Change font size   Print view

The dream is "DEAD"

This forum is for SURF topics such as localism and rants that are usually negative in nature. If you're a baby, complainer, or generally think you're right and everyone else is wrong this is the place for you. PLEASE NOTE, all forum rules still apply, but just a little more liberally enforced. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Wilbur Kookmeyer

The dream is "DEAD"

Postby Sparky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 pm

I see people talking about the occupy portland a lot and thats all i hear on the news is Occupy Portland Or Occupy this other city. Will it accomplish anything? No not unless they change their tactics. Unfortunetly they have no say in how the laws are written. Untill they find a way to put pressure on the people who write and pass the laws, nothing is going to change. As to why are so many people out in the streets and "Occupying" every damn city in America? Well thats pretty easy to explain. The dream, aka the american dream is DEAD. When most of us were growing up, we all knew that if we went to college and put in the hard work we would be rewarded with a good paying job or at least some sort of opportunity. Look around people, those days are gone. You can get a master degree and be lucky to have 2 shifts at McDonalds and a shift at the local 7-11.
Granted not all of us went to college and went that route but the dream was doable, it was there if you only wanted it bad enough. Not everyone persued the dream but we all knew it was out there. If college was not your cup of tea then there was always the trades, you could be a carpenter or an electrician, or work at a factory or machine shop. All those jobs had good standard of living wages.
Younger people only want the opportunity to have the same dream we all did, a shot. They do not necassarily want it handed to them but they do want to know that if they work hard enough there is something worth while at the end of the journey.

K now all you spell nazis have fun slammin me on my poor spelling
Love many, trust few, do harm to none!
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Re: The dream is "DEAD"

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 pm

I disagree.
There's a surprise.

The dream is not dead. In a way, the Occupy folks are part of that dream. they ahve a vision, and they are putting their heart into it.

That is their part of 'The Dream'.

I think that is where people go wrong with the idea of the 'the dream'. We somehow grow up thinking that the dream is one thing. Is siloed in it's nature. THE Golden Ring.

But it is not.

It may be the white picket fence, 2 1/2 kids and a dog in the yard, or it may be a desire to change the system itself. Or maybe it is to drop form the grid altogether and chase the efermal spirit of a true surfer. Or maybe it is simply to go to work, and mow the yard on the weekend.

These things, and many more things, make up The Dream.

If one's idea of the dream was a good life on 8 hours a day, two weeks vacation with the familly in the summer, and a chicken in every pot...well...maybe that was the wrong dream.

The dream of achieving, of reaching out from your place in the world, and driving towards something...anything...and being willing to sacrifice what one needs to to get it.....that to me is the ultimate Amercian Dream.

Remember, you were promised the right to the pursuit of happiness....you were never promised happiness itself.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Sparky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:10 am

I never said we were promised anything including happiness. All I was pointing out was there was always opportunities available to you if you put forth the effort. I never said if you went to college, got a degree you were going to get that great job paying big bucks, but if you did put forth the effort, got that degree, there would be the opportunity to get that great job that paid the big bucks. A big portion of those jobs are GONE to other countries. Maybe not everyone aspires to live in a house with a white picket fence 2 1/2 kids and a dog in the yard, that I can agree upon but I am pretty sure no one aspires to be jobless, hungry, homeless and to have no opportunity. You may not be in that situation yourself but there are people who are, or are heading that direction, and I am guessing they are not thrilled about their opportunities for the future. Just food for thought.
Love many, trust few, do harm to none!
Sparky
coast guard rescue float

Postby 2tone » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:36 pm

It is all but a dream... Every moment a new opportunity... Every decision a new possibility...
2tone
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:29 pm

once you awaken from the dream, you will learn that to give all is to have all and that dismissal of the ego will yield immense joy
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Return to Haters, Ranters & Whiners