves and headlands to block the wind. right points left points reefs a couple sandy beachbreaks.
we musta got there after the crowds because it seemed like we had it all to ourselves.
tons of hot chicks and europeans and even lots of families. everyone was friendly, but the only con was that most of the water had either evaporated long ago, or was too far away to carry my sup. (but i took lots of pics and plan to share them freely in any format i wish with no ragard for the locals.)

noticed a few sup's on rigs headed toward lake powell this afternoon. i guess they're stoked.

i'll try to post a report from tomorrow's sesh at the petrified forest. i think it's a beginner break but we'll see.

(and yo! i'll give you the dirt on the oil. just gimme some time to get there.)

*posted from a corner on winslow arizona. looks like they have meth here too.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby erzats » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 am

nm wrote:
gremlin wrote:
erzats wrote:Just let us know when you are within 200 miles and we'll load up the ticker tape cannons and send our hottest ladies in your direction.

Excellent, you guys rock..... 8)

pretty sure I'm busy then... :roll:

:lol:

Gremlin, the fact of the matter is that we only have one hot lady and she's taken. But, we'll see what we can do.
erzats
core!

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:50 am

surf report-weatherford oklahoma public library

you guys probably don't think i'm so funny, but i don't care. you don't have to live with me. i do.

it's hot and humid and smallish swells rolling. the breeze is barely chopping the tops of the longboard only swell.
i did (really) pass a sedan with two padded board bags headed back to the main breaks outside of amarillo. they can have it!
i figure they were probably coming back from some gulf surf, and were in a hurry to get to p.c. for some epicness.

my team is down for some choppy ozark breaks maybe this evening, but i'm concerned we'll be timing it bad with the 4th of july kooks.
oh well...when you're a traveller, you gotta be a tourist.

by the way. if anyone goes over to florence for the 4th, i hope you get skunked, and i hope you take your trash with you.
-griz

my next report will be from ozark hillbilly sesh, then on into the bayou. check back for an oil slick report.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:51 am

hey gremlin- where ya at?
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby gremlin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Leaving in the a.m., 0300 Pacific time...... 8)
Everything is possible; the impossible just takes longer.
gremlin
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Ceedog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Watch out for the gators crossing hwy 10, we almost helped one commit suicide e. of Mobile.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby gremlin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Sleeping in Salt Lake City tonight, McMinnville tomorrow night........ :twisted:
gremlin

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 pm

You know Grem, Salt Lake is not bad.....good skiing nearby, fair weather, you can have more than one wife......much better than Oregon....

Take your time...look around....

I know a few people out there....I could get you a job a pretty quick....

Think about it.....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby grizldoldfk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:48 am

salt lake city was nice. it's true.

last update for a while-friday east coast time-tallahassee florida
hot as fuhk. (105)

i'm very pleased to report that i didn't personally see any oil when we stopped for a body surf at pensacola beach on the fourth. in fact, the beach was pure as snow. one of my team members asked if it was powdered sugar and i told him yes.
there was an onshore breeze and a crowd of folks on the beach and a pre fireworks party including jimmy buffet live music (not jimmy-but he is playing gulf shores al this weekend)
i would have joked about it before, but i'll attest to actual chest high thumpers on an outside sandbar and a strong rip toward the jetty. it could have been surfed. no lie. it was a very welcome stop for my team, and a good welcome to our state of destination.
as we left, we ended up on a toll road and told the nice lady we enjoyed it and she asked if we'd seen any oil, and she said she'd heard that someone else knew somebody who saw it and whatnot, but she seemed to almost get teary eyed when she told us in her lovely southern drawl, "well, we thank you for coming out here. it means more to us than you know."

the only indication of the oil (to us in our brief visit) was the yellow booms in the waterway under the bridge (there and lake ponchartrain la) and a little sign as we stepped onto the sand saying to avoid contact to prevent it from spreading...

i love florida. it's sad as hell. i grew up here boys and girls.
so far i've had some good shrimp, grouper, and crab. and grits.
i hope i can get some appillachee bay oysters soon. but i hear they'e up to twice the price as before...

ya'll take care.
gremlin-welcome to oregon
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby gremlin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks.... Arrived Tuesday morning...... Started work yesterday..... Eating breakfast in Newberg now and heading to the coast this morning..... Going to check it out.... My boards aren't here yet, but want to see it nonetheless... Can't wait to get wet in the near future.... :twisted:
gremlin

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:07 pm

gremlin wrote:Can't wait to get wet in the near future.... :twisted:

Oh you will.....about the first week of September...

Of course you will be suicidal by February though....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:27 am

finally got some appalachicola bay oysters. better than i remembered.
prices are up. business is down. people are worried...with good reason.
i will be dining on those little oysters as much as possible.
the oil is a threat. everyone knows its coming.
it's sad.
anyway. it's been a great trip.
ate at cabos tacos-a surf themed joint here in the capital. doing great business. everybody loves surfing and tacos.

ya'll take care-last report for a while
(oh-saw 14 gators yesterday on the river-then went for a swim)
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby grizldoldfk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:36 pm

update form the gulf-
checked pinfish traps out off panacea today. they'd been there a month, and there were a decent assortment of grunts and pinfish...bass and a few crabs, one blue.
no oil that i could see...but they'd put booms along the inside of ocklocknee bay. talked to a dude checking a psi device ducktaped to a sign post at the dead end here at alligator point. he said...yeah...alot of money...alot of money to monitor this oil spill.
he was hired thru a fed office to check the air to see if the burnoff had affected it.
said not much variation here, but...gulf shores...no...gulf isle... they got bad air from the burnoff.
maybe ya'll don't care anymore.
anyway. my dad got a new boat and it's sick. perfect for fishing.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Careful, some of the more volatile chemicals in crude oil like benzene can show up undetected far before any rainbow sheen.

Hope your area doesn't get screwed by the oil.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby grizldoldfk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 pm

ignorance is bliss i guess.
but i ate my last oysters probably tonight. the coastal (restaraunt) was taking them off the menu cuzza hard to get. i got em in a big man's platter and they were as small as the ones from the seine yard. might be it for oysters.
that's pretty bad.
i don't know if the coastal has ever been out of oysters.
and they've had em for a long long time.
i ate em on the beach with my old high school/dead shows buddy and my wife and we watched our kids chase the ghost crabs. it was pretty nice.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

PreviousNext

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners